Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by HotPie
Just got approved for the Ink Plus. 16 new cards in the past 24 months. The automated line stayed at "you will receive written notice within 30 days" for 3 weeks, I didn't call in, and today I was approved with a $5k credit line. I have a legit business and specified $7k annual revenue on the application. I have an EIN but I've never used it so I applied with my SSN.

In hindsight, I should have reduced the CLs on some of my other cards first since I'm pretty sure I'm at the limit of what Chase is willing to extend. Now that I'm approved, is there any danger in asking Chase to move some credit line from one of my personal cards to the Ink?
So 5/24 seems to not be as rigid on business cards. (Or maybe 5/24 is over!?)

To answer your question though, no harm in asking chase to move credit around, though it can be more difficult to move between Personal and Biz. Just send them a Secure Message through the app and see what they can do.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Chase's co-branded cards are definitely exempt from the 5/24.
I know a lot of people like to regurgitate and repeat what they repeatedly read, but there's enough real examples of hotel and airline cards being denied also.

So unless you can produce a copy of the memo on Chase letterhead, there is no exemption.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhdena
I know a lot of people like to regurgitate and repeat what they repeatedly read, but there's enough real examples of hotel and airline cards being denied also.

So unless you can produce a copy of the memo on Chase letterhead, there is no exemption.
Why did you chop off the second part of my sentence and then reply as if that part of my comment didn't exist?

Plenty of people who aren't subject to Chase's 5/24 rule simply aren't eligible — under regular underwriting standards having nothing to do with 5/24 — for a credit card, or an additional credit card. This has been true in the credit card world for decades.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:56 am
Suspended

So then please explain why Chase approved my Hyatt card just 2.5 months ago after I recently an app-o-rama totaling 9 cards? And I've easily applied for and been approved for 20+ cards in the past 18 months.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:32 am

On the other hand, there are so many real examples of Chase co-brand cards being approved with many more than 5/24, that it is actually quite clear that no 5/24 rule applies to these cards. There are many other reasons Chase may decline an application, especially the folks who impatiently call in rather than riding out the pending status to approval.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:55 am

No issues in my household being approved for co-branded cards, despite both of us being well over the 5/24 limits.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by TMM1982
So then please explain why Chase approved my Hyatt card .....
They read your posts in the "MR (USA) account balance suddenly increased 2X - 10X" thread and wanted a piece of your action?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
They read your posts in the "MR (USA) account balance suddenly increased 2X - 10X" thread and wanted a piece of your action?
Good point
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:45 am

Should I rethink about being an AU?

So does being an AU hurt you? My wife and I are AUs for each other's accounts so we can use the cards as needed especially during the time when we have to meet min spend. Plus, in some cases, having an AU gets you extra points.

I recounted my cards and have also counted the times my wife made me an AU:

Total # of new credit cards = 16
- With me as Primary Cardholder = 9 (3 are with Chase - Slate, United, Marriott)
- With me an an AU under my wife's accounts = 7 (4 are with Chase - Ink, Freedom, Sapphire, Hyatt)

Should I rethink about being an AU? Is this hurting me more?

Also, not sure if this is the place to ask, I'm trying to identify other Chase co-branded cards that might be worth applying for? Aside from the ones I mentioned, I can only think 2 others - IHG, and Southwest for companion fare?

Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by gap4jason
I'm trying to identify other Chase co-branded cards that might be worth applying for? Aside from the ones I mentioned, I can only think 2 others - IHG, and Southwest for companion fare?
After posting, I found this up above which gives me an idea of the other co-branded cards.

Marriott Premier Visa
IHG Rewards Visa/MC
Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase
Chase BA Visa
United MileagePlus Explorer Card; business card
United MileagePlus Club Card
Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards Mastercard (discontinued on Sept. 30, 2015)
Chase Amazon Visa

Last edited by gap4jason; Dec 22, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Per messages 2244 and 2245 (12/16/15):

"You can argue your way (or his way) thru the supervisor level on the AU accounts. Until he succeeds in doing so, he has way over 5 accounts opened in the past 24 months. Simple math."

