Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ChasingChase
What does everyone think about this situation?

My wife and I share a CSP account currently, approximately $55k annual spend. It is my account. I had been planning to have her get her own CSP to bank the 65k bonus points (50k after spend + 5k AU + 10k referral). Now I'm wondering if we should just both get the CSR when it's officially launched. The $900 up front is a solid chunk, but it looks like we'll get $1200 in travel reimbursement before renewal, coming out ahead +300. Then we'd likely cancel/downgrade one of the CSRs before renewal and keep the other to use as we do our CSP currently.

So, get both now if we can swing the upfront costs? Have her get a CSP first, and then the CSR later this year (with hopefully the same or similar bonus)?
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Assuming she is at 3/24 or 4/24 or less, I would have her get the CSP, wait 31 days (and maybe see if you can get a referral link for the CSR in the meantime) then get the CSR. After a year she can downgrade the CSP to a Freedom/FU and pay no fee on it.
This seems like the right plan. Also, how long have you had your CSP? Right after you get your CSR, I would downgrade your own CSP. If you've had it for several years, that opens up the possibility of you getting another CSP bonus in the not too distant future, which she can then refer you for, so even more points.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:56 pm

No $100 Visa Infinite discount for this card. Source: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chas...-reserve-card/
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by robertw477
One thing for sure. Citi Prestige holders will dump that one for this as Citi reduced the perks significantly on that card. I have to wonder about the decision makers on these projects and promos. I fully understand why Chase has the 5/24. Chase feels (through data for sure) that if you get 5/24 that means you are seeking the promotions and therefore have minimal value to them. They figure you will move out to the next promotion offered. THe customer base on $450 cards has to be limited with several cards in that space already. If I can get his I will. However per 5/24 I have more than 5 new cards in the last 24 months. The affiliate omissions must have dried up for Chase like crazy due to these policies
Whether CSR is better than Prestige or not depends on an individual. Some people get a lot of value from the latter card's 4-th night free benefit, and may want to keep Prestige for this reason. Also, some Prestige AF is $350 for some, which may make a difference.

But if Citi looses a lot of the higher-end customers to Chase, perhaps they will reverse some of their recent changes to make their product more attractive. In any case, it is nice to see competition for high-end card customers.

To me, convenience is also important. An annoying thing about Amex Plat was that I had to worry about getting my benefits myself, e.g., reviewing the Priority Pass membership every year. To me, premium card service should include taking care of such things automatically. For Prestige, this is the case, as well as the airline fee redemption. But getting 4-th night free is a pain. I am curious to see how easy it would be to take advantage of the CSR benefits.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by missing_link
How so? Based on the terms below:
I hope the link you pasted is correct and holds true but reality is that the T&C can still be altered by the time the official T&C are released by Chase. We have seen far too often that even officially published T&C are changed without much notice.

Again...I hope you are right but I'm not holding my breath on anything until the official app goes live and the T&C are published.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by penner42
This seems like the right plan. Also, how long have you had your CSP? Right after you get your CSR, I would downgrade your own CSP. If you've had it for several years, that opens up the possibility of you getting another CSP bonus in the not too distant future, which she can then refer you for, so even more points.
Just over two years for the CSP. That extra bonus is a great point and something I hadn't considered.

So consensus seems to be:

NOW
- I get CSR, downgrade CSP
- She gets CSP

LATER
- She gets CSR, downgrades CSP
- I hopefully am able to get another CSP bonus
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FreFly
...if Citi loses a lot of the higher-end customers to Chase, perhaps they will reverse some of their recent changes to make their product more attractive....
Improbable. This is Citi's third attempt to compete with American Express Platinum. Same as before they have pared back to make the card profitable. I don't see that anything Chase does would impact their thinking in the next 18 months. (It also sounds as if the AA-specific benefits were take away as part of Citi's bid to retain AA's co-brand business. If that's true there isn't much the Prestige product manager could restore now, except the $0.0133/point airfare redemption value.)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by ChasingChase
Just over two years for the CSP. That extra bonus is a great point and something I hadn't considered.

So consensus seems to be:

NOW
- I get CSR, downgrade CSP
- She gets CSP

LATER
- She gets CSR, downgrades CSP
- I hopefully am able to get another CSP bonus
And just for one more question you might have: I had referred someone to the CSP when I had it, downgraded to a Freedom Unlimited, and had the referral bonus post after that. So as long as she signs up with your CSP referral link, you shouldn't have to wait for the bonus to post before downgrading. If the annual fee isn't due too soon though, it can't hurt to wait.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by mia
Improbable. This is Citi's third attempt to compete with American Express Platinum. Same as before they have pared back to make the card profitable. I don't see that anything Chase does would impact their thinking in the next 18 months. (It also sounds as if the AA-specific benefits were take away as part of Citi's bid to retain AA's co-brand business. If that's true there isn't much the Prestige product manager could restore now, except the $0.0133/point airfare redemption value.)
You are right about AA-specific benefits. Going to $0.015/point airfare redemption is an obvious move to become more competitive with Chase. I do not know if this will make Prestige unprofitable for Citi.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ltspongebob
Anyone have insight as to whether the $300 you spend in travel and the $300 credit will count towards the $4000 spend, or do you need a $4300 spend to actually get the bonus?
Don't risk 100k points for a $300 spend. Just not worth it.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by michael_v
No $100 Visa Infinite discount for this card. Source: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chas...-reserve-card/
Wow, no $100 discount and no GoGo. The City Crystal is looking even more better -- aside from the 100K signup bonus. My combo: Prestige, Crystal and Amex Platinum for spending and benefits and if I get approved, then get CSR and keep it until next year.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Not having the $100 Visa Infinite credit kind of sucks. Was definitely going to grab it by being able to pair that with the $300 credit from Chase. Now not 100% sure if it'll be a keeper after the first year.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:34 pm

I'm a little mixed on the $100 credit. Obviously, I'd like to have it, but given that next year I'll have no status it's pretty much a wash with any trips I'll be taking with my wife. When we travel together, it's likely we'll have two checked bags... so using an airline card instead of the CSR (I have both AA and UA cards), that's $100 in savings ($25 each way per person). I suspect this will be the case for many people considering this card who aren't on this forum. Probably less so for the people here.

When I travel alone, I often don't check a bag, but then I don't get the $100 off anyway.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
Wow, no $100 discount and no GoGo. The City Crystal is looking even more better -- aside from the 100K signup bonus. My combo: Prestige, Crystal and Amex Platinum for spending and benefits and if I get approved, then get CSR and keep it until next year.
What about the points' value? UR points are simply more valuable than City National points.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by penner42
I'm a little mixed on the $100 credit. Obviously, I'd like to have it, but given that next year I'll have no status it's pretty much a wash with any trips I'll be taking with my wife. When we travel together, it's likely we'll have two checked bags... so using an airline card instead of the CSR (I have both AA and UA cards), that's $100 in savings ($25 each way per person). I suspect this will be the case for many people considering this card who aren't on this forum. Probably less so for the people here.

When I travel alone, I often don't check a bag, but then I don't get the $100 off anyway.
For AA, you can pay with any card and still get free bags as long as you attach your AAdvantage number to your reservation.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:15 pm

How long does Chase tend to typically take for approval?

I have a CSP (18 months old) and had to call recon because wasn't immediately approve fir some reason. I ask because I have a cruise payment on 9/1 of $3,700 I'd love to put on CSR.

FWIW 800+ credit score, three cards (CSP, AmEx EDP, some old crappy Merril+ card I never use), income w/ spouse around $120,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.