Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Hacked Again?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ElDie
Jenesequoia, could you elaborate on how you got a 2nd bonus? Seem to me you were not eligible.
Thanks
(Responding to an old question, sorry, hadn't been on this thread for a while.)

I was eligible for the bonus because, for now, you can get the bonus every two years, although I assume it would require a cancel and then another hard pull. I believe this is a Chase-wide rule. Someone can correct me if wrong.

At first I'd intended to just leave the account cancelled due to too much hacking, but when I realized I'd be eligible again (due to it being nearly 3 years since I'd first opened the original account), I re-applied. I should be getting the 50k on next cycle; I already received the 5K for auth'd user.

And I came here to the thread to provide a data point: Been a whole month with the new account and no hacks yet. Knock on wood. (I was down to going a few days between each new card getting pwned there at the end.)
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:54 pm

For the first time in almost 3 years (that time it was on a Citi card) I had fraudulent charges on a credit card, my Chase IHG card. 70 bucks on vistaprint.com. New cards on the way
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Two days ago I was notified that my IHG card has to be changed again because of a security breach somewhere. This has happened 4 times in 3 years. When I asked if they could tell me where the breach occurred so I could stop using it in those locations (hotels, restaurants, and gas stations are the only places I use the card), I was told they are not allowed to give me the information. This is so frustrating. I know the fraud team wants to help me protect my card, but this has turned into a royal pain in the butt. Oh, and now they tell me the card has to be sent back to them to be destroyed because it has a chip in it!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CavePearl
Oh, and now they tell me the card has to be sent back to them to be destroyed because it has a chip in it!
The IHG isn't a metal card, right? Sending it back to them shouldn't be necessary if it's plastic.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by tmiw
The IHG isn't a metal card, right? Sending it back to them shouldn't be necessary if it's plastic.
It's plastic. I thought it strange that the rep said I had to return it so the chip could be destroyed. I'm not sure why cutting it up myself shouldn't be good enough.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Majuro ... or whatever the Minecraft vendor is called, cleverly put through three charges and two credits, figuring I wouldn't notice. The Filipina fraud rep I was put through to seemed almost bored with my fraud report.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:22 pm

As the administrator of about 20 employee cards, clearly Chase has an internal breach and/or someone has a random number generator (I am guessing the latter) that pings away forever. In a year we've probably had 20-30 cards fraudulently charged, and Chase always notices it immediately. One employee had it happen 3x despite only ever charging gas/hotel. Another card was charged before we even took it out of the envelope.

I think it is a random number generator for 2 reasons, Chase always notices the charge immediately. So I'm guessing they are trying to put through 2,000 charges at once with random number generator, 3-4 get through. That's pretty easy to spot if you're Chase. Secondly, the card that was charged still in the envelope. It definitely wasn't the gas station operator stealing his info.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
As the administrator of about 20 employee cards, clearly Chase has an internal breach and/or someone has a random number generator (I am guessing the latter) that pings away forever. In a year we've probably had 20-30 cards fraudulently charged, and Chase always notices it immediately. One employee had it happen 3x despite only ever charging gas/hotel. Another card was charged before we even took it out of the envelope.

I think it is a random number generator for 2 reasons, Chase always notices the charge immediately. So I'm guessing they are trying to put through 2,000 charges at once with random number generator, 3-4 get through. That's pretty easy to spot if you're Chase. Secondly, the card that was charged still in the envelope. It definitely wasn't the gas station operator stealing his info.
Thank you for this explanation. It would have been nice if the customer service rep could have had this in a script in front of them!

But does it make sense to change every card of every card holder every time such events occur? Since Chase is so effective at catching the breach early, it seems to me like it would be simpler to address the problems individually.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by CavePearl
Thank you for this explanation. It would have been nice if the customer service rep could have had this in a script in front of them!

But does it make sense to change every card of every card holder every time such events occur? Since Chase is so effective at catching the breach early, it seems to me like it would be simpler to address the problems individually.

When their is fraud they only change that individuals card, sorry if I misled you. It is amazing the scope of the problem, kind of scary actually.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
When their is fraud they only change that individuals card, sorry if I misled you. It is amazing the scope of the problem, kind of scary actually.
But my card had not been hacked and I was told there was no evidence that my account had ever been affected. Every time this has occurred it has been with my IHG card, and my account has shown zero fraudulent activity. I also have a Southwest branded Chase card and this has never happened with it. The whole thing just seems weird.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:21 pm

Another unauthorized charge on my IHG card today. I think it's the third one in the last 2 years, and this card is basically sock-drawered. I think I'm just going to cancel the card outright, I'm just tired of dealing with this.

Edit: Just checked, it's actually 3 in the last 10 months. I literally only had 1 legitimate charge during those 10 months, to go with the 3 fraudulent ones. I'm done with this.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
For 2nd time in 3 years our MileagePlus Explorer (me and wife, 2 different cards) was hacked. Both cards were hardly used. Both times in a country that we never used the card in. Both times Chase's system was smart enough to automatically decline the charge as a fraud.

Can it be that United MileagePlus keep the card numbers... and it is the system being hacked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.