Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:47 pm

Just had a Chase Reserve and Ink account closed due to MS.

I'm told by regular phone reps that the points should still post when my statement cycles this month; I've avoided calling the loans dept. to discuss as I want to wait until the points have been deposited into my acct.

My card is linked to other Chase accts so I'm able to combine points and transfer them to "safe" cards that are not at risk of being shut down.

When I login to the UR portal, it still indicates that I will earn XYZ on my next statement. How certain is this?

Should I feel relatively assured that the points will post?

I spoke with two separate tel. reps (one for Reserve and one for Ink Pref) and both said I'll get the points. I am expecting around 130K so I'm a bit on edge until I see the balance in my account!

My Reserve statement cycles on the 11th and Ink Pref should be this coming Monday. Any particular reason for concern or doubt?

Also, any reason to call the lending dept. to inquire or contest closure for obvious MS?

I used my card for a large deposit into an out of state credit union. The FCU got pissed and I'm pretty sure they contacted Chase about it. I've never put any other MS on this card however and I've been using it regularly for 4-5 years with heavy annual spend. I always get the "thanks for being one of our best customers" line when I call in.

Not that I really needed to keep this card mind you, I was planning on dumping it next year... I'm just wondering if there's any good reason to reach out to lending to dispute the acct closures? Since the acct is linked to other family accts (lots of AUs which allow for transfers among cards) I wonder if it's best to avoid any thorough reviews or human eyes focusing in? Again, this MS was pretty blatant but it's also the only evidence they'll find so I could probably play dumb about it... not sure whether I should bother?

It was an insanely high credit line which I doubt I can get again and it helped my utilization score.

Last edited by philemer; Apr 5, 2017 at 9:15 pm
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:20 am
jk2

Originally Posted by OliverB
Just had a Chase Reserve and Ink account closed due to MS.

I'm told by regular phone reps that the points should still post when my statement cycles this month; I've avoided calling the loans dept. to discuss as I want to wait until the points have been deposited into my acct.

My card is linked to other Chase accts so I'm able to combine points and transfer them to "safe" cards that are not at risk of being shut down.

When I login to the UR portal, it still indicates that I will earn XYZ on my next statement. How certain is this?

Should I feel relatively assured that the points will post?

I spoke with two separate tel. reps (one for Reserve and one for Ink Pref) and both said I'll get the points. I am expecting around 130K so I'm a bit on edge until I see the balance in my account!

My Reserve statement cycles on the 11th and Ink Pref should be this coming Monday. Any particular reason for concern or doubt?

Also, any reason to call the lending dept. to inquire or contest closure for obvious MS?

I used my card for a large deposit into an out of state credit union. The FCU got pissed and I'm pretty sure they contacted Chase about it. I've never put any other MS on this card however and I've been using it regularly for 4-5 years with heavy annual spend. I always get the "thanks for being one of our best customers" line when I call in.

Not that I really needed to keep this card mind you, I was planning on dumping it next year... I'm just wondering if there's any good reason to reach out to lending to dispute the acct closures? Since the acct is linked to other family accts (lots of AUs which allow for transfers among cards) I wonder if it's best to avoid any thorough reviews or human eyes focusing in? Again, this MS was pretty blatant but it's also the only evidence they'll find so I could probably play dumb about it... not sure whether I should bother?

It was an insanely high credit line which I doubt I can get again and it helped my utilization score.
points will post, don't worry. It wouldn't be a case few years ago, though.

Nowadays, from my experience (others can disagree, I'm sure), I wouldn't use Chase cards for any 'non-traditional' transactions, especially in financial institutions (like you did your deposit). It seems Chase monitors now everything and if they don't like something, they will close an account in heartbeat.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:58 am

Thanks for the reassurance!

Can I open new accts with Chase or am I now blacklisted as a result of that one single transaction?

I've just discovered that my remaining Ink+ was closed out too...

What would happen if I applied for a new CC with Chase?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jk2
Chase become very unreasonable.

If you didn't discover Chase's unreasonableness until 2017, consider yourself lucky. Many of us have been hit with Chase's odd and inconsistent business model for years.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
points will post, don't worry. It wouldn't be a case few years ago, though.

Nowadays, from my experience (others can disagree, I'm sure), I wouldn't use Chase cards for any 'non-traditional' transactions, especially in financial institutions (like you did your deposit). It seems Chase monitors now everything and if they don't like something, they will close an account in heartbeat.
Would Chase count an opening deposit for a bank account charged to the CC as MS?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
Would Chase count an opening deposit for a bank account charged to the CC as MS?
Isn't that the major reason cited in the latest closure report in OliverB's case? He funded a 20K opening balance at a CU thousands miles away with his Chase card. He has started a new thread in the related forum that the CU is withholding his fund and only would return it when he is in person. He is in CA, the CU is in MI fwiw.

