Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Have you ever mentioned to someone that you pay $450 for an annual fee? If so, what was their response?
Originally Posted by moe8555
There is a lot of truth to this. I tried convincing a number of people who do not carry balances and spend a great deal on dining and travel to get this card. As soon as they heard about the $450 AF -- end of conversation...
Similar experience here. I had occasion to discuss this with a number of people at work (one of the big 3 US air carriers.) Despite the lopsided 1st year value proposition, I doubt half the people I talked to had interest once hearing it was a $450 AF. And this is a group that can fly for free, so they spend a whole lot more on hotels and other travel than the average bear.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
Even if your card is opened on Aug 31st, the next anniversary AF would be billed on Sept 1st.
Confirmed, at least for me.

Since than I always ooen a Chase card the first week of a month...
I actually had the AF billed on the 1st of the month - the very same date the card was approved, WITHOUT the card even show up online - it was until the card showed up online that I saw the AF was already billed. Of course I did not the card in hand until a week or more after that.
I will try to remember that, and only apply on the 2nd through maybe the 7th of the month.

I am really surprised to see one poster whose card was opened right after the offer went live, said his PDF statement showed 10/01/2017 being the next AF billed date while everyone else saw 09/01/2017.
You and me both. I wish I knew how to replicate the anomaly.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Seems like a pretty logical assumption. Have you ever mentioned to someone that you pay $450 for an annual fee? If so, what was their response?
I don't think it's logical. It stands to reason that savvy people like the readers of this board hang out with other savvy people. There are a lot of unsavvy people in America.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Interesting reading here:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...stics-1276.php

Card issuers divide the world into two groups: "transactors" who use their cards for purchases and pay off the balances each month; and "revolvers" who carry balances on their cards, paying interest charges month to month. To pure transactors, the balances on their cards aren't really debts at all, since any purchases will be paid off before interest charges are applied.
At the end of 2015, proportion of accounts by usage pattern:
  • 42% Revolvers
  • 30% Transactors
  • 28% Dormant

I think it's unrealistic to assume that only Transactors apply for rewards cards, even expensive rewards cards.
jashsu likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Interesting reading here:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...stics-1276.php

At the end of 2015, proportion of accounts by usage pattern:
  • 42% Revolvers
  • 30% Transactors
  • 28% Dormant

I think it's unrealistic to assume that only Transactors apply for rewards cards, even expensive rewards cards.
We ACTUALLY NEED those revolvers else who pay for the lucrative rewards if banks dont make out like a bandits on the Revolvers?!

Here is another generic TV reporting for you

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...-long-49114797

Here is an older article on creditcards.com

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...cards-1277.php

And this jumps out in the article

Does it make sense to pay more?

To be sure, most people don’t need a high-dollar card. There are plenty of tiers of cards:

No-fee plain-vanilla without rewards.
Cards that offer simple, straightforward rewards and no fee.
Cards with annual fees in the $50 to $100 range.
Troopers and jashsu like this.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 10, 2017 at 2:48 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Confirmed, at least for me.

I will try to remember that, and only apply on the 2nd through maybe the 7th of the month.

You and me both. I wish I knew how to replicate the anomaly.
Not sure why my fee date is October 1, even though I received the card around August 25-26, 2016. I checked my 2016 statements and saw this:

10/01 ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE 450.00

The only possible reason I can think of is that my statement closes on the 1st/2nd of each month, so maybe for some reason my first statement, which closed on 9/1/16, was too early for the fee to be triggered? Then after that it's just exactly 1 year from when the previous year's fee was charged?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
The CapitalOne QuickSilver and the newly introduced Premium Reward card are TRUE 0% forex fee because CapitalOne does not pass along the Visa 1% network fee while Chase does.
Chase might use unfavorable (for the cardholder) exchange rates but I don't think they're actually charging a FTF, especially for a card that they advertise as not having one. I could be missing something, however.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Chase might use unfavorable (for the cardholder) exchange rates but I don't think they're actually charging a FTF, especially for a card that they advertise as not having one. I could be missing something, however.
Chase ain't charging an FTF, but Visa does. CapOne eats the 1% Visa FTF fee, Chase does not.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bigbuy
Chase ain't charging an FTF, but Visa does. CapOne eats the 1% Visa FTF fee, Chase does not.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I was under the impression that Chase supposedly passes it on via a less favorable exchange rate (vs. having a separate line item on statements), but I could very well be wrong on that. I'll have to search around a bit and read other posts about it.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:10 pm

I just PCd change my CSR to chase freedom. When I put in a request for PC, they gave me an option to switch to CSU or CF. I chose CF cause I already have CSU and ink plus. I transferred 18k from CSR to ink plus before the product change.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:50 pm

Sapphire Reserve Year in Review. Received post card with summary of what I've earned and saved this past year. Nice big numbers but unfortunately, those numbers will drop significantly next year (still tbd if I retain card).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Troopers
Sapphire Reserve Year in Review. Received post card with summary of what I've earned and saved this past year. Nice big numbers but unfortunately, those numbers will drop significantly next year (still tbd if I retain card).
Can you download this report online or did they hard copy mail it?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Can you download this report online or did they hard copy mail it?
I got a hard copy mailed to me.

It will be interesting to see how many people will keep the card. I'm not a churner and view this card as a 150 AF points earning card.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by JHake10
I got a hard copy mailed to me.

It will be interesting to see how many people will keep the card. I'm not a churner and view this card as a 150 AF points earning card.
Same here, I got a hard copy this week.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Same here, I got a hard copy this week.
Same here. Hard copy in the mail.

Clearly, a "please renew for another year" plea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.