Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Hacked Again?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Chase Ink Plus

On 6/5/2015 4:26 AM, a transaction in the amount of $0.80 was declined at: TORONTO CHILDRENS CHOR
Same charge appeared on my rarely used IHG card — only the charge went through and was refunded two days later.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:44 pm

Same here. I had a bunch of charges on my ink bold in Brazil and Mexico at the end of April to the end of May. All of the charges ranged from 15 cents, 20 cents, $1 to no more than $20 at mostly grocery stores.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by billatq
Out of curiosity, do you folks have the chipped versions of these cards? I have both a chipped Freedom and CSP and haven't seen any of these charges.
My CSP card which was compromised was chipped. Ironically, it was an upgrade from my previously non-chipped card, which in the 3 or so years I had it was never compromised.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
I administer 15 Chase ink cards for work. One account, 15 authorized users. All Pennsylvania-Ohio, no travel beyond that.

We've had 5 cards hacked this month, all spotted by Chase immediately.

The most telling and unique one is this - one user left for vacation. His card was hacked the day he left. We had a new card issued. He returned but we had no chance to give him his card, it was still in the drawer never used. It got hacked 2.5 weeks after the first one was hacked.

So no doubt Chase has a massive problem right now. They just haven't announced it.
Yesterday was card #6.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:13 pm

Two new IHG cards hacked , Brazil in person swipes

It sounds like chase got hacked.

DH and I both recently got new IHG cards (not chipped). I only used mind three times (local swipes) and DH only used once (local swipe). Last week Chase contacted me about three new suspicious charges on my account all in person swipes in Brazil. The first was under a dollar, the other two were under $100.

DH checked his account yesterday and found a $0.59 fraud charge, also from Brazil in person.

We are positive no one could have had access to our cards other than our four local swipes at non overlapping merchants.

Last edited by amberailene; Jun 11, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by amberailene
It sounds like chase got hacked.

DH and I both recently got new IHG cards (chipped). I only used mind three times (local swipes) and DH only used once (local swipe). Last week Chase contacted me about three new suspicious charges on my accont all in person swipes in Brazil. The first was under a dollar, the other two were under $100.

DH checked his account yesterday and found a $0.59 fraud charge, also from Brazil in person.

We are positive no one could have had access to our cards other than our four local swipes at non overlapping merchants.
Wait, you have a chipped IHG card? I literally just got one reissued within the past 2 weeks and it isn't chipped.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
My CSP was compromised today, I use it very frequently. This is after my Ink card was compromised a month ago (separate account), a card I rarely use as it's mostly set up with autopayments. Same CSP was also compromised around a year ago.

Chase seems pretty proactive about monitoring and correcting these issues, which I appreciate, but it's still annoying to to have to update all of my autopay bills, saved accounts, etc.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Wait, you have a chipped IHG card? I literally just got one reissued within the past 2 weeks and it isn't chipped.
Sorry, I just checked the IHG card and it's not chipped. I confused it with another chipped chase card I recently received. I'll edit the original post.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:46 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
FWIW, my ink had fraud activity out of Brazil a few days ago. Card wasn't sock drawer end but seldom used besides phone/cable.
Speaking of Brazil, my Presidential Plus credit card had a fraudulent charge at a Brazilian gas station. Actually, the charge was denied by Chase, which then next-day-aired me a replacement card.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

I spoke with Chase earlier this week on the phone about fraudulent charges on one of my accounts (already mentioned my Hyatt acct got compromised earlier in the thread). The rep I spoke with confirmed that "something" happened that has been causing higher than normal amounts of fraud... and that Chase is investigating, but said she couldn't say anything more.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very strange happening on a Marriott card

I have a retention of 15 transactions to earn 5K Marriott pts on the card.

To achieve the number I split the grocery purchase into one item per transaction. Today at an ethnic (read Hispanic-centric) store, the 4th transaction was declined. I thought it was because the same card being swiped at the same register one too many times (sometimes happened at CVS I notice), though never happens at the big grocery chain like Publix.

Anyway when I called Chase I was told to verify 3 transactions - 2 at a Service Station were declined, 1 at grocery store was pending. The card is never used at Service Station which I interpret it as Gas Station. So I wanted to talk to a human being instead of using the auto system. The Filipina rep confirmed there were 2 attempts at Service Station after the pending transaction at the grocery store. I told her the grocery store transactions were legit but I did not make any transaction at a Gas Station if that was what Service Station meant. She said yes, Service Station meant Gas Station, and immediately shut down the account then made expedite delivery of a new card to me. New card should arrive on Monday by UPS, though the driver may not ask for signature as Chase does not use Signature Required service. Would I be OK with it? Sure.

Went home and then saw 2 Chase Fraud Alert emails - the first one was the 3rd transaction at grocery store - it went thru but still generated a Fraud Alert email. The second one included 2 transactions - the 3rd transaction at grocery store, AND the 4th transaction that was declined. It had the same grocery store's name on the transaction - yet, Chase system classified it as from Service Station!

Called Chase again to seek more info - the rep said, yes, the declined transaction had the SAME merchant name as the grocery store which 3 transactions had gone thru. BUT, it was coded as from Service Station, not grocery store like the previous 3, hence the decline, like, someone was using a clone card making an attempt from another location. But it wasn't the case at all.

What I dont understand is, HOW a merchant's register would change merchant code midstream when same card is used to do consecutive transactions? My guess is, had the merchant code not changed, it would be a non-event and I would have done the 4th and the 5th transaction, and to wrap up the total 15 needed. Now I need to wait for the new card and hope the offer attached to the closed card would carry over to the replacement card so the 5K bonus will post... Very annoying.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 13, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:01 am

Anybody have an unauthorized change to their Primary address?
Noticed 2 of my accounts were changed to some address in SC after logging into account under "Customer Center>Change Mailing address, phone and/or email".
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by raj49
Anybody have an unauthorized change to their Primary address?
Noticed 2 of my accounts were changed to some address in SC after logging into account under "Customer Center>Change Mailing address, phone and/or email".
This happened to me years ago, with a Chase loan account that had a checkbook. Someone got hold of my SSN, figured out a bunch of information about me by ordering online credit reports, then called Chase to change the address on the account. They then had a checkbook sent to them, and I almost had a heart attack when I got a text notification from Chase saying a 6 figure check cleared the account.

I found out later that they also tried to change the address on my Chase credit card accounts, just like you describe. It's also possible that someone has hacked your online account (i.e., they have your password).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Son's supplementary CSP card was apparently "swiped" at Macy's Brooklyn, NY, when he was (or I) were no where near Brooklyn NY!!. Luckily Chase declined the charge, sent me an email asking me to confirm if it was a legit charge, and when I told them no, cancelled the cards and is sending replacement. Surprised to hear that fraudsters are actually making fake credit cards and using them for swiped transactions.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Son's supplementary CSP card was apparently "swiped" at Macy's Brooklyn, NY, when he was (or I) were no where near Brooklyn NY!!. Luckily Chase declined the charge, sent me an email asking me to confirm if it was a legit charge, and when I told them no, cancelled the cards and is sending replacement. Surprised to hear that fraudsters are actually making fake credit cards and using them for swiped transactions.
Happened all time. In fact more than 50% of the fraudulent charges we have had, are from cloned cards swiped thousands miles away on the other coast or in other countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.