Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by FlugE
I have a short US credit history, 7 months and 4 opened accounts.
There is the key, you are new to the USA and have activated the algorithm on foreign nationals, new permanent residents, illegals, etc... This kind of behavior shuts you down. If you get a card of any kind in the USA, you should use that one and only that one for three years or more. Then add on another and use it for a year or more. (Does not apply to retail cards) After you have a seasoned credit report and an established history in the USA, a LONG established history, you can possibly then enter the more cards game. YMMV

I managed to call Chase from Thailand.....
I am not a churner. I would really want a good travel card that is not an Amex but I have a short US credit history, 7 months and 4 opened accounts.
Looking more into what I as a financial analyst would see. I see a person opening up too many accounts too quickly who has little or no permanent ties to the USA. Furthermore, this person may have had a transaction in Thailand which all foreign transactions usually cause an eye to be put on the account. This makes me wonder if you are moving to another country. If you are now a bust out risk. I would close all of your accounts. Too much too fast too risky!!!

Last edited by mia; Feb 16, 2019 at 9:48 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
There is the key, you are new to the USA and have activated the algorithm on foreign nationals, new permanent residents, illegals, etc... This kind of behavior shuts you down. If you get a card of any kind in the USA, you should use that one and only that one for three years or more. Then add on another and use it for a year or more. (Does not apply to retail cards) After you have a seasoned credit report and an established history in the USA, a LONG established history, you can possibly then enter the more cards game. YMMV

Looking more into what I as a financial analyst would see. I see a person opening up too many accounts too quickly who has little or no permanent ties to the USA. Furthermore, this person may have had a transaction in Thailand which all foreign transactions usually cause an eye to be put on the account. This makes me wonder if you are moving to another country. If you are now a bust out risk. I would close all of your accounts. Too much too fast too risky!!!
I hear you. Thankfully Amex have the global transfer program where you can benefit from your previous foreign relation. Otherwise I'd be stuck with secured cards for a while.

Speaking of which (and slightly off-topic) - it would be awesome if the secured concept could apply to almost any card. I'd happily "secure" a CSP or CSR by depositing even 2x the credit line if that would be an option.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
If you get a card of any kind in the USA, you should use that one and only that one for three years or more. Then add on another and use it for a year or more. (Does not apply to retail cards) After you have a seasoned credit report and an established history in the USA, a LONG established history, you can possibly then enter the more cards game. YMMV
This is simply not true. I got approved for an account with HSBC the month I arrived in the US. A couple of months later, Discover approved me. A couple of months later, I got an Amex. A year in, I had two Chase cards. In 6 years in the US, I have accumulated a total of 17 accounts (many of those closed by now), including a mortgage. I only ever got one rejection, from Capital One (ha).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by blaz
This is simply not true. I got approved for an account with HSBC the month I arrived in the US. A couple of months later, Discover approved me. A couple of months later, I got an Amex. A year in, I had two Chase cards. In 6 years in the US, I have accumulated a total of 17 accounts (many of those closed by now), including a mortgage. I only ever got one rejection, from Capital One (ha).
I also looked at HSBC but they expect you to have had a US address for 3 years before applying...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Thankfully Amex have the global transfer program .....
I also looked at HSBC but they expect you to have had a US address for 3 years before applying...
HSBC has a program similar to Global Transfers, but it requires opening a Premier bank account in the country where you have an established credit history, and then asking to have a bank account and card opened in another country (or several).

I believe Citi has a similar program.

This is an area in which Chase is not competitive. Even though JP Morgan is a trans-national investment bank, Chase is not a player in consumer banking outside the USA.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:31 am

Back in summer during the wave of chase shutdowns I was shutdown also (not due to MS/debt etc, just being lol/24, this was confirmed as i heard the notes kept on file from multiple reps). Reinstatement didn't happen.

After several months I tried applying again (marriott busn) but still denied due to "unsatisfactory relationship". Do we know how long this black mark stays, is it forever and I'll never be able to get a chase card ever again or is there hope?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Likely a very long time. Even people who are approved often get shut down again soon thereafter.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Back in summer during the wave of chase shutdowns I was shutdown also (not due to MS/debt etc, just being lol/24, this was confirmed as i heard the notes kept on file from multiple reps). Reinstatement didn't happen.

After several months I tried applying again (marriott busn) but still denied due to "unsatisfactory relationship". Do we know how long this black mark stays, is it forever and I'll never be able to get a chase card ever again or is there hope?
Supposedly forever, more likely only ten or fifteen years.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For goodness sake, Chase fired you as a customer. Move on and do business elsewhere. Why would you come begging back?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Amex has a Marriott card, but it’s not like people shut down by Chase have options when it comes to United, Hyatt, Southwest, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I always chuckle when I see LOL/24, but what actually constitutes the LOL threshold? I mean are we talking 20+? And I'm assuming Chase doesn't care about how many total non /24 cc's one has.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 22, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
For goodness sake, Chase fired you as a customer. Move on and do business elsewhere. Why would you come begging back?
Why else - for the bonus points.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by physics
I guess I'm here to say if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone (who's trying at all).
No shady stuff with UR (I've been saving up and haven't even redeemed any for a couple years).
... They are still looking!
Well, I'm bummed. I got a call back from the Executive Office saying my appeal was denied. (They had told me to fax them.)
The official reason on my shutdown letter was "rewards misuse".

They wouldn't tell me any more details about the shutdown reason, so I'm left with my speculation: It was probably the 6 mo. of high spend on my CSP,
particularly what I was buying. What was I buying? Well, with a nod to AlohaDaveKennedy and his obfuscations: I needed to get on my roof. And no I'm not going to tell you where I was buying that. Find your own damn unicorn shutdown trigger.

Lessons learned: I probably shouldn't have done that much spending on one card consecutively. No reason I couldn't use other bank's cards some months, which is what I'll do now.
Second: In jan., I did split the payoff of my balance between 2 different checking accounts. I was shutdown shortly after. Churning lore says that may have been a contributing factor in putting eyes on my account.
Third: An outside chance that crossing a big UR balance threshold causes some cursory review.

I'm going to miss my Ink Cash for its 5x during the OD/OM promos the most. That was a nice 125k UR/year at no cost except a little running around. Though losing the annual IHG and Hyatt free nights stings a little, too. Due to being way over 5/24, I wouldn't have been opening any new cards with them anyway. Now I have another reason to not worry about 5/24.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:03 pm

Shutdown for being just a credit risk is likely one of the shorter bans for Chase. Some get back in after a year or two, others several years, and some it might take 10-15 years. It could also be forever but nothing is absolute with Chase's greed/incompetence.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:28 am

I probably already know the answer, but is going for a sixth Chase card in the last ten months pushing it too much? I fell back below 5/24 in April 2018. Re-started the Chase gauntlet with the CSR in May plus 3 additional biz cards and one more personal card since then, typically spaced out every few months. Last app was the SW card in January 2019.

800+ credit, good income, have proactively reduced credit lines after each approval to current $30K total across five existing Chase cards. Really want the Explorer biz card 75K bonus before it goes away mid March. Plan would be to lay low on Chase after that for at least 4-5 months.

Thanks much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.