Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For more current information on Chase-to-Chase UR transfers, see the wiki & discussion at 11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts.
Print Wikipost

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Can you list what UR cards both of you have? Any past transfers to each other or other parties? Have you combined your points into one card and then transfer to your wife's account? Have you tried combining your points into a different card and then transferring to your wife's account?
here's the history:

- 2 years ago i transferred points from my ink, which i don't have anymore, to her sapphire
- 1 year ago i closed my sapphire for a sapphire reserve and those points were 'transferred' to me. chase did this per my request, or maybe i did, i don't remember. either way i can't find any linked cards when i go to "combine points" option.
- last week i'm trying to transfer points from my sapphire reserve to her sapphire (that she had for 3 years now) and this whole issue started.

the most annoying thing is that i pay $400 for this card and for someone to tell me on the phone they can't give me information and i need to wait for some letter to come in is absurd. i honestly expected much more out of chase's customer service.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JBG89
My mother was attempting to transfer 100,000 from her Chase UR account to mine.
Do you both reside in the same household? If not, by rule, she cannot combine her points with yours, and you may not want to press too hard.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Iridium7777
here's the history:

- 2 years ago i transferred points from my ink, which i don't have anymore, to her sapphire
- 1 year ago i closed my sapphire for a sapphire reserve and those points were 'transferred' to me. chase did this per my request, or maybe i did, i don't remember. either way i can't find any linked cards when i go to "combine points" option.
- last week i'm trying to transfer points from my sapphire reserve to her sapphire (that she had for 3 years now) and this whole issue started.
Is your wife's acct (sapphire) linked to any accounts?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:26 pm

Nothing is laying on my side, nothing seems to be laying on her side either, but I'll have her call in and verify.

Four out of the five times now that I've spoken to a customer rep seems to be telling me that because of the reserve card I cannot seem to be able to transfer points out to anything that's not an authorized user on my reserve card, for which they want $75. This seems to be some new rule that they are pushing or at least the customer reps are trying to push.

Eventually I did get connected to a manager and that seems to be telling me it's an issue with my wife's account but then the call dropped so I have no idea what's going on until I call back tomorrow.

Either way, is anyone aware of the rule that you cannot transfer points out of the Sapphire reserve card to any other non-reserve card?

as far as I know my wife lives in my house and the billing address should be the same
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...because of the reserve card I cannot seem to be able to transfer points out to anything that's not an authorized user on my reserve card, for which they want $75. ...
It may be helpful to use Chase's own vocabulary. Transfer means redeem UR points for airline miles or hotel points. You are not attempting to transfer. Combine means move points from one UR account to another. On personal cards there is no Authorized User requirement to combine, only that you reside in the same household.

The representatives are inventing an explanation because there is a technical failure which they do not understand and cannot fix.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It may be helpful to use Chase's own vocabulary. Transfer means redeem UR points for airline miles or hotel points. You are not attempting to transfer. Combine means move points from one UR account to another. On personal cards there is no Authorized User requirement to combine, only that you reside in the same household.
This. Iridium7777, be sure to use the term "combine" when talking to the reps.

For reference, link to Reserve UR agreement:

https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

See bottom of page 3.

The representatives are inventing an explanation because there is a technical failure which they do not understand and cannot fix.
Although this is generally true, the reps are correct if Iridium7777 is using the term "transfer" rather then "combine".
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:14 am

here's the history:

the most annoying thing is that i pay $400 for this card and for someone to tell me on the phone they can't give me information and i need to wait for some letter to come in is absurd. i honestly expected much more out of chase's customer service.
I know you don't have the card any more but can you still login to your Ink business account? If you can, you may be able to unlink her card from that Ultimate Rewards account.

Also, what is your end game? Does your wife need the points? Is there any way you can book whatever travel she needs using your points?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:39 am

it's odd because when i got my chase sapphire reserve and tried to log in with my old username it was already taken up for that "lingering" ink card. it's been completely removed on my side and i don't see it anymore.

before i got disconnected yesterday the manager seemed to be poking around and saying that the message that she's getting is that my wife's account is not authorized for the transaction. i'm going to have my wife call in today and see if they can see any of my old cards linked to her sapphire and if so to unlink them all, if that doesn't work i don't know what to do.

i'll keep you guys posted, and i'm also really curious to read this elusive written letter that is supposed to explain everything to me that the reps couldn't quote.

[QUOTE=pallhedge;28696877]I know you don't have the card any more but can you still login to your Ink business account? If you can, you may be able to unlink her card from that Ultimate Rewards account.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Either way, is anyone aware of the rule that you cannot transfer points out of the Sapphire reserve card to any other non-reserve card?
It's not what you asked, but I recently combined (using Chase's term) points by moving them from a non-Sapphire card to a Sapphire card in a different user's name (in the same household).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier-1K, DM,SM,BA,AA & SPG
Experiencing the same issue as noted above regarding combining UR points from my wife's INK to my Reserve. I can move points without issues between both of our ink accounts and I can move points from my INK account to my Reserve. So the work around in my case is moving my wife's INK points to one of My Ink accounts and then transferring again to my reserve account. A bit of PITA but it works.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:26 pm

i haven't read the entire thread so i'm not sure if this is new but i tried to add my wife to my account and got the unexpected error. i tried adding me to my wife's account and was able to do so and was able to transfer points. i have a sapphire preferred but my wife has a reserve so we would like all the points in her account. i sent a message to chase and they supposedly forwarded my request to the correct department but we'll see what happens.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:31 am

i figured i'd give an update for those that care.

apparently my old ink card is still stuck somewhere in the chase system both in my accounts and as linked to my wife's account, even though the card was not active for 2+ years now.

this got forwarded for the 3rd time to some tech team in chase apparently, they did do a manual adjustment of points for me, but the final solution is another 5-7 business days away (of them cleanly deleting the old ink card from their system and unlinking everything).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:24 am

I ran into the "Unexpected Error" problem trying to combine UR points from my Ink business account to my CSR account. I tried removing all known card links without success. I called Chase and the rep tried to tell me it was a browser problem. I told the rep I tried it on 3 different browsers and still had the problem. The rep concluded I should simply call in when I want to combine points. I requested to talk to a supervisor and he promised to escalate this issue and said a tech team will contact me within a few days. Having worked in the computer industry for 35 years, I know some activities are relegated to overnight batch processing. The next morning I tried again and it worked. So if you run into this problem, I suggest removing all card links and try again the next day.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:34 am

I had trouble moving my wife's points from Buss to Pers, but was able to move them to my a/c and then to her personal. i.e. it worked using a 3rd account as intermediate.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:44 pm

I have an Ink Plus account that I've been wanting to combine points with a Freedom card. I've gotten the 'unexpected error' for the longest time so I decided to call customer service. I simply gave the customer service person the last four digits of my Freedom account and told her I wanted all the points on my Ink Plus card (had the balance on my screen so told her the total amount of points) and she was able to transfer the points immediately without questions asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.