Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have applied for far more than 6 and last month picked up 2 additional cards,

Never had a problem,, and face it the worse they can say is No,

I tell them they have some great offers, that is why I apply for so many cards.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by mspel
I have done EXACTLY 5/24. I have seen some say that if CSP is your 5th, you will be declined, but in fact if it is your 6th, is that the case? Can someone please clarify as to whether it is your 5th that dooms you or your more than 5th that does it???? Thank you.
Look back over the thread, and it's not clear. Most data points are of CSP as one of the first cards, or way over the 5/24.

There have been a few reports of being denied at 5/24 and a few of being approved at 5/24.

If you want to know your odds you could read back over the thread and tabulate them (protip - set your flyertalk preferences to show 40 posts per page to make it go faster).

If you decide to apply, pay it forward post back with the new data point.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold
Originally Posted by aza72
Look back over the thread, and it's not clear. Most data points are of CSP as one of the first cards, or way over the 5/24.

There have been a few reports of being denied at 5/24 and a few of being approved at 5/24.

If you want to know your odds you could read back over the thread and tabulate them (protip - set your flyertalk preferences to show 40 posts per page to make it go faster).

If you decide to apply, pay it forward post back with the new data point.
So it seems about a 50/50 shot with having exactly 5 Experian inquiries in the last 24 months. I am considering applying tomorrow, will post results.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Teechop
applied for BA Visa - got decision pending..

last application (which was instant approved) was on Sept 4.. hope I didn't keep it too close to the 3 months cut-off. Will keep you posted what happens, I know already that I shouldn't call them so I'll stick to that..
Was approved today after exactly not doing anything for the last 10 days. 5k CL which is low but who cares. Three more months and we will see what happens with the next application. Can I do a business card in between?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mspel
So it seems about a 50/50 shot with having exactly 5 Experian inquiries in the last 24 months. I am considering applying tomorrow, will post results.
It has nothing to do with inquiries; it has to do with how many cards you opened (that show up on credit reports) in the past 24 months. (Some business cards and some charge cards don't show up on credit reports, and Amex-the-bank's cards opened before early this year might be backdated so they look as if they were opened years ago, if your first Amex-the-bank card was years ago.)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:42 pm

Got denied applying for a Southwest business card, and have been denied twice by reconsideration. The denial reason in the letter was "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us." The CSR today said I'd opened 4 credit cards in the last year with them, which I would say is conservative, it might actually be 5. It's a bummer--I just got the Southwest Plus card and was counting on the business card to get the companion pass early in 2016. Guess I need to hold off on Chase cards for 6 months or so and try to get the Southwest biz card again.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:43 pm

[QUOTE=aza72;25874449(protip - set your flyertalk preferences to show 40 posts per page to make it go faster[/QUOTE]

How exactly do you do that? I went into my profile but couldn't figure it out.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by Long Islander
How exactly do you do that? I went into my profile but couldn't figure it out.
Click "Edit Options" then go to "Number of Posts to Show Per Page"
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Just applied for a CSP for husband and got the dreaded "pending " 7-10 day response. Here are the cards which probably are covered by the 5/24 rule:

His personal cards are Citi Premier (opened 5/2015) and Alaska Air (opened 8/2015).

He is an AU on 4 of my cards:

1. Citi Premier (opened 8/2015);
2. CSP (opened 7/2013);
3. Chase Freedom (opened well over 10 years ago when it was TD Waterhouse)
4. Barclay (opened 9/2014; closed 9/2015).

He was an AU on Starwood AMEX, but that card was opened 9/2013 and was closed 9/2015.

He had a Chase Hyatt card (opened 8/2014; closed 10/2015) and is AU on my card (opened 3/2015), but my understanding is this card doesn't count against the 5/24 rule.

Credit scores for each of us are well over 800. We are retired, with pension, rental, and investment income.

Also tried applying for the Citi AA card, but ended up in pending status also. Puzzled by this, as I didn't think Citi was as hard-nosed as Chase.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pashber
Just applied for a CSP for husband and got the dreaded "pending " 7-10 day response. Here are the cards which probably are covered by the 5/24 rule:

His personal cards are Citi Premier (opened 5/2015) and Alaska Air (opened 8/2015).

He is an AU on 4 of my cards:

1. Citi Premier (opened 8/2015);
2. CSP (opened 7/2013);
3. Chase Freedom (opened well over 10 years ago when it was TD Waterhouse)
4. Barclay (opened 9/2014; closed 9/2015).

He was an AU on Starwood AMEX, but that card was opened 9/2013 and was closed 9/2015.

He had a Chase Hyatt card (opened 8/2014; closed 10/2015) and is AU on my card (opened 3/2015), but my understanding is this card doesn't count against the 5/24 rule.

Credit scores for each of us are well over 800. We are retired, with pension, rental, and investment income.

Also tried applying for the Citi AA card, but ended up in pending status also. Puzzled by this, as I didn't think Citi was as hard-nosed as Chase.
You wasted a HP on the application. You can argue your way (or his way) thru the supervisor level on the AU accounts. Until he succeeds in doing so, he has way over 5 accounts opened in the past 24 months. Simple math.

On top of that you probably misunderstand the above bolded part.

What makes you think the Hyatt card does not count in the 5 number of the 5/24? It is only not subjected to the 5/24 restriction when open a co-branded card. It surely is counted, just as other cards except the business cards from issuers than Chase because business cards are not reported on the credit reports, in calculating the number of opened accounts in the past 24 months. It also does not matter the card is closed.

Credit score is not going to have influence on the 5/24 rule unless the 5/24 is not violated yet the credit score is very low. Hence his over 800 score does not mean anything in the case of applying CSP because the 5/24 is violated by wide margin as AUs counted by the system.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 16, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Did I misread the Wiki? My impression is that Chase Hyatt is one of the co-branded cards, such as United and IHG.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

You can get a Chase co-branded card if you've opened more than 5 cards in 24 months. However, co-branded cards count toward the "5" number if/when one applies for a CSP, Freedom, or Slate.

In other words, if you've opened 10 new accounts this year, you can still get a Chase IHG card, but you almost assuredly won't get a Chase Sapphire Preferred, a Chase Freedom, or a Chase Slate.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pashber
Did I misread the Wiki? My impression is that Chase Hyatt is one of the co-branded cards, such as United and IHG.
Yes. You confuse the "opening/applying the cobranded cards" versus the calculation of "Opened Accounts" - They are completely two different matters.

Read the wiki again.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by bfwolf
Got denied applying for a Southwest business card, and have been denied twice by reconsideration. The denial reason in the letter was "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us." The CSR today said I'd opened 4 credit cards in the last year with them, which I would say is conservative, it might actually be 5. It's a bummer--I just got the Southwest Plus card and was counting on the business card to get the companion pass early in 2016. Guess I need to hold off on Chase cards for 6 months or so and try to get the Southwest biz card again.
y u didnt apply for the personal premier card? online app with 50k points is easily available.

i applied for premier and plus card on the same day and waited for 5 days to get it approved. No calls.

Opened 5 cards in 2 months before the southwest apps.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:51 am

So the Ink Plus isn't being subject to the 5/24 rule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.