Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For more current information on Chase-to-Chase UR transfers, see the wiki & discussion at 11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts.
Print Wikipost

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99
Last month I transferred some UR points from my wife's account to mine with no issue at all. The transfer was done instantly.

Both of our Chase accounts have the exact same last name and address listed.

I've never heard of a "once a year" rule/policy.
Representative at chase told me I can't transfer because of once a year rule
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by tiffany
does chase only allow you to combine/transfer to your family(same household) once a year? my dad transferred his points to mine in March. Now, I want to transfer my husband points to my account, chase wont let me. He has chase saphire preferred , I have chase sapphire reserve. Chase representative can't transfer it either. Please let me know if this is new policy . What can I do to combine. TIA.
See the 2 posts directly prior to yours that describe the success story. You have 2 external accounts (dad and husband) trying to combine points to your account. This generally doesn't work.

Try this: have your dad remove your card from his combine points options. Wait at least 24 hours -- longer is better. Then have your husband try again.

FYI - Chase phone reps will make up a phony reason (like one transfer per year) when they can't figure out how to make something work.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Having this problem as well... I have a personal UR and business UR account, and my wife as well. My two accounts are linked without problem, and her account used to be linked to mine as well. However, when I try to link her business one to either her personal account or any of mine, the error message pops out. Not sure what to do (in my wife's personal account, her last name is still her maiden one).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to transfer points to my spouse. I entered the account number and last name, it added the card, but then when I refreshed the page, the card was not there, so I went to try to add it again to actually do the transfer, but I got an Unexpected Error message. I have not transferred any points yet, so not sure why.

Any ideas how I can go about getting this done?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitefusion
Hello everyone,

I am trying to transfer points to my spouse. I entered the account number and last name, it added the card, but then when I refreshed the page, the card was not there, so I went to try to add it again to actually do the transfer, but I got an Unexpected Error message. I have not transferred any points yet, so not sure why.

Any ideas how I can go about getting this done?
Sorry to say but reading this thread from the beginning may find your answer since you have found this ongoing thread when issues surfaced a few years ago.

There are myriad of issues most are caused by system glitches. Chase naturally has no intention to fix the system glitches. Why would they?

Chase reps have NO CLUE and they just use boiler plate answers to brush people off. Better to self-help by reading carefully on this thread how people figure out the workaround of things.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:33 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I got the same error as others when attempting to move UR points from my INK card to my CSR card. After reading many of the previous posts, it worked!

History:

Several months ago, I had moved a few thousand UR points from my wife's CSR card to my CSR card.

Yesterday, I attempted to move UR points from my INK card to my CSR card and failed due to the error.

After reading the many posts, I logged into my wife's account and REMOVED the stored listing of my CSR card.

I immediately attempted to transfer the points again and failed.

After waiting until the next morning, the transfer worked successfully!

Removing the target account number from the 3rd card and waiting until the next day resolved the problem for me!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by roberto99
I got the same error as others when attempting to move UR points from my INK card to my CSR card. After reading many of the previous posts, it worked!

History:

Several months ago, I had moved a few thousand UR points from my wife's CSR card to my CSR card.

Yesterday, I attempted to move UR points from my INK card to my CSR card and failed due to the error.

After reading the many posts, I logged into my wife's account and REMOVED the stored listing of my CSR card.

I immediately attempted to transfer the points again and failed.

After waiting until the next morning, the transfer worked successfully!

Removing the target account number from the 3rd card and waiting until the next day resolved the problem for me!
Thanks for this thorough data point. Can you tell me if your Ink and CSR accounts are in separate logins of have you combined them?

Also, if you still would like to get points from your wife's CSR to yours, send her CSR points to your Ink, then on to your CSR. My theory is that with separate logins, points need to move in a straight line from card to card--not multiple cards feeding one.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:10 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
... My theory is that with separate logins, points need to move in a straight line from card to card--not multiple cards feeding one.
Every month I combine points from my various UR accounts (four cards, three logins) to my spouse's account. I send them all to her Freedom card, one after another, and then consolidate from her Freedom to her Sapphire Reserve.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
Every month I combine points from my various UR accounts (four cards, three logins) to my spouse's account. I send them all to her Freedom card, one after another, and then consolidate from her Freedom to her Sapphire Reserve.
That definitely flies in the face of my theory. That said, my workaround seems to have helped at least a few readers, so I'm ok with being wrong about the cause.