You can read the saga here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...nt-please.html
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:02 pm

I don't know for certain, but I would think so. They've closed a lot of us down for legitimate charges, so something like yours will alert them I bet.

By the way, I'm curious what bank allowed you to fund a deposit with a CC? It's off-topic, so you can PM me if you don't mind answering. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:23 pm

I don't mind divulging but I'll do so by PM for obvious reasons; there may still be eligible members in state looking to take advantage of the opportunity.

The transaction coded as a purchase and the points are still reflected in my next statement's UR balance. The CU has since issued a refund to my card, which will likely deplete whatever points were earned (minus the couple of hundred I was able to withdraw by debit) when that posts. It's pretty clear that Chase considers this MS since all of my accounts were closed without warning; I can't think of any other reasoning.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:16 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by cheaptom
If you didn't discover Chase's unreasonableness until 2017, consider yourself lucky. Many of us have been hit with Chase's odd and inconsistent business model for years.
My thinking is based on the following:

1) many people here max out Ink cards for 5x categories and alive. Chase is obviously loosing money on that. Plus it is clear MS and abuse. In my case MS was only 1-2 transactions with the ocean of legitimate everyday purchases. Plus earning was 1 mile per $1. Chase didn't loose any money on it. Moreover, they earned enough from swipes. Also, there were no abuse.

2) CL was never recycled, total charges for 4 months were ~ $18K in total, small percentage of annual income.

So, even the card was used for gift card purchases, there is no real damage for the bank. The only thing I can see that I paid my balance twice per month to bring it very low amount. But all payments were made from linking banking account.

Therefore, I think that currently Chase is quite unreasonable. It seems after they got fined by government, they become crazy.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Isn't that the major reason cited in the latest closure report in OliverB's case? He funded a 20K opening balance at a CU thousands miles away with his Chase card. He has started a new thread in the related forum that the CU is withholding his fund and only would return it when he is in person. He is in CA, the CU is in MI fwiw.

You can read the saga here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...nt-please.html
I missed where he deposited $20k. I was only going to do $1k, but I won't if it will set off flags.
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I don't know for certain, but I would think so. They've closed a lot of us down for legitimate charges, so something like yours will alert them I bet.

By the way, I'm curious what bank allowed you to fund a deposit with a CC? It's off-topic, so you can PM me if you don't mind answering. Thanks.
There are many.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-f...-cash-advance/
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:27 pm

What about something like buying Target GCs from Cardpool or GCzen? They're not Visa/MC prepaids, but they are gift cards.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:54 pm

I missed where he deposited $20k. I was only going to do $1k, but I won't if it will set off flags.

1K should be fine, so long as you're putting regular spend on the card and this transaction activity isn't frequent and monthly. Perhaps someone could cross-check the T&Cs re. bank deposits? I would surmise that so long as the deposit could be considered "legitimate" activity, then it should not be a problem. 20K from cc to bank surely doesn't seem like legitimate activity, hence the shutdown. I've done up to 5K on old cards (Sapphire Preferred) which I no longer carry, and I've never had any problems as it's always been buried in monthly spend. Some of the credit unions I've opened accounts with in the past were in fact legitimate and I still bank with them. If your regular spend activity is more frequent and more prominent than these occasional 1-2K bank deposits, I wouldn't anticipate any issues; but of course, YMMV.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Maaan reading everyone stories got me really worried ... especially since I have few Chase cards myself ... and I do use them (mostly the CSR as of late)

I'm getting ready to book award tix for my SO and I with United. I read that some people had their account flagged for redeeming UR points for someone else but how about once I transferred the points to UA, would Chase cared if I redeemed flights for my SO and I? In fact, would they even find out what I did with the UA points after the transfer?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Maaan reading everyone stories got me really worried ... especially since I have few Chase cards myself ... and I do use them (mostly the CSR as of late)

I'm getting ready to book award tix for my SO and I with United. I read that some people had their account flagged for redeeming UR points for someone else but how about once I transferred the points to UA, would Chase cared if I redeemed flights for my SO and I? In fact, would they even find out what I did with the UA points after the transfer?
I have bought tickets for my wife, Gran daughter, and my self more than once on Chases website with UR's. I'm sure they don't care who you get tickets for from UA.
I have also used award tickets for another Gran daughter and her boy friend on the UA site.
I think what caused trouble was people selling tickets and UR's. Which is a definite no no.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
I have bought tickets for my wife, Gran daughter, and my self more than once on Chases website with UR's. I'm sure they don't care who you get tickets for from UA.
I have also used award tickets for another Gran daughter and her boy friend on the UA site.
I think what caused trouble was people selling tickets and UR's. Which is a definite no no.
Thank you ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.