Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Himeno
"I am unable to assume the position."
D-Y-W-T-F-T?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by stifle
D-Y-W-T-F-T?
Albanese might be getting bribed by DHS, but I don't think the contract guards at the checkpoints are as brainless as the TSA.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:53 am

RadioGirl, it's your personal decision, but frankly the way that you present the UK checkpoints doesn't match up with my very regular experiences as someone who also has limitations. Perhaps you are basing your decisions on something which isn't really the current situation, and using some of the posts on FT as validation.

I don't agree with you on this point, although we do often agree on other subjects. I'll continue to fly from the UK (and have 4 LHR flights in the coming 3 weeks) until something changes to convince me otherwise. I have yet to have one single negative experience flying from the UK in the last two years, and am very glad that I switched from US to UK flying. (In fact, the only negatives about LHR flying is the number of Americans, and I have stated before why I feel that way... If only BAA would take my suggestion and create a lane at T3/T5 for American AFSers, my experiences would improve)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by exbayern
RadioGirl, it's your personal decision, but frankly the way that you present the UK checkpoints doesn't match up with my very regular experiences as someone who also has limitations. Perhaps you are basing your decisions on something which isn't really the current situation, and using some of the posts on FT as validation.

I don't agree with you on this point, although we do often agree on other subjects. I'll continue to fly from the UK (and have 4 LHR flights in the coming 3 weeks) until something changes to convince me otherwise. I have yet to have one single negative experience flying from the UK in the last two years, and am very glad that I switched from US to UK flying. (In fact, the only negatives about LHR flying is the number of Americans, and I have stated before why I feel that way... If only BAA would take my suggestion and create a lane at T3/T5 for American AFSers, my experiences would improve)
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I have no doubt that UK checkpoints are better than those in the US, but given the woeful state of US airport security, that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

My experiences flying into or through LHR (and to a lesser extent, LGW) between ~1991 and ~2007 were not great.

In the early 90s I asked for some film canisters to be hand-examined, only to have them grabbed from my hands and chucked into the x-ray machine.

Pre 9/11, my colleague's shoes which had been fine in numerous airports set off the metal detector at LHR, and the security agent was quite rude about it.

After 2001 for several years, it was guesswork whether you had to take your shoes off (at the transit centre, at least): there were signs saying "shoes must be removed", screeners telling people in the line they could leave their shoes on, and then someone at the WTMD chastising everyone for not removing their shoes like the sign said. The next time, signs still said "remove your shoes" but no one did; it wasn't clear when you got to the checkpoint whether you'd need to or not. One time, everyone in line for THIS checkpoint had to remove their shoes, but the people in line for THAT checkpoint didn't.

LHR is where someone opened my Kippie bag (before I could say anything), randomly chose an item, squeezed some moisturizer on her gloved finger and went off to test it. The tube had been almost empty; I was going to use the last of it on my flight, but I just threw it out.

My flights into LHR from Australia were often late (not the airport's fault), the checkpoint line was very long, and I missed my connection to Europe. Or I just barely made my flight but my baggage didn't. Not the end of the world, but a major headache when I had planned to arrive at my destination with time to do some shopping and have dinner and instead arrived late at night.

Don't get me wrong; I've been treated much worse in the USA. Is it just the prospect of the body scanner that puts me off? No, it was just the tipping point. Why would I choose LHR when (a) my metal implant increases my chance of being scanned and (b) there are other airports in Europe without body scanners?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:44 pm

"I am unable to assume the position."
D-Y-W-T-F-T?
Albanese might be getting bribed by DHS, but I don't think the contract guards at the checkpoints are as brainless as the TSA.
Well, that's one of the unknowns: how they will deal with people who can't raise their hands... We shall see.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:29 pm

Still no reply to any questions from anyone in government...

Anyone want to get something started here? http://www.change.org/en-AU/start-a-petition
It's worth a try at least. I'm not the best with writing things like this...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Has their been any update from the government about the implementation of the NoS?

