Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:04 pm

I wonder if the Ritz trick of CL reallocation will work on this to offset the annual fee.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:04 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by taliesin
I see people using them all the time. And I am acquainted with a very wealthy family that puts virtually all their spend on their Platinum, at least $1M per year. For that matter I don't even know what they do with their MR points. To my knowledge they've never booked a reward flight.
People like this are probably AMEX's best consumer card customers... high spend and they probably redeem their MRs for things with a redemption value of less than 1 cent per MR point, like items out of the catalog or for amazon pay with points.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by eknock007
I am only hoping that Chase has some backup servers ready to to online on Sunday in case the server crashes because of the mad rush to apply as soon as link goes live. We will be on that application link faster than Tony Montana on pile of cocaine.
This board is not representative of the real world, and the number of people willing to consider an $450 AF card is relatively small. So Chase servers should be OK.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Madone59
I asked Citi about fee reduction and was told "No." Does the trick of lowing CL to $1,500 or so to avoid AF work with Citi?
Even if it did, that only applies for the first year. The CARD Act prevents the issuer from charging more than 25% of the credit limit in non-penalty fees within the first year of opening.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
I asked Citi about fee reduction and was told "No." Does the trick of lowing CL to $1,500 or so to avoid AF work with Citi?
Be the data point you want to see.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:21 pm

When I applied for the CSP a month ago, the public signup bonus was 50k points. But because I was a Chase Private Client (CPC), they gave me an extra 10k, i.e. 60k points.

Do you think we'll see a similar CPC benefit for the Reserve? Maybe 120k points for CPCs?

When Chase previously offered 100k bonuses, did they ever give an extra benefit for CPCs?

I guess I'll find out soon, but just curious...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tev9999
I doubt that I will be able to resist applying if 5/24 is waived next week, but I'm thinking waiting might be my best bet.
Is this pure speculation that the rule may be waived next week, or does someone have evidence to back up the claim that this may be the case?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by UpAt40k
Is this pure speculation that the rule may be waived next week, or does someone have evidence to back up the claim that this may be the case?
Just speculation
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by zs58
I've booked dozens of flights through the UR portal and they've always accrued elite qualifying miles, on AS and UA.

As far as the value per mile, this can be endlessly debated but my point of view is that you only derive value when you use miles instead of cash that you would have paid otherwise. Said another way, I would never buy a $7,000 international business fare with cash, so even if I use miles for that, it is disingenuous for me to calculate the value of those miles using $7000 as the numerator.
I totally agree with this assessment of point value and I do use my chase reward points to book flights and so the 1.5 redemption value is huge for me in wanting the Reserve card. I don't really fly internationally very often but I want to be able to move around the US frequently and mostly in first class. I do that by maintaining my elite status with Alaska and booking many of my flights directly with points.

For the occasionally international trip I earn lots of Alaska miles by flying. My experience has been that the flight cost on the UR portal is the same for Alaska flights and that I have no trouble having them be treated as paid flights for earning and upgrades. I currently use my Prestige card for dining because of the double points and 1.33 redemption value but if I can get the Reserve, I will switch to using that for dining and probably a lot of other spend to.

I may or may not keep the Prestige after the devaluation goes into effect. I do use the fourth night free sometimes so it would be only if I would use it for that.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bretyost
Just speculation
In my head I'm trying to justify both sides of this equation.

On one side, perhaps the'd like to waive 5/24 for the first week to lure additional cardholders who're willing to pay the annual fee and to get their application numbers up. But on the other hand, many of these people are churning flyertalk members who would get the card for the points, make good use of the $300 fee credit and then cancel before year 2.

I can see a reasonably solid case for both sides, but a firmer case for them keeping the 5/24 in place as they just finished rolling it out, it seems silly of them not to use it.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UpAt40k
In my head I'm trying to justify both sides of this equation.

On one side, perhaps the'd like to waive 5/24 for the first week to lure additional cardholders who're willing to pay the annual fee and to get their application numbers up. But on the other hand, many of these people are churning flyertalk members who would get the card for the points, make good use of the $300 fee credit and then cancel before year 2.

I can see a reasonably solid case for both sides, but a firmer case for them keeping the 5/24 in place as they just finished rolling it out, it seems silly of them not to use it.

Thoughts?
Even if it was the developer site, I think it bodes well that people way over 5/24 were approved earlier this week.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Even if it was the developer site, I think it bodes well that people way over 5/24 were approved earlier this week.
Yeah. The landing page was the developer site, but the application itself was Chase. I wonder how they decide which cards are 5/24 and which are not, and if it's the default when they add a new card, or if it has to be turned off.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by penner42
Yeah. The landing page was the developer site, but the application itself was Chase. I wonder how they decide which cards are 5/24 and which are not, and if it's the default when they add a new card, or if it has to be turned off.
I think it's more that it has to be turned on. See the first few days of Freedom Unlimited when people were bypassing, and the CSR leak.

United was flipped on shortly before they came out with the 70K+ bonuses earlier this year. And a few holdout cobrand cards still don't follow 5/24.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:09 pm

I wonder when Chase "flips the switch" of 5/24 for new products. I'm planning to apply after waiting for a few data points this Sunday morning.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:10 pm

What if they switch it off, then on, then off, then on again, just to mess with us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.