Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: QFF
>_<

I've asked this before but never got anything...

It looks like we are going to have to send letters to our MPs. I'm not the best at letter writing. Does anyone have some sort of template that can be used?

Just tried searching on http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au for more info. Can't find anything related to a "Aviation Security Amendment (Screening) Bill 2012". Only items from 2004 and a cargo related bill from last year.

Last edited by Himeno; Feb 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:30 pm

I left comments on the Courier Mail, Daily Telegraph and Adelaide Now articles. My comment on the Telegraph appears to have been rejected and most of the comments there appear positive. Nothing new posted to the Courier's comments since I sent mine.

I can't find any details about this anywhere. Only found contact details for MPs...

Anthony Albanese (Minister for Infrastructure and Transport): http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=R36
Warren Truss (Shadow Minister for Infrastructure and Transport) : http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=GT4

Senate: http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/senator...asp?sort=state
House of Reps (by Electorate): http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/mi-elctr.asp
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Our only hope is that the Coalition continue their (normally) obnoxious policy of opposing anything the government wants. In this case, I suspect they will just support it. If they do, it won't matter what anyone else thinks. If they oppose it, it will fail as the Greens will never support such a policy.

The only change I could see happening is a move to pat-downs rather than "no scan, no fly" if it goes to committee.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Our only hope is that the Coalition continue their (normally) obnoxious policy of opposing anything the government wants. In this case, I suspect they will just support it.
How do we get Tony to oppose it?

The only change I could see happening is a move to pat-downs rather than "no scan, no fly" if it goes to committee.
What's the likelihood of getting this to happen?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:40 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by Himeno
How do we get Tony to oppose it?

What's the likelihood of getting this to happen?
Tell him it causes abortions and he'll stop it tomorrow even from opposition.

Other than that absolutely no hope because he'll never have to walk through one.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ksharpe
Details are still sparse: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226262754990

I wonder if 1) they'll be used for everyone as primary screening, 2) whether or not they're MMW, and if so, if they're active or passive MMW.

Too bad because I found airport security here to be excellent, but now it looks like the Australians are going the way of the United Statesians.
They are MMW with ATR.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Fredd
I can no longer tell the world about the common-sense Aussie approach to boarding a plane.
This is terrible. Who in the US got to who in the Australian government and press-ganged them into this? These same scanning devices are being rejected in Europe right now as virtually useless. They're deployed in the US only because ex-government lobbyists representing the makers have made sweetheart deals with old friends in the public sector. This is infuriating and disturbing corruption, to say nothing of wasted taxpayers' money.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:26 am

A bunch of comments just got approved on the Courier Mail article going from 6 to 93, most of which are negitive (not wanting scanners). Other news sites where I posted comments haven't had anything new added since I sumbitted the comments.

Just found this in a "Legislation Proposed for Introduction in the 2012 Autumn Sittings" listing. http://www.dpmc.gov.au/parliamentary...egislation.pdf
Aviation Transport Security Amendment (Screening) Bill *
- strengthen Australia’s aviation security by introducing a range of optimal screening technologies, including body scanners, at international passenger screening points
- allow screening officers to assume implied consent for certain screening procedures when a person approaches the screening point for the purposes of receiving clearance to pass through the screening point
Reason for legislation: to strengthen Australia’s aviation security
Link to announcement: Media release of 9 February 2010 (http://www.minister.infrastructure.g...A024_2010.aspx)
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Fredd
No indeed. I can no longer tell the world about the common-sense Aussie approach to boarding a plane.

It looks like our early-June post Oz-Fest #9 departure from SYD will be just under the wire.
+1

Hopefully they're not installed for the departure from Oz Fest.. Maybe I'll bring a sling along
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by guflyer
This part scares me. Does this mean that there will be no opt out available after the trial is over (as in Britain)?
How prophetic
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:10 am

So much for "this week" (last week). The bill hasn't been tabled yet so no text of proposed amendment available to view. The house sits tomorrow and Thursday this week then both houses are back in session on the 27th (they have next week off).

Maybe they noticed the public hostility to the proposals mentioned in the media and are sitting on it. Or Albanese is planning to force it through when he thinks no one is watching.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:25 pm

So now that the bill has been tabled and we know what the idiot is planning, how are we going to combat this no opt out crap?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Himeno
So now that the bill has been tabled and we know what the idiot is planning, how are we going to combat this no opt out crap?
Wear a sling to the airport?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Wear a sling to the airport?
I was thinking more of trying to get the no opt out part of the bill removed before it gets voted on.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

I like your idea of trying to get the no-opt out part removed before it is voted on. Do you have any ideas for the best way to get this accomplished?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.