Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mia
Why would you make that assumption? If you have Sapphire Preferred points are worth $0.0125 minimum. If you have Sapphire Reserve points are worth $0.015 minimum. If you transfer points you need to realize more than those minimums.
Just because the UR points can be used for 1.5c via their travel concierge doesn't mean UR are worth 1.5c or more, at least to me. The vast majority of my travel is award travel, and UR points aren't always easily redeemed for 1.5c value (ie, that $5K business class flight isn't really worth $5K to me)
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:34 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Visa Infinite probably has higher interchange fees.
True, from a quick search, they are either the same or ~20 bps higher. Depends on if it's a "spend not qualified account".
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
What is the source of this detail?
It was mentioned somewhere in the CSR megathread on Reddit. I will see if I can find it.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:42 am

Ill probably get this card just for the bonus and downgrade a year later to CSP. I currently use BofA travel card and I'm earning 2.625 on all charges. I can use these points towards travel expenses. Only benefits I can get from CSR is the ability to transfer to airlines and hotels and for primary rental insurance which I hardly rent. I just wish the CSR earns 1.5 on everything else instead of just 1x. Then I might consider it primary card to use. I think it's a great card for people who travel a lot.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
Ill probably get this card just for the bonus and downgrade a year later to CSP. I currently use BofA travel card and I'm earning 2.625 on all charges. I can use these points towards travel expenses. Only benefits I can get from CSR is the ability to transfer to airlines and hotels and for primary rental insurance which I hardly rent. I just wish the CSR earns 1.5 on everything else instead of just 1x. Then I might consider it primary card to use. I think it's a great card for people who travel a lot.
You can pair it with a Freedom Unlimited for that, which has no annual fee.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
... majority of my travel is award travel, and UR points aren't always easily redeemed for 1.5c value ...
I agree that restricted cash (which can only be used for travel) could be assigned a lower value than real cash, but not 1/3rd less. If you are transferring points to miles and not realizing comfortably more than the issuer's "cash" redemption value, why transfer?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Uhm... The Palladium card is exactly this?

Not going to happen again.

This card isn't that great and has a lot of shortfalls. In addition, I do not want to have my net worth tied up in Chase to be able to get it as a Private Client.

Is the Palladium card on the right track? Yes, but it's not nearly there in its current form.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by cslovacek
This card isn't that great and has a lot of shortfalls. In addition, I do not want to have my net worth tied up in Chase to be able to get it as a Private Client.

Is the Palladium card on the right track? Yes, but it's not nearly there in its current form.
Yeah but we've seen zero positive change to the Pallidium in how many years?

Expecting them to deliver the dream card is something everyone in the Pallidium thread has been waiting for. Instead they've created the CSR which is better than the Pallidium in pretty much all ways.

I don't see the $1k/year AF Chase card happening.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by United747
True, from a quick search, they are either the same or ~20 bps higher. Depends on if it's a "spend not qualified account".
Spend qualification seems to depend on how much cardholders charge to the card (yearly?). I'm not sure what level that is though or if it depends on the specific issuer/product. Or if it ultimately matters for cardholders at all (unless merchants start trying to discourage use of Visa Infinite in favor of lower tiers or even debit).
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
If you put $5500/year on travel/dining expenses on the card (that you would otherwise put on CSP) you will break even on the fee differential vs CSP, assuming a value of 1cpp. Anything more than that (or less depending on your valuation of UR) and CSR is better. I put a lot more than that on my CSP right now so it's a no-brainer for me to keep CSR long term.
Make that $5,800 per year due to the $300 credit, but same difference. For me, I already exceed that in spending on Travel/Dining.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
If you put $5500/year on travel/dining expenses on the card (that you would otherwise put on CSP) you will break even on the fee differential vs CSP, assuming a value of 1cpp. Anything more than that (or less depending on your valuation of UR) and CSR is better. I put a lot more than that on my CSP right now so it's a no-brainer for me to keep CSR long term.
150/(0.01x3)=$5000

Originally Posted by mia
Why would you make that assumption? If you have Sapphire Preferred points are worth $0.0125 minimum. If you have Sapphire Reserve points are worth $0.015 minimum. If you transfer points you need to realize more than those minimums.
Originally Posted by gatzdon
Make that $5,800 per year due to the $300 credit, but same difference. For me, I already exceed that in spending on Travel/Dining.

Correct me if I was wrong, I can't figure out how you guys get the results. Here is what I did for the break-even math calculations

CSR, $450 AF, plus $300 credit (assume this is easy to spend each year), make it net $150
In order to break even the AF, spending on travel&dining should be 150/(0.015x3)=$3333.3
Means, if you spend more than $3333, you are not losing money on AF. Take the $300 credit into consideration, sum them up to $3633 for a break-even
CSP, $95 AF
In order to break even the AF, spending on travel&dining should be 95/(0.0125x2)=$3800
Means, if you spend more than $3800, you are not losing money on AF
3633 v.s. 3800, not too much difference

Originally Posted by penner42
I did the same sort of math to figure out if I should add my wife as an AU. At minimum 1.5c per point, figured she needed to spend $3333.33 in a year on dining/travel (without me there to use my CSR) to break even on the $75 vs. the Freedom Unlimited 1.5x. We no longer have a CSP, right now. That spend, earning 3x instead of 1.5x, is 5000 extra points, and at 1.5cpp that's $75.

