Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Yes, there is, but it applies to the airline, not you. As was stated in other threads, the FAA requires an airline to have a baggage policy that meets certain requirements. So technically, you're following the airline rule, but they are required by the FAA to have that rule.
Stating that the number and size of carryons is an FAA rule is therefore inaccurate, or a bit of a stretch at least. But hey, what's new?
There is a specific FAR (I'm too lazy to look up the number) that says you must obey crewmember instructions related to seats belts and smoking and the AA announcement says it correctly. But that's all.
FAR 121.317
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by chollie
I know the whole subject of socks/shoes in the cabin has been hotly debated before
It sure has! See this popular thread. A classic. (And really, aren't plane poopers more offensive than bare footers?)

Originally Posted by chollie
I don't walk around barefoot or in my regular socks. I don't want whatever is on the floor of the airplane (at my seat, aisle, in the bathroom) on my socks or bare feet. I also don't want it on my regular socks because I don't want to transfer it to the inside of my shoes.
Neither do I, for the same reason, but so what? If richard or anyone else chooses to walk around barefoot, it's nobody else's business. Just like those pointless "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs. It doesn't affect anyone else what you choose to wear on your feet.

Originally Posted by Thegweni
Unfortunately this seems to be the norm at the moment. FAs think they are TSA and can do anything they want.
Why anyone would want to be TSA is beyong imagination

Originally Posted by Thegweni
An FA recently told me not to be a big baby after she had told the passenger next to me to put his oversized bag (would not fit in the overhead bins) lengthways under the seat in front of me. When I asked her for her name she refused to give it and made a big scene with the pilot who, luckily did nothing.

On a recent international trip the FA threatened to remove a passenger who was complaining his seat was broken. They only backed down when I pointed out the passenger was no threat whatsoever and merely did not want to spend 8 hours in a broken seat.
Wow -- which airline do you fly? I want to avoid them for fear of running into one of those FAs!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Actually cardio I agree with most of what you said. I just try to be very conservative about a company making rules about things which could appear to be value judgments. Bare feet is a potential health concern. But my feeling was that Tizette was talking more about things like short sleeves, or removing shoes (keeping on socks) while seated. But I could have misunderstood.
Talking about a shirt so that arm pits are not exposed. Talking about keeping socks on. That's all.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by candi
I agree! Our societal customs have degraded and I wish there were codes to enforce men to wear heavy 3-piece suites, neckties and oxfords and women to wear tight fitting corsets and chastity belts. Appearances must be kept and to heck with the men sweating from overheating or the women fainting from body restrictions.

We must all look our best when we fly (and safe from sex)!
Those who enjoy our degraded societal customs, relax. Just muster up a shirt that covers your arm pits and a pair of socks long enough for a plane flight. (Surely you can stand staying safe from sex that long!)
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by anabolism
Just like those pointless "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs. It doesn't affect anyone else what you choose to wear on your feet.
Those are around because of liability issues, not because they actually care what you are wearing (for the most part)
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
Neither do I, for the same reason, but so what? If richard or anyone else chooses to walk around barefoot, it's nobody else's business. Just like those pointless "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs. It doesn't affect anyone else what you choose to wear on your feet.
That is just patently false. The no shoes issue is very important, especially in establishments like grocery stores and restaurants. A lot of people have very small cuts on feet, and it spreads blood, bacteria, viruses, and fungus around. Even socks (as was also mentioned) can help protect against this a little bit and is much better than bare feet. The next guy, also barefoot, would then be inoculated with bacteria smeared around from the first.

You doubt me?
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...=1099&bih=1005

It is also protection for the bare foot-wearer, to prevent them from being innoculated through micro-abrasions on their feet.

As a medically based policy, enforcing shoe wearing is extremely sound and a very good public health measure.

Again, for a healthy young person this might not be important. But as a policy it is smart, almost essential, to ban barefoot wearing, to avoid need for "foot inspection" by the flight attendants.

In almost all air carriers' contract of carriage passengers are required to wear shoes.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by rgfloor
That bag WAS reading material, it said Airsickness Bag on it and you read it!!
Haha. You got me there. But I suppose then my bag of pretzels is reading material too...it says "Pretzels"

It was probably SkyWest. But they weren't even supposed to allow reading material in there. A friend of mine is an SkyWest FA and she said they were asking them to require that nothing be in the seat pocket other than what the airline put there. Her feeling was that it had to do with concerns about seat pockets breaking. She ignored their request and only said something if there was a safety issue (e.g., a laptop put there).
No, it wasn't Skywest, but another regional carrier. This was over five years ago, and to this day I still remember the FA's name because it was pretty distinctive, she seemed like a nutcase and I wonder if I'll ever run into her again.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbart74
I'm still wondering, after 8 flights these past few weeks hearing the GA's tell me over the intercom that "FAA requires that all passengers may only carry one bag and one personal item onboard the aircraft." I never violate this rule as it has been in effect by the airlines long before the TSA came into existence (I am not confusing the TSA with the FAA) but it strikes me as odd that this is the new line over the past few years concerning carry-ons. Anyone have more info on that? Is it really an FAA rule?
It's not such an old rule. The "one carryon plus one personal item" rule was enacted by Norm Mineta, Secretary of Transportation, on October 8, 2001, five weeks before the passage of the Transportation Security Act which created the TSA. The rule was one of the recommendations of a task force Mineta had established immediately after September 11, and among its members was Bob Baker of American.