Ok, a new data point which questions the above conclusion. Received a letter from Chase requesting a call in. Turns out that the app was placed in pending status because of an incorrect SSN. After providing the correct SSN and answering some questions, DH was approved for a $32K line with Sapphire. The AU status on the other cards did not hurt.

Did not ask whether this account would qualify for the 50K bonus. Will wait until the new card arrives sometime next week.

Last edited by pashber; Dec 22, 2015 at 2:30 pm Reason: Partial quote function issue.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by gap4jason
After posting, I found this up above which gives me an idea of the other co-branded cards.

Chase Freedom
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Ink Business Cards

Marriott Premier Visa
IHG Rewards Visa/MC
Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase
Chase BA Visa
United MileagePlus Explorer Card; business card
United MileagePlus Club Card
Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards Mastercard (discontinued on Sept. 30, 2015)
Chase Amazon Visa
The Freedom, Sapphire, and Inks are NOT co-branded. Since they were in the list you shared, I want that to be clear.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aza72
Well at least we can finally put the "Charge Cards Don't Count" rumor in its grave. It always seemed crazy to me that their credit report parser would be designed to exclude charge cards (which look a lot like CC on the reports), but not authorized users, which are actually a legitimate exception.
Where did you hear that rumor?

I always said "charge cards may not count", because Diners Club charge cards have never to date reported to any credit bureaus. "May not" is totally different for "don't"!

The point about some charge cards not counting was not because Chase wasn't counting them, but simply because they're weren't coming up on the credit reports that Chase was pulling.

Chase counts whatever they see, but if they can't see a charge card or a business card because it doesn't report to the credit bureau that Chase pulled, Chase can't count it. It's that simple.

It's just that not everyone has an up-to-date copy of whichever credit report Chase just pulled in front of them, so we explain that charge cards and business cards from other banks might not count.

Originally Posted by aza72
So 5/24 seems to not be as rigid on business cards. (Or maybe 5/24 is over!?)
Huh? Have not read the Wiki? It clearly says:
Does the 5/24 rule apply to applications for all Chase cards?
No. The rule does not apply to applications for the Ink Plus business card or to co-branded cards such as United, Hyatt, IHG, etc.
For months we've figured out that 5/24 doesn't apply to business cards (on which you don't call, anyway), nor to personal partner cards (on which you don't call, anyway). That's based on no one having gotten a written rejection for a business card or a personal partner card which mentioned 5/24.

People do get rejected for business cards and personal partner cards for vairous other reasons, and phone agents (if you're silly enough to talk to one) are known to "make up" reasons for rejections (because they don't have access to the real reasons necessarily). So data points based on what a phone agent said should be taken with a whole shakerful of grains of salt.

Please learn the real known "rules" of 5/24 before you start jumping to conclusions about what has changed!

They are exempt from 5/24. They are not exempt from a zillion other reasons for being denied, but you don't get useful results by mixing all reasons for being denied together as if the exact reason was irrelevant.

We know they're exempt from 5/24 because no one has ever reported a denial letter for a Chase hotel or airline card listing 5/24, while they have reported plenty of denial letters for CSP and Freedom listing 5/24. It's the pattern of who gets 5/24 mentioned on the denial letters on Chase letterhead and who doesn't get 5/24 mentioned on the denial letters on Chase letterhead which are the basis for figuring out what 5/24 does and doesn't apply to.

We'll never know anything if we wait for Chase to make official statements. But by doing crowdsourced data collection correctly, we can figure out a lot of things without official statements from Chase.

Last edited by mia; Dec 23, 2015 at 4:44 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:15 pm

Ink - Declined

Went in to my branch today and applied. Was declined. Said the reasons were opened CSP and Chase United in the last 60 days, which is true, and my business has no credit history. I explained it's a sole prop, and is registered with State, didn't matter. They asked if I had any other credit for the business I told them the only loan I ever had was paid off about 15 years ago. They said sorry, no business credit to report or look at and stated business income isn't enough. Sigh...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by spencerformiles
The Freedom, Sapphire, and Inks are NOT co-branded. Since they were in the list you shared, I want that to be clear.
You're right...thanks for the clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.