Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jetbee
If you look at American Airlines Conditions of Carriage under "Acceptance of Passengers", you will find the following regulation:

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

6. Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or you

g. are barefoot

http://bit.ly/f5M75u
that's a good find, thank you!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:09 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
If you look at American Airlines Conditions of Carriage under "Acceptance of Passengers", you will find the following regulation:

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

g. are barefoot

All she needed to say was "it's AA regulation that you must have shoes on." I can totally see the next post popping and say "perhaps the OP heard her wrong." She probably said AA but he heard FAA!!

LAX
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:24 am

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US

g. are barefoot

WOW! Good find Jetbee! So the next question is why have I never been told by an AA FA to put my shoes back on. AA is by far my most common carrier. I've never been asked to put my shoes back on in the past 20 years. Interesting. And I am that guy who flies in shorts, sandals, and shirtsleeves most often as long as the weather permits. XYZ, J, and F.... interesting as I always feel like 'that guy' that the FA's will target especially when up front for just this sort of thing.

Hmmm....

JB
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:33 am

Southwest has virtually the same thing. From the COC:

6. Acceptance of Passengers
a. Refusal to Transport
General. Carrier may, in its sole discretion, refuse to transport, or may remove from an aircraft at any point, any Passenger in any of the circumstances listed below. The fare of any Passenger denied transportation or removed from Carrier’s aircraft en route under the provisions of this Article will be refunded in accordance with Article 9 of this Contract of Carriage. The sole recourse of any Passenger refused transportation or removed en route will be the recovery of the refund value of the unused portion of his Ticket. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any Passenger for any type of special, incidental, or consequential damages.
(8) Comfort and Safety. Carrier may refuse to transport, or remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger in any of the circumstances listed below as may be necessary for the comfort or safety of such Passenger or other Passengers and crew members:
(ii) Persons who are barefoot and older than five years of age, unless required due to a disability.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:35 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by jbart74
WOW! Good find Jetbee! So the next question is why have I never been told by an AA FA to put my shoes back on. AA is by far my most common carrier. I've never been asked to put my shoes back on in the past 20 years. Interesting. And I am that guy who flies in shorts, sandals, and shirtsleeves most often as long as the weather permits. XYZ, J, and F.... interesting as I always feel like 'that guy' that the FA's will target especially when up front for just this sort of thing.

Hmmm....

JB
I doubt many FAs are actually aware of this.

LAX
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
On a slightly related note, even though it is not a U.S. carrier, you would've been asked to leave on any CX flight for not wearing shoes (I believe they have the rule in place for takeoff and landings only, during flight you can be as barefoot as you want to be).
I think most of the world's airlines do carry their own rule, not FAA rule though..

They made a point in SQ's inflight safety video. But of course, wearing only socks is still allowed.. (especially in J and F)
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was on an international flight several years ago when the flight attendant nicely told the gentleman next to me in business class that he could not be in the plane "barefoot". When he pressed her she said as long as he was wearing socks that was OK but that he could not be barefoot.

Regardless, no matter what the issue is, they should not say that things are against "federal regulations" or "against the law" or "against FAA madates" if they are really just airline rules. They do that to try to cause pax to fear having to answer to a higher authority. That's inappropriate.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
on - off

Originally Posted by chrisb
Every evac instruction I've had tells ladies to REMOVE high heel shoes before using the slides to prevent damage.

It would have been amusing to ask the FA for the FAA regulation number. I assume they'd have it in their ops manuals onboard.
I love this point. Many woman FA's have very high heals (no idea why on long INT flights) and yes I am sure they would remove or kill the slide on exit!^^

I would also point out - OK, I have shoes, but on most INT flights you get socks to put in the first class kit for the long flight. I would have pointed that out and ask are they to go over your shoes then or do I only have to have them on for take-off and landing? Then you just have to have say some crocks with you and slide them on and off and be "you" the rest of the flight my bare footed friend!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Is there a FAR that mandates a fine for mis-quoting the FAR?

That's worth a t-shirt...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I already wear slippers at the TSA checkpoint...
Me too!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I have heard several DL FA's tell paxs to keep their shoes on lately. However, no threat of arrest.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I don't care if you wear shoes or not, if you don't put them on the wall or back of the seat, you are fine with me.

I don't want to wear shoes while at my seat for some long flights and I won't if I so choose. However, I will NOT go to the lavatory without shoes.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:51 am

I've noticed that part in the CofC about barefoot for a long time, but certainly wouldn't interpret it in the way it seems to have been. First of all, it says they have the right to remove you if you're "barefoot", not that you can't be barefoot (the difference is nontrivial). Second, I've interpreted that to mean coming onto a plane without shoes, not taking them off for some period of time.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:03 am

I'm pretty sure that FAA doesn't permit AA to remove a passenger from the plane after takeoff.

Up until that point, sure, they can refuse to take you on board, or remove you, for any reason whatsoever. If it's not one of a limited number of Really Good Reasons, they'll have to compensate you for it.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
not AAlright

I was in my fav seat (21f) on an AA MD80 out of DFW and two girls in their teens were my seatmates. They were wearing flip flops. After the FA got our verbal acknowledgement that we were knowingly in an exit row they removed the flip flops.
I hope no one ever has to depend on a couple of barefoot teenies to open the exit and lead them across the wing to safety. I always have my shoes on during take off and landing. I wear just socks on some long segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.