Prior to October 8, 2001, AA permitted F and J passengers to carryon three bags - yes, three carryon bags - I have dated ticket jackets and copies of the CofC to prove it. Not one or two plus a "personal item," but three bags. Those were the days. Rollaboard, laptop bag or briefcase plus folding garment bag to be hung in the closet. And no hassles by anyone about it.

The method by which Mineta's new edict was enacted was by requiring all airlines to immediately amend their carryon baggage rules to match the FAA's new mandate. Over the past few years, FAA inspectors have been hitting the airlines hard over failure to enforce their carryon bag limits - that's why you've heard of it more lately.

Most FAA regulations do not apply directly to passengers; most apply directly to airlines. But airlines are empowered to enforce their rules against passengers under the "must obey crewmember instructions" rule, and most airlines have been cracking down on carryons.

Bottom line: the carryon bag limit is an FAA rule.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: DL-DM/ 2MM
Originally Posted by richard
BTW, I wear shoes from taxi to takeoff, and final approach through landing, as these are the times most likely to require an evacuation of the plane.
Ditto on this. I think people are nuts to be barefoot during TO & L. I plan to get off that plane in an emergency and that is with shoes on and feet moving me to the exit, hole, breach or tear and outside.

Seems odd that an FA would claim such a rule when every airline's amenity package in international J and C has little socks in it for the passengers to use during flight. Now I am pretty certain that those are not considered shoes by the FAA, nor are they intended to be used with shoes, so I guess all those airlines are encouraging their passengers to be in violation of the FARs.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Stating that the number and size of carryons is an FAA rule is therefore inaccurate, or a bit of a stretch at least.
In many jurisdictions, it's not illegal to smoke in a restaurant, but the restaurant is required to ban smoking. So, if a server says "I'm sorry, the government doesn't allow you to smoke here?", are they making an inaccurate statement?

It's an FAA rule that airlines must limit carry-on bags to one plus a personal items plus items such as a musical instrument and camera stuff. I don't see how telling passengers that is "a stretch".
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
It's an FAA rule that airlines must limit carry-on bags to one plus a personal items plus items such as a musical instrument and camera stuff. I don't see how telling passengers that is "a stretch".
Then please cite the rule. FAR or CFR or any other statute. Airline CofCs don't count as an FAA rule.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by cardiomd
That is just patently false. The no shoes issue is very important, especially in establishments like grocery stores and restaurants. A lot of people have very small cuts on feet, and it spreads blood, bacteria, viruses, and fungus around. Even socks (as was also mentioned) can help protect against this a little bit and is much better than bare feet. The next guy, also barefoot, would then be inoculated with bacteria smeared around from the first.

You doubt me?
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...=1099&bih=1005

It is also protection for the bare foot-wearer, to prevent them from being innoculated through micro-abrasions on their feet.

As a medically based policy, enforcing shoe wearing is extremely sound and a very good public health measure.

Again, for a healthy young person this might not be important. But as a policy it is smart, almost essential, to ban barefoot wearing, to avoid need for "foot inspection" by the flight attendants.

In almost all air carriers' contract of carriage passengers are required to wear shoes.
Okay!

So why doesn't the TSA consider this when they insist on having passengers take off their shoes? It would be interesting, if statistics exist, to compare the risk of being harmed by the bad guys in flight versus acquiring an infection by walking through security without shoes!

Paranthetically, while I was proceeding through security for a trip to Toronto the other day, and stepped on a metal buckle. While no harm was done in this instance, I could easily have cut my foot. After picking it up I offered it to the TSO manning the metal detector. I opined that someone must have dropped this on the floor. I sensed he less than gracious in accepting it, but of course this was my read of his body language as I am not trained in SCOPE. In addition he may or may have not thanked me as it would have been inaudible, and his lips didn't move.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
BTW, I wear shoes from taxi to takeoff, and final approach through landing, as these are the times most likely to require an evacuation of the plane.
+100

The only time I take off my shoes is when we are at cruising altitude. They then go back on once we start to descend.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
I walk everywhere barefoot. If a store tells me to put shoes on, or in stores that require shoes, I comply. I have no problem going into an airport restroom barefoot. My immune system is fine and I am not troubled by it.
Richard

I am with you. I didn't have shoes other than "church shoes" for my first 10 years as a kid and I don't wear them unless I have to.

However, playing the devil's advocate, one could argue that if the plane were to crash and you needn't to make an emergency exit with glass, etc - it might slow you and hence everyone else down.

But please let us know AA's response!

Might be worth it to ask it in an ask a FA spot too (unless the powers that be hit you with double posting as they do me)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Those who enjoy our degraded societal customs, relax. Just muster up a shirt that covers your arm pits and a pair of socks long enough for a plane flight. (Surely you can stand staying safe from sex that long!)
I so completely agree with you. I think it's appalling that we even see skin at all. Hopefully you and I can start a movement (the NSS) where all women are required to wear Burqas so that no skin is shown. It's even repugnant for me to sit next to someone and be forced to view their hands or face. Ski masks and gloves should be mandatory. NO SKIN SHOWN!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.