I'm curious, if you have no issues, why you don't combine directly to your spouse's Sapphire Reserve instead of the interim step to her Freedom. Perhaps it's best not to mess with something that's not broken.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:46 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
...why you don't combine directly to your spouse's Sapphire Reserve ...
Previously I combined directly to her Sapphire Preferred, but in the transition from Preferred to Reserve I changed to Freedom because I knew that card would remain open long term.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Previously I combined directly to her Sapphire Preferred, but in the transition from Preferred to Reserve I changed to Freedom because I knew that card would remain open long term.
That is exactly what I do as well for the exact same reason.
Although I often just let the points at my Freedom sit. May be I need to be more diligent and do it monthly.
In the past few years there were actually gap of months when we did not have any card had transferability. Of course it depends on each person's situation but I assume many really dont need to maintain a fee-based card to keep the transferability all the time.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:43 am

All, I am getting the unexpected error. Via my browser, I got all the info entered in and then pressed transfer. Nothing happened. So logged back out and back in and still see points in the original accounts. Then I go to do the transfer again and it says unexpected error. Looks like a system glitch that thinks I did a transfer so not letting me do another one for a year?!?!? I am going to wait 24 hours and try again, but any thoughts. Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

It was a while ago, but I believe I had the same thing (nothing, then error on retry) happen the last time I transferred points. When the dust settled, it appeared that the first attempt had succeeded (I don't recall what led me to believe it was the first attempt) and I should have just waited. Waiting 24 hours is probably a good course of action (for the next 24 hours). Please report pack on what you find tomorrow.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:18 pm

found this thread because i'm currently living through something similar for over a week now and it's frustrating as hell.

wanted to combine my points and transfer them to my wife's sapphire card, last week got the unexpected error and called the number on the back of my card. whomever i talked to tried doing the same thing, couldn't get it to work and told me they're putting a trouble ticket.

today i try to do it online again, still get an unexpected error, call the number on my card and talk to another useless rep that tells me i need to pay $75 to authorize a user on my card and i tell them that's not correct as the website itself says you can transfer it to a spouse that shares your address and has a rewards account.

i get put on hold so she can talk to her manager, about 5 minutes later she says they looked into the matter and that their marketing department has sent me a letter on the 11th -- she can't tell me what the letter says, what her manager says, and just tells me to wait until i receive the letter from the "marketing" department whom always have the "final say".

i wonder what this is all about?

incidentally, how do i check if i have any cards linked to my account? i called my wife and asked her to check if she has anything linked and it doesn't seem so.

it's extremely frustrating as i'm sitting on a decent 6fig amount of points.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Iridium7777
found this thread because i'm currently living through something similar for over a week now and it's frustrating as hell.

wanted to combine my points and transfer them to my wife's sapphire card, last week got the unexpected error and called the number on the back of my card. whomever i talked to tried doing the same thing, couldn't get it to work and told me they're putting a trouble ticket.

today i try to do it online again, still get an unexpected error, call the number on my card and talk to another useless rep that tells me i need to pay $75 to authorize a user on my card and i tell them that's not correct as the website itself says you can transfer it to a spouse that shares your address and has a rewards account.

i get put on hold so she can talk to her manager, about 5 minutes later she says they looked into the matter and that their marketing department has sent me a letter on the 11th -- she can't tell me what the letter says, what her manager says, and just tells me to wait until i receive the letter from the "marketing" department whom always have the "final say".

i wonder what this is all about?

incidentally, how do i check if i have any cards linked to my account? i called my wife and asked her to check if she has anything linked and it doesn't seem so.

it's extremely frustrating as i'm sitting on a decent 6fig amount of points.
Can you list what UR cards both of you have? Any past transfers to each other or other parties? Have you combined your points into one card and then transfer to your wife's account? Have you tried combining your points into a different card and then transferring to your wife's account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.