Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
posts moved

Mod hat on-

I just moved a few posts asking about the SWA Companion Pass over to our SWA Forum. Let's stay on topic please.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...d-rewards-501/

Mod hat off-
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke787
I would agree with this. The CSR to me is a Citi Prestige competitor - AMEX Plat doesn't really compete in this league any more (in fairness I'm probably one of the few FTers who has never had an AMEX Plat - I see no need for one unless I get a 100k targeted offer and I don't live in a city with a Centurion lounge so there is no benefit there for me).

Citi Prestige (with Citi Premier thrown in for 3x gas and any travel that needs to be booked through OTAs) + CSP (replaced by CSR) + AMEX PRG is the winning combo for my spending habits.

I have tried over and over to justify the Amex Platinum, but I can't... And I even live in a city with a Centurion Lounge. I've never had one and at this point, do not anticipate ever getting one unless their benefits improve somewhat.

My friend swears by the Amex Platinum, but I can tell you that from a rewards and customer service perspective, my United MileagePlus Club Business Card (with no fee per additional cardmember) matches or exceeds the Amex Platinum.

Last edited by FriscoHeavy; Aug 18, 2016 at 10:00 am Reason: N/A
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Double Cash is 2% cash. FU would be 2.25% minimum if you have CSR and can redeem for travel at 1.5 cents/point.
Hmm, you're talking about UR points to book travel as opposed to transferring points to FF programs?

That's how you get 2.25% value?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bradpetrik

That's how you get 2.25% value?
1.5 x .015 = 0.0225

If you transfer to a partner you should be achieving more than $0.015, otherwise why transfer? (I can think of some outlying scenarios, but in the preponderant majority of cases transferring should yield more than pay-with-points.)
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
1.5 x .015 = 0.0225

If you transfer to a partner you should be achieving more than $0.015, otherwise why transfer? (I can think of some outlying scenarios, but in the preponderant majority of cases transferring should yield more than pay-with-points.)
One reason I can think of is that tickets booked through the UR portal might be bulk rate tickets. If you are chasing status on UA, you don't want to buy bulk rate tickets because those don't earn PQD...but in every scenario I can think of redeeming miles for upgrades, you get far more than $0.015 per point/mile. I often redeem for 5 cents/mile on international upgrades even after the copay is taken into account, and on one UA trip this year, I upgraded from J to F at a value of 28 cents/mile. You can also book award tickets directly with miles and get a fairly high value for your points, particularly in premium cabins, but that's really not applicable to my scenario; if you are after status, you don't want to fly on award tickets anyway. But if faced with a decision to redeem at $0.015/point through the UR portal, or transfer to UA and upgrade a flight at, say, $0.0125/point, I would do the latter.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:33 am

When just looking at the offerings on paper, sure. But when you take into consideration that UR is a better program with better options and you have a higher earn rate on some transactions than the Plat on all transactions it's not even close.
Originally Posted by Duke787
I would agree with this. The CSR to me is a Citi Prestige competitor - AMEX Plat doesn't really compete in this league any more...
I got excited about the 175K MR signup bonus for the Plat/PRG combo last year only to be bitterly disappointed in the value received at hotels. Since I work for an airline, I don't have a much use for FF miles. Between Marriott/Hyatt/IHG/Ink/Freedom/CSP and the new CSR, Chase is definitely going to get the vast majority of my CC spend for the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by mikex163
It also has travel redemptions on the UR portal at 1.5 cents per UR point, vs. 1.2 (or 1.25, whatever it is) on the CSP.
For example, this negates the need to transfer points to WN, as you get a better deal on the UR portal with the CSR - WN points can be redeemed at 1.43 or something like that with WN itself, with the CSR you get 1.5 and also get points from flying.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Southwest flights are not available on the UR portal. So this would not work and to book Southwest flights, you would still have to transfer the points and get 1.43.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:44 am

They are not available on the portal, but I was under the impression you can call and book them using UR points.
(I might be wrong though, never tried to do this)

It's probably because WN computer system cannot integrate with the system UR uses (or any other travel agency). Maybe next year with WN's new computer system they will be able to do so online.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How many people are using UR points to buy flights and hotels in the UR portal?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
One reason I can think of is that tickets booked through the UR portal might be bulk rate tickets. If you are chasing status on UA, you don't want to buy bulk rate tickets because those don't earn PQD...but in every scenario I can think of redeeming miles for upgrades, you get far more than $0.015 per point/mile. I often redeem for 5 cents/mile on international upgrades even after the copay is taken into account, and on one UA trip this year, I upgraded from J to F at a value of 28 cents/mile. You can also book award tickets directly with miles and get a fairly high value for your points, particularly in premium cabins, but that's really not applicable to my scenario; if you are after status, you don't want to fly on award tickets anyway. But if faced with a decision to redeem at $0.015/point through the UR portal, or transfer to UA and upgrade a flight at, say, $0.0125/point, I would do the latter.
I've booked dozens of flights through the UR portal and they've always accrued elite qualifying miles, on AS and UA.

As far as the value per mile, this can be endlessly debated but my point of view is that you only derive value when you use miles instead of cash that you would have paid otherwise. Said another way, I would never buy a $7,000 international business fare with cash, so even if I use miles for that, it is disingenuous for me to calculate the value of those miles using $7000 as the numerator.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:55 am

When just looking at the offerings on paper, sure. But when you take into consideration that UR is a better program with better options and you have a higher earn rate on some transactions than the Plat on all transactions it's not even close.
You can't compare the Amex Plat vs. the CSP/CSP based solely on earn rate.

Amex Plat has a ton of other benefits that makes it worth making charges on such as the free nights on the FHR program. The hundreds of dollars that I save when I get a free night from the FHR program more than makes up for the fact that I only get 1x point for the hotel stay.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wco81
How many people are using UR points to buy flights and hotels in the UR portal?
I do it every once in a while.

Regarding the card itself, I probably will apply, I think I'm under 5/24 and I can switch credit around if needed. I don't think I can pass up 100k points. Whether or not I keep it in year 2, I don't know.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:23 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by zs58
I've booked dozens of flights through the UR portal and they've always accrued elite qualifying miles, on AS and UA.
The issue the OP brought up isn't that the bulk tickets won't earn elite qualifying miles... it's whether or not fare data will transmit to UA to allow elite qualifying dollar accrual.

Can you report on your experience on EQDs on UA tickets booked through the UR portal?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by mia
1.5 x .015 = 0.0225

The computation assumes that Chase travel site gives you best available rates/fares. In my experience this is not always the case. Of course, one can shop around and only redeem through Chase if the rate is good, but this is a hassle, and reduces the number of occasions on which one redeems.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:59 am
Suspended

For how long will the bonus of 100,000 UR be around?

Last edited by Dieuwer; Aug 18, 2016 at 12:08 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.