Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Hacked Again?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:56 am

In my case I had used Visa Checkout once. I was wondering if the flaw is there and not at Chase. Did anyone else register with Visa Checkout on their compromised card?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by drumbum
By blocked, I mean that I'm receiving fraud notifications that state "this transaction was just declined by Chase. Was this you?"
Same here and the last time I used my card was 1/2015 to pay my annual fee on IHG card. No other charges since then until today. My charge was in Toronto Canada that they blocked.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:00 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
My Hyatt card was taken from somewhere, oddly enough I only used it inside of Hyatts and it coincided with a trip and the charges started appearing shortly after checking in. All were in Brazil. All in Sao Paulo, for names like Anderson Roupas, Alison Roupas, NICACIO ALVES, etc...all the charges were for random amounts under 20USD. I got an email from Chase regarding it and have a new card, but it makes me wonder if it was the hotel or something bigger, seeing this I believe it's something bigger.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
About the fourth time in the last two weeks I've gotten this while trying to login to my account:
"Your User ID and Password are inactive. To reactivate your online access, please call Customer Service at 1-877-242-7372. If you live outside the U.S., please contact Customer Service at 1-713-262-3300."

This requires me to call and have a rep clear my login. Changing pw did not matter, it happened again (and again...). Chase says it's because of the recent fraud charges (which have all been cleared). Prior to the fraud activity, I've never had login issues. I am SO tired of having to call them to re-set my account. Obviously something is going on with their system. Maybe the same IT team as Southwest (re: WN site meltdown thread)??

Last edited by LR2013; Jun 4, 2015 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:04 am

Had my IHG card stolen today. Second Chase card in 2 months. I have used my IHG at two large retail stores 1 time each. The card is about 3 months old. The purchase was a small purchase at "Supermercado Lara".

I also had my Hyatt compromised literally a couple days after receiving it. I used it once at a Hyatt, but I believe the card was compromised even before I used it at the Hyatt.

If card numbers are getting stolen or generated, personal information isn't likely far behind.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm thinking the information was not stolen, it was guessed. If you ask chase they will most likely tell you it was declined because they were trying to guess the expiration date. That is what happened to both of mine.

If it had been stolen the expiration date would have been stolen as well.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Same here and the last time I used my card was 1/2015 to pay my annual fee on IHG card. No other charges since then until today. My charge was in Toronto Canada that they blocked.
My IHG card was also used in Toronto Canada and no charges since May on it.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e

If it had been stolen the expiration date would have been stolen as well.
I guess when I read posts like this, if they are generating cards - they must be batting 1.000

I have a few websites that are saying the past few weeks have been hit very hard with fraud attempts (almost more people that bank with Chase have had issues than people who haven't). I'm not saying the possibility of these people generating card numbers isn't a possibility, but on a card that was 2 months old and another that was 3 weeks old? Seems far fetched.

And it's only Chase.
And it's been increased significantly in the past month.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rrgg
In my case I had used Visa Checkout once. I was wondering if the flaw is there and not at Chase. Did anyone else register with Visa Checkout on their compromised card?
I had never used Visa checkout on any of my four cards that have been compromised in the past month.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:00 pm

Looking for more data points: Has anyone here put their Chase login credentials in some other website/program like Mint.com/Quicken/etc? I noticed Chase had a warning about doing so the other day on their home page.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
Looking for more data points: Has anyone here put their Chase login credentials in some other website/program like Mint.com/Quicken/etc? I noticed Chase had a warning about doing so the other day on their home page.
Nope, brand new card pretty much. Some people on Reddit are saying their card was compromised before they even received it in the mail. From all the research I have personally been able to do, I have determined the following:

1) This is large scale. I couldn't estimate percentages, but it's high.

2) It's ongoing. People with pretty much brand new accounts are being compromised as of just today.

3) It seems to be mostly the IHG and the CSP in the recent fraud alerts. Although I have seen the Freedom and United mentioned a few times as well.

4) Most all fraud purchases are coming from Brazil or online charities.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received a fraud alert on my Ink+ card for a declined transaction involving some online charity. I called Chase -- they closed that card and will send me a new one.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I agree. Someone figured out the Chase numbering algorithm and they're going to town with it.

Chase, IMHO, has a big problem on its hands, and the only solution I can think of is to change the algorithm and issue everyone new cards. Not unlike the millions they had to reissue after the Target breach.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:54 pm

Similar thing happened to me. Opened a new Slate card that I hadn't used anywhere yet and after couple weeks of activating it received a fraud alert for a purchase in a far away State from where I live. Chase of course caught the fraud but I'm shocked that this was even possible.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Friend said he got an alert today that a charge from CA was attempted on his UA card for 76.95. It took 15 min for him to get thru Chase Fraud Dept. His friend got a fraudulent charge from Brazil.

We had a fraudulent charge attempt on husband's UA card 2 months ago, from Central America by a telecom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.