Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Hacked Again?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 4:21 pm

My CSP was compromised three times in 4 months.

First time in was a Netflix charge in GBP that was automatically declined and a fraud alert email sent to me. Second one I was sitting in a Starbucks in Manhattan and a "large charge" push alert appeared on my phone which told me that someone charged $900 at a Best Buy on Long Island that very moment. On the third occasion Chase blocked a $1440 charge on ticketarena.co.uk.

All in all pretty annoying, as I use the CSP a lot. One thing is interesting though. A month before my CSP was first compromised my HSBC Premier card was also compromised. I rarely if ever use that card, but used it in December due to a points promo. I had maybe 3 to 4 charges on the HSBC card before it was compromised. I compared the list of places where I used both the HSBC and the CSP and the only common place was a local restaurant in Brooklyn. I didn't think much of it, but a couple of weeks later I was at that same restaurant and they didn't accept credit cards because their "credit card machine was down". Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My Southwest Premier was hacked a few months ago. Someone did an online purchase at some store that I don't remember.

Today it was my Southwest Plus. $25 charge at vistaprint. Chase actually alerted me to the charge and I found it a "LITTLE" comforting that they realized immediately that wasn't me.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:49 pm

IHG card in person transaction for 0.32 dollars from a grocery store in Brazil.

Called Chase and they've reissued me a new card. Said had not heard of other cases.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:59 pm

3 attempted charges at a liquor store in Brazil on my IHG card, but Chase blocked all 3. We were in Costa Rica a few days ago when I got the text. Called them and got a new card issued. This was a sock drawed card that I use about once every 3 months for a pay at the pump gas transaction, so not sure how anyone would have gotten the number.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:09 am

I administer 15 Chase ink cards for work. One account, 15 authorized users. All Pennsylvania-Ohio, no travel beyond that.

We've had 5 cards hacked this month, all spotted by Chase immediately.

The most telling and unique one is this - one user left for vacation. His card was hacked the day he left. We had a new card issued. He returned but we had no chance to give him his card, it was still in the drawer never used. It got hacked 2.5 weeks after the first one was hacked.

So no doubt Chase has a massive problem right now. They just haven't announced it.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
I administer 15 Chase ink cards for work. One account, 15 authorized users. All Pennsylvania-Ohio, no travel beyond that.

We've had 5 cards hacked this month, all spotted by Chase immediately.

The most telling and unique one is this - one user left for vacation. His card was hacked the day he left. We had a new card issued. He returned but we had no chance to give him his card, it was still in the drawer never used. It got hacked 2.5 weeks after the first one was hacked.

So no doubt Chase has a massive problem right now. They just haven't announced it.
Very interesting story. Definitely questionable how a card that was never used was hacked. I said on a different forum that I think there is a problem with Chase too. I have had 2 Chase cards in 3 months hacked and I am just 1 person. None of my other dozen of bank cards have been.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:42 am

My IHG card was used in Brazil at 'Mercado do Gaucho' this past weekend. Both sub-$1.00 charges were declined.

My in-laws had their Chase card fraudulently used in Brazil a couple weeks ago as well.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:35 am

My mom's IHG card was hacked this past week as well. Some small charges from Brazil. Called in and Chase promptly closed it out.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:33 am

Same here

MrsBumstead had 2 Chase cards go down last week. One card had online charges in Europe declined by Chase, the other one a nearly $300 charge in Brazil that we have to dispute.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Card numbers aren't hard to generate,

Chase is catching these because the number and expiration date being programmed onto the fake cards don't match.

Which means the source of the leak (if there is one) don't have the exp dates. Which makes a merchant or processor hack unlikely, as track data includes the date.

IMHO someone has the Chase card generation algorithm or has an inside source at the card personalizer (again, unlikely given wrong exp dates).
Old May 29, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
That's exactly what happened my last 2 hacks on different cards. They were trying to guess the expiration date.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:38 pm

Got my new CSP card today.

Interestingly it's a cheap bright blue shiny card I can easily snap half. Not the easy one with metal.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US, DL, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Club C. Gold, Marriott Silver
Had the following fraudulent charges on my IHG card that I sock drawered.

On 05/29/2015 05:18 PM, a transaction in the amount of $62.19 was declined at: POSTO TIDA, (Brazil)
On 05/29/2015 10:34 PM, a transaction in the amount of $10.00 was declined at: FORGOTTENHA, MI.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by cxua
IHG card in person transaction for 0.32 dollars from a grocery store in Brazil.

Called Chase and they've reissued me a new card. Said had not heard of other cases.
Same here $0.31 from some "in person" transaction in SA
Old May 30, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
My IHG card (number) apparent broke out of my safe last weekend, too, for a quick trip to Brazil. Only ever used the card at a few IHG properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.