I think she'll easily make that spend without me, given a whole year. Plus, I value the points a little more than the 1.5c, too. So seems like the right move.
For the $75 AU math, 75/(3x0.015)=$1666.6. To me, if the AU doesn't come with other benefits, like priority pass, I didn't see any benefit from it. Maybe primary rental?

Anyhow, I can't figure out how you guys get the $5500, please correct me.

Last edited by vennichael; Aug 17, 2016 at 12:53 pm
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
I was able to find confirmation. I new I had read it but I didn't want to put it out there with out confirmation.

Chase Sapphire Reserve Global Entry or TSA Pre Reimbursement

Once every 4 years, you will be able to be reimbursed for your payment for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre ($85). The terms say that you get one credit per account which I believe excludes getting the same for your authorized users.
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
That's better than the competition: Amex is every five IIRC. I'm not sure about citi.
M

Valuable since you can apply for GE renewal before expiration
But most years there's no need to apply every 4 years. Yes, if your current GE expires early enough in the next calendar year, you could apply for it 4 years after you first got it, but after that they would be spaced 5 years apart. I don't think you could consistently apply for it every 4 years (and what would be the point)? I think the years "4 years" wording is just to allow the cross between early in one calendar year to late in the previous calendar year.

And, btw, as with all these kinds of cards, absolutely useless if what you have is NEXUS. I've not seen any card that reimburses the $50 of NEXUS. (And, btw, for that $50 NEXUS includes both GE and PreCheck, while neither of those include NEXUS. Though NEXUS-specific benefits only apply on air and ground travel to/from Canada, nowhere else.)
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by vennichael
For the $75 AU math, 75/(3x0.015)=$1666.6. To me, if the AU doesn't come with other benefits, like priority pass, I didn't see any benefit from it. Maybe primary rental?
Yes, you only need to spend $1666.66 to earn $75 worth of points. But if I don't add the AU, my wife will still earn 1.5x instead of 3x by using the Freedom Unlimited instead. So I need her to earn an ADDITIONAL $75 worth of points for it to be worth it. If she spends $1666.66 she'd earn $37.50 on the FU or $75 on the CSR, a difference of only $37.50. At $3333.33, she earns $75 on the FU or $150 on the CSR, so it's at that point where the $75 is break even.

This all assumes a 1.5cpp value on the UR points. I usually get a little more value out of them, but that's the floor.

Originally Posted by vennichael
Anyhow, I can't figure out how you guys get the $5500, please correct me.
All of these calculations are comparing it to earnings of a different cheaper or free card. You need to spend less, with no other considerations, to break even. But there are other considerations, because there are free cards that earn points or cash. So it is only the *difference* between those earnings that matters for breaking even, not the raw numbers of the expensive card.

Last edited by penner42; Aug 17, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:59 pm

Yes, you only need to spend $1666.66 to earn $75 worth of points. But if I don't add the AU, my wife will still earn 1.5x instead of 3x by using the Freedom Unlimited instead. So I need her to earn an ADDITIONAL $75 worth of points for it to be worth it. If she spends $1666.66 she'd earn $37.50 on the FU or $75 on the CSR, a difference of only $37.50. At $3333.33, she earns $75 on the FU or $150 on the CSR, so it's at that point where the $75 is break even.

This all assumes a 1.5cpp value on the UR points. I usually get a little more value out of them, but that's the floor.

All of these calculations are comparing it to earnings of a different cheaper or free card. You need to spend less, with no other considerations, to break even. But there are other considerations, because there are free cards that earn points or cash. So it is only the *difference* between those earnings that matters for breaking even, not the raw numbers of the expensive card.
I see, now I got it. Thanks!

But just in terms of comparing CSP v.s. CSR, based on my calculation w/o those no-AF cards (because when I travel now, I just use my CSP), CSR is a slightly winner.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus

This is my challenge. As we know everyone should carry an Ink, a Freedom, a Freedom Unlimited and a CSP, or CSR and use the highest bonus card on each purchase (unless wanting to avoid a foreign transaction fee, or have some of the better insurance benefits kick in.)

Mrs. HighOPS will carry any one card I prefer, but not multiple cards. So, the Freedom Unlimited would probably earn the most points over a year. But, it doesn't have the insurance benefits on travel and high priced items.

The $75 is probably enough to have me not get the AU card given all the constraints- especially since Mrs. HighOPS is a good sport, knows I like to maximize URP, and so lets me pay when we are together.

[Shrug]. While I am not optimistic, maybe there will be an AU bonus that will make it an easy decision year 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.