Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Special Forces
Originally Posted by merijn
I'm sorry but i hate it when people sitting next to me take of their shoes and don't have socks on.
I find it very unhygienic to be bare footed on a plane.

The feet are probably more hygienic than the soles of your feet.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I do sometimes wear sandals on a plane, no socks, and I haven't seen anybody in this form objecting to that.

Wearing your socks is a concession most of us make to comfort, and nobody
has objected to that either. Personally, I wouldn't wear socks into the bathroom but whether anybody else does is up to them.

Taking off socks, that is what bothers a lot of us. If my feet were so hot and sweaty that I needed to take off my socks, it would be pretty gross for my seatmate for me to air out my bare feet.
Well, actually one poster said he/she found bare feet 'unhygienic', not smelly.

So, sandals with no socks (but maybe bare feet that walked through the checkpoint) are ok, but all other bare feet are sweaty and being 'aired out', meaning they smell? Sorry, I have had the misfortune of being exposed to some really really rank Tevas - gruesome sitting outside on someone's porch all by themselves.

I guess I'd probably qualify a bit. I'm not offended by the mere sight of bare feet, in public or private, unless there are nasty toenails or smell or dirt exposed. I am offended by smelly feet even if they are in socks, and I am offended by smelly socks, on or off the feet.

Placement of the feet, bare, in socks, or in shoes is another matter entirely, but I consider myself somewhat on the fastidious side on this matter, because I never wear shoes in the house anyway.

I do find it personally disgusting that people walk through the checkpoint in bare or stocking feet and then put those feet back into their shoes. Who knows what has been tracked through that checkpoint on the bottom of TSO and vendor and flight crew shoes?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by 99POTUS
The feet are probably more hygienic than the soles of your feet.
Sorry. I fail to see how the feel can be more hygenic than a part of them. They are about as hygenic as their least hygenic part.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Taking off socks, that is what bothers a lot of us. If my feet were so hot and sweaty that I needed to take off my socks, it would be pretty gross for my seatmate for me to air out my bare feet.
For me, airing them out can keep them dry and sweet-smelling. Keeping them trapped is what makes them hot, sweaty, and stinky.

Originally Posted by chollie
I do find it personally disgusting that people walk through the checkpoint in bare or stocking feet and then put those feet back into their shoes. Who knows what has been tracked through that checkpoint on the bottom of pTSO and vendor and flight crew shoes?
I carry a supply of disposable paper booties, but that's me.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
For me, airing them out can keep them dry and sweet-smelling. Keeping them trapped is what makes them hot, sweaty, and stinky.

I carry a supply of disposable paper booties, but that's me.
LOL.

This thread has been so much fun. When you take off your socks to air out your feet, how about putting on the booties? Hey, maybe the airlines could sell Barefoot Booties when they sell drinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.