Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:15 am

5/24 or not, I'm going to apply on 8/21. Best case scenario: I get the card with the 100K offer. Worst case scenario: I waste a hard inquiry and end up upgrading CSP to CSR. Either way, I think it's worth pursuing.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by dordal
So is everybody just signing up for the bonus, or is anybody planning to keep this?
It's a great value proposition regardless of the signup bonus or travel credit twice in the first year.

• The strength of the UR program means that I will always hold at least one of the CSP, Ink Plus, or CSR.
  • The annual fee for the CSP or Ink Plus is $95
  • The annual fee of the CSR is $150 net of the travel credit.
  • Use the $100 visa infinite airfare credit just once per year and the annual fee is down to $50.
  • 'Nuff said.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I might be a bit slow at times and I am also not impacted by the 5/24 rule BUT why do people seem to think that if this is indeed a Chase policy that they are going to not apply it to this card? (I would think it would be enforced even more strongly due to the 100k UR points sign-up bonus.)

IMHO there will probably be some that can slide in under the rule but the policy is in place for a reason...to put an end to applications for just the sign-up bonus. I can already see all the complaining and moaning that is going to happen in the next week due to applications submitted before the actual feed went live being denied or closed and then the complaining will continue IF they apply the 5/24 rule.

I'm not a chrunner and I currently have 4 Chase cards (CSP, Hyatt, IC and UA...used to have BA but I closed it bc I saw no benefit to it after using the companion deal a couple of years in a row) I was thinking about applying for the Ritz or Freedom Unlimited card a while ago but decided against it. Will definitely apply for this card once it is officially available!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:17 am

so I just called to get my tracking number

and was told that the card cannot be over nighted because the launch date is on the 21st.

they will overnight it on the launch date
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by christianj
why do people seem to think that if this is indeed a Chase policy that they are going to not apply it to this card?
The Freedom Unlimited had a few data points early on that suggested the 5/24, which has applied to chase-brand cards for a while now, was bypassed. This could be done as a way to encourage anyone to apply, or could be a hole in the code that needs to be (or has been -_-) fixed. If you're already over 5/24, hoping the card initially won't have the rule applied is the only hope to get the sign-up, but for some it'll be the only option to get the card (especially if they don't have anything to PC from.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I might be a bit slow at times and I am also not impacted by the 5/24 rule BUT why do people seem to think that if this is indeed a Chase policy that they are going to not apply it to this card? (I would think it would be enforced even more strongly due to the 100k UR points sign-up bonus.)

IMHO there will probably be some that can slide in under the rule but the policy is in place for a reason...to put an end to applications for just the sign-up bonus. I can already see all the complaining and moaning that is going to happen in the next week due to applications submitted before the actual feed went live being denied or closed and then the complaining will continue IF they apply the 5/24 rule.

I'm not a chrunner and I currently have 4 Chase cards (CSP, Hyatt, IC and UA...used to have BA but I closed it bc I saw no benefit to it after using the companion deal a couple of years in a row) I was thinking about applying for the Ritz or Freedom Unlimited card a while ago but decided against it. Will definitely apply for this card once it is officially available!

Chase is a publicly traded company that exists to make profit (or pretend that they're making profit to impress shareholders). This is a niche card at best, from the start, and launching a new product to totally ho-hum numbers might worry some stockholders. I can see there being a grace period at the start, so that those in the know can get the card and boost those preliminary numbers. Realistically, how many people that are willing to pay $450 for a credit card don't already have a Plat, Prestige, etc? Maybe I'm rationalizing to make myself feel better about my chances.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:13 am
Suspended

I think the new CSR might cannibalize the CSP.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bretyost
... launching a new product to totally ho-hum numbers might worry some stockholders. ...
Does Chase break out numbers for individual card products?

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I assume it would, and that Chase will be happy to convert $95 to $450 customers, or even $150 customers if they did their books that way (which they will not).
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:39 am

I dunno...I'm always telling my friends about these cards. Not a single one has ever taken me up on my offer to walk them through the process of getting a $450 AF card (I'll even show them how to MS the minimum spend, and go with them a few times so they don't make a mistake).

The response is the same every time: "Oh...$450. That's a lot."

Followed by me: "But it's not really $450. With the air credit it's $150, and the other benefits are worth $150 at least."

And the response: "But...$450. That's a lot."
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: many
I say nay. In the larger public, there are far more many who wont be able to look past the higher AF of the CSR, ending any further look into the other benefits. The vast majority travel far too infrequently to value what this community values and puts forth effort on acquiring. Just as its far too much effort involved for the majority to fly at a reduced cost with mileage awards and points. We've all had these conversations with friends, family, coworkers, the glazed look in the eye quickly appears as the picture we try to paint is too cloudy and frankly requires more effort than they feel its worth. The majority prefer things to be as effortless as possible and most IMO desire the legacy hotel/airline cards that drop points directly into their accounts after purchase and payment. Getting them to work through the nuances of transfers to programs, statement credits, and redemption for cashback is quite a step. Chase will keep the CSP intact and the CSR will remain niche except for our small little community of opportunists and Chase private wealth clients.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
If you think that many people would pay $450 for a card, think again. Only very few wealthy people like us can afford it...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by saliym1988
so I just called to get my tracking number

and was told that the card cannot be over nighted because the launch date is on the 21st.

they will overnight it on the launch date
Did you request expedited yesterday?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lobo411
I dunno...I'm always telling my friends about these cards. Not a single one has ever taken me up on my offer to walk them through the process of getting a $450 AF card (I'll even show them how to MS the minimum spend, and go with them a few times so they don't make a mistake).

Followed by me: "But it's not really $450. With the air credit it's $150, and the other benefits are worth $150 at least."

Conversation with my brother went something like this:

"What's the annual fee?"

"$450"

"Oh, never mind."

"But there's a $300 travel credit you can use on airfare, hotels, etc, so the AF is really $150."

"Wait...any plane tickets?"

"Yep"

"Oh...I'll look into it."
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: many

exactly. ^
Even a $95 card is a stretch.
and churning, zero chance.

Want to see a deer in the headlights and looks of suspicion of a somehow scam? Talk to them about the 5/24 rule, churning, cents per mile valuations. Or simply get them out of their comfort zone, just bring up the conversation of partner airlines.....

I no longer ever bring up the subjects, its simply too "other worldly" to them. Anyway, the back of the plane needs to be filled somehow.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:57 am

It's funny, I've had very similar experiences myself. People really have a hard time getting past the $450. I think that the average person doesn't really want to take the time and learn about how to do the basics, which would more than pay for the annual fee - they just see step 1, which is to pay the $450. Even when my friends see the kinds of trips we take for "free", they don't want to make the small investment of time...

While there is obviously MS and other tricks you can do, even just placing your daily expenses, travel (especially if you travel for business), and dining on a card like the CSR will earn you a good deal of points per year - to be used for free trips. Most people don't really get that though when a high annual fee comes into play.

But on the flip-side, I'm ok with less people having and taking advantage of cards like the CSR, Prestige, etc...hopefully that keeps the benefits around longer for us who do have them, as the cards are for the most part not sustainable long-term for the banks - at least not without reducing/cutting benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.