I'm still curious as to what they'll do for the people who are physically unable to assume the position. (wheelchair, etc)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Has their been any update from the government about the implementation of the NoS?

I'm still curious as to what they'll do for the people who are physically unable to assume the position. (wheelchair, etc)
I have never gotten any reply from anyone other then a repeat of the transport ministers quotes.

I didn't see anything when I went through SYD int, but that was 6 weeks ago.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:29 pm

(What follows is a long-winded way of saying "I'm not sure." )

The media release in August said they'd be rolled out "from November this year." As with most gov't programs I'd be surprised if the date doesn't slip a bit, so they may not be in use yet. (I don't have any int'l travel planned until next year.)

There is a FAQ here which includes:
What if I can't go through the body scanner due to health issues?

The Government understands that some people will be unable to undergo a body scan for a variety of reasons. In order to undergo a body scan, a person must be able to stand upright and still for several seconds with their hands above their head.

Persons with medical or physical conditions that prevent them from undertaking a body scan will be offered alternative screening methods suitable to their circumstances. These alternative screening methods will consist of those already used at Australia's aviation security screening points.
And this page from the Dept of Transport has a set of links about "Special Circumstances" most of which relate to physical limitations. While not explicitly addressing people in wheelchairs (which seems an odd omission), it says this about vision-impaired passengers:

A screening officer may determine that in some cases, vision impaired passengers may be more effectively screened by undergoing alternative screening rather than a body scan. Alternative screening will consist of methods that are currently used to screen vision impaired passengers.

If a visually impaired passenger is travelling with a service animal, they will not be separated from their service animal at any time throughout the screening process and will therefore not be body scanned. ...

Canes cannot be taken through a body scanner. Vision impaired travellers can be screened by alternative methods if they are not able to be separated from their cane.
So it appears there will be "alternative methods" as "currently used" for people who can't physically use the scanner.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
As part of the no opt-out policy adopted by the Government, an individual will be unable to request to undergo a frisk search as an alternative to a body scan. The style of frisk search currently used at Australian airports simply cannot provide the same security outcome that a body scanner can.

They say that the NoS works for TSA, so it works for Australia.. But the gropes don't work for Australia...

Originally Posted by What If I Refuse?
If a person refuses to undergo a body scan, and they have no medical or physical condition which prevents them for undertaking a body scan, they will be refused clearance and not allowed to pass through the screening point. They therefore will not be allowed to board their aircraft. This policy will not only apply to passengers, but also to pilots, other aircrew, government officers and airport staff.
?!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

They say that the NoS works for TSA, so it works for Australia.. But the gropes don't work for Australia...
The style of frisk search does not meet the standard, and Australia doesn't wish to adopt the TSA's style of search presumably due to the potential for bad publicity.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:47 am

The style of frisk search does not meet the standard, and Australia doesn't wish to adopt the TSA's style of search presumably due to the potential for bad publicity.
Yet every submission to the parliamentary inquiries into the bill which addressed opt outs and pat downs said they would prefer a frisk search to a scan.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if these will still be mainly used for secondary screening (or random screening), or if body scanners will be used as the primary form of screening for all international passengers?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The installation location in MEL pointed to them being primary for some of the lines. Of course, they may install more.

Now, anybody who wants to hijack a plane is going to be seriously put off!! Actually, no, wait, they'll just take a domestic flight.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

So according to these articles, body scanners are unfortunately now in use in Australia.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226529897146

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...perth-airport/

The article from The Australian about the Brisbane airport scanners states "However she said passengers would have the option of undergoing three alternative security checks, including a metal detector scan, body frisk and explosives test." Does this mean that at this airport it may be possible to opt out to use these other three tests instead?

Also, the article about the installation at Perth states that passengers will be selected randomly to pass through the body scanners. Does this mean that selection at this airport will be random and not primary? Such as in Canada?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.