Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Its posted at the BOS terminal A checkpoint - passengers may bring 1 carry-on and 1 personal item as per FAA and TSA policies. IDK where its officially referenced.
I won't speak for the TSA, but here's what the FAA says about it (emphasis mine):
* Plan to check more of your baggage and carry on less.
* Check with your airline before packing to determine its carry-on guidelines regarding the number of items you may carry on and the maximum size of those items.
* In certain situations the airline may require most or even all of your bags to be checked, so be prepared to do so.
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/prepare_fly/baggage/ also see FAR 121-589.

So there is NO FAA regulation or rule. The TSA site says "You are allowed one carry-on in addition to one personal item such as a laptop computer, purse, small backpack, briefcase, or camera case."

Of course they do not give the legal basis for this assertion, and I see nothing in 49 CFR 1542 which is where any such provision should. Are we being lied to again ? Say it ain't so.

Last edited by Wally Bird; Dec 7, 2010 at 9:25 pm
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Unfortunately this seems to be the norm at the moment. FAs think they are TSA and can do anything they want. If you do not comply, they will remove you from the flight. An FA recently told me not to be a big baby after she had told the passenger next to me to put his oversized bag (would not fit in the overhead bins) lengthways under the seat in front of me. When I asked her for her name she refused to give it and made a big scene with the pilot who, luckily did nothing.

On a recent international trip the FA threatened to remove a passenger who was complaining his seat was broken. They only backed down when I pointed out the passenger was no threat whatsoever and merely did not want to spend 8 hours in a broken seat.

Complain – remove from flight! Simple.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by richard
I walk everywhere barefoot. If a store tells me to put shoes on, or in stores that require shoes, I comply. I have no problem going into an airport restroom barefoot. My immune system is fine and I am not troubled by it.
Yuck. Have you no dignity?!? Try that on just about any Aeroflot or Turkish Airlines flight to Central Asia in economy with about an inch of piss on the bathroom floor.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by reft
Perhaps the regulation is: you have to obey the instructions of the flight crew.
I would put my money on this statement pretty much being the end of the road as far as any types of formal complaints regarding this situation.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by sctn8gp
I would put my money on this statement pretty much being the end of the road as far as any types of formal complaints regarding this situation.
But there's got to be some qualifier on the statement, right? Such as, you are required to obey any LAWFUL, REASONABLE flight crew instructions?

Otherwise, what's to stop a FA from making the following requests and requiring compliance because "you are required to follow all flight crew instructions or you will be arrested":
*You're cute, give me your phone number.
*You're cute, let's go join the Mile High club in the bathroom, right now.
*Give me all the money in your wallet.
*Let me see your drivers license, I want to write down the info on it
etc, etc...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Thegweni
Unfortunately this seems to be the norm at the moment. FAs think they are TSA and can do anything they want. If you do not comply, they will remove you from the flight. An FA recently told me not to be a big baby after she had told the passenger next to me to put his oversized bag (would not fit in the overhead bins) lengthways under the seat in front of me. When I asked her for her name she refused to give it and made a big scene with the pilot who, luckily did nothing.

On a recent international trip the FA threatened to remove a passenger who was complaining his seat was broken. They only backed down when I pointed out the passenger was no threat whatsoever and merely did not want to spend 8 hours in a broken seat.

Complain – remove from flight! Simple.

I've had a FA tell me that the FAA required that nothing but reading material could be put in the seat pocket in front of me. Given her demeanor, which suggested she was 110% serious, I didn't want to hand her the airsickness bag and ask her to stow it somewhere else for my own safety.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by crhptic
I've had a FA tell me that the FAA required that nothing but reading material could be put in the seat pocket in front of me. Given her demeanor, which suggested she was 110% serious, I didn't want to hand her the airsickness bag and ask her to stow it somewhere else for my own safety.
That bag WAS reading material, it said Airsickness Bag on it and you read it!!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Barefoot passenger but FA?

I am quite sure that I have seen a barefooted FA (at least temporarily barefooted), once when she was seated during take off and other time during a long flight reading a magazine, on the floor, in the galley!
Question: Do FAs get kicked off the plane if the Captain disagrees with them? I have witnessed a serious fight between the cockpit crew and a FA when the FA mis-announced a departure time in a delayed flight and let the passengers disembark.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I won't speak for the TSA, but here's what the FAA says about it (emphasis mine):

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/prepare_fly/baggage/ also see FAR 121-589.

* Plan to check more of your baggage and carry on less.
* Check with your airline before packing to determine its carry-on guidelines regarding the number of items you may carry on and the maximum size of those items.
* In certain situations the airline may require most or even all of your bags to be checked, so be prepared to do so.

So there is NO FAA regulation or rule. The TSA site says "You are allowed one carry-on in addition to one personal item such as a laptop computer, purse, small backpack, briefcase, or camera case."

Of course they do not give the legal basis for this assertion, and I see nothing in 49 CFR 1542 which is where any such provision should. Are we being lied to again ? Say it ain't so.
The TSA could mandate that all airlines have 1 carryon and 1 personal item for the sake of conformity?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The TSA could mandate that all airlines have 1 carryon and 1 personal item for the sake of conformity?
One gallon-size baggie and one quart-size baggie per pax.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Perhaps the regulation is: you have to obey the instructions of the flight crew.
Perhaps that regulation has a number, CFR or FAR then ? Other than 121.580 - "No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part." - I don't know where else there is a legal requirement to obey cabin crew under all circumstances.

No doubt the airline would claim that failure to comply with any instruction, however ridiculous, constitutes interference and you would need some high-price lawyering and a liberal judge to prove otherwise.

I'm sure they have, but I'd be interested to know under what authority.
Oh silly me, this is the TSA.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:32 pm

Your solution? Find a better airline. Simple.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:08 am

So there is NO FAA regulation or rule.
Yes, there is, but it applies to the airline, not you. As was stated in other threads, the FAA requires an airline to have a baggage policy that meets certain requirements. So technically, you're following the airline rule, but they are required by the FAA to have that rule.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:12 am

Perhaps that regulation has a number, CFR or FAR then ? Other than 121.580 - "No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part." - I don't know where else there is a legal requirement to obey cabin crew under all circumstances.
There is not. There is a specific FAR (I'm too lazy to look up the number) that says you must obey crewmember instructions related to seats belts and smoking and the AA announcement says it correctly. But that's all.

I was once on a very lightly loaded RJ and got into a friendly discussion with the FA on this issue. She pulled out her book of FARs and ended up agreeing with me, though 121.580 can be used if it can be argued that not following a specific instruction interfered with their duties.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by crhptic
It was probably SkyWest. But they weren't even supposed to allow reading material in there. A friend of mine is an SkyWest FA and she said they were asking them to require that nothing be in the seat pocket other than what the airline put there. Her feeling was that it had to do with concerns about seat pockets breaking. She ignored their request and only said something if there was a safety issue (e.g., a laptop put there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.