FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:15 pm
physics

Originally Posted by physics
I guess I'm here to say if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone (who's trying at all).
No shady stuff with UR (I've been saving up and haven't even redeemed any for a couple years).
... They are still looking!
Well, I'm bummed. I got a call back from the Executive Office saying my appeal was denied. (They had told me to fax them.)
The official reason on my shutdown letter was "rewards misuse".

They wouldn't tell me any more details about the shutdown reason, so I'm left with my speculation: It was probably the 6 mo. of high spend on my CSP,
particularly what I was buying. What was I buying? Well, with a nod to AlohaDaveKennedy and his obfuscations: I needed to get on my roof. And no I'm not going to tell you where I was buying that. Find your own damn unicorn shutdown trigger.

Lessons learned: I probably shouldn't have done that much spending on one card consecutively. No reason I couldn't use other bank's cards some months, which is what I'll do now.
Second: In jan., I did split the payoff of my balance between 2 different checking accounts. I was shutdown shortly after. Churning lore says that may have been a contributing factor in putting eyes on my account.
Third: An outside chance that crossing a big UR balance threshold causes some cursory review.

I'm going to miss my Ink Cash for its 5x during the OD/OM promos the most. That was a nice 125k UR/year at no cost except a little running around. Though losing the annual IHG and Hyatt free nights stings a little, too. Due to being way over 5/24, I wouldn't have been opening any new cards with them anyway. Now I have another reason to not worry about 5/24.