Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RJ5929
...He said I was approved for a total of 13 cards this year and it was real concern for them that I opened so many cards and there is not much spending/history on the new cards

My question:
How long should I wait for another Chase app?
I don't plan to use these new chase cards at all, so they will not have any history of spending for next 1 year. Should I rather close them now and open the credit line in 6 months?
First of all, hang up and call again. Each rep is YMMV.

I was given advice here to put some spend on each of my Chase cards to make Chase happy. So I spent a few bucks on each card each month. After 3 months, I was instantly approved for 2 cards, whereas my previous application before the spend strategy was not instantly approved. I can't say for sure the spend helped, but I think it's likely and will keep it up.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by bman3241
After reviewing this thread I'm assuming everyone thinks the additional 10K or 15K points (with an AU) is worth the additional $30 of the new offer compared to the old 40K/$95 offer correct?
UR points are worth 3+ CPP (cents per point) if you use them right. 15K = $450. Well worth the $30.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
This offer is the one at Chase.com now. I wonder if this is the new main offer.

If that is the truth, then the people who got the 40k offer with the $95 fee may have gotten the deal. If the card with the $125 fee is indeed a new product, then you can get your 40k bonus and then apply for and get the 50k bonus in the future. Double dipping.

There is at least one or maybe more people on this board that have gotten a CSP Visa in the past, and got this card as a new product. I hope they follow up and post about whether they got the bonus or not.

With Chase, it does not necessarily matter what a customer service rep promises. They have a history of issuing the new card with the rep confirming the bonus for a current/former cardholder of the same brand card when it is approved, and then Chase corporate refusing to honor the bonus offer later when the spending requirement is achieved.

My $0.02.
If they are indeed different products then conversely, if you get the 55K offer now, you can get the 40K offer later (if still around), yeah?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:31 am

Anybody have any experience with personal referrals through the Chase "refer a friend" program being able to get the 50k offer? It defaults to 40k after $3k spend with $95 fee waived, and doesn't seem to offer any bonus for adding an AU.

I'd like to think the person being referred could SM Chase and get bumped up to the 50k offer, but want to see if anyone's had any luck before testing it out.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
After reviewing this thread I'm assuming everyone thinks the additional 10K or 15K points (with an AU) is worth the additional $30 of the new offer compared to the old 40K/$95 offer correct?
IMO, absolutely.

I'm assuming the annual fee is on a rolling 12 month basis vs calendar year basis, so is there any benefit to me either getting the card in December 2013 or waiting until early 2014?
Yes, the AF is charged on a rolling 12 month basis. If you plan to keep the card forever, and pay the AF, it doesn't really matter when you apply. If you plan to either cancel or downgrade the card to avoid the AF, January is the best time to apply since the 7% annual dividend is paid on a calendar year basis on your January or February statement. If you applied right now, it might not be enough time to recoup the AF after your 7% bonus hits.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by d0t3hchacha
I'd like to think the person being referred could SM Chase and get bumped up to the 50k offer, but want to see if anyone's had any luck before testing it out.
I can't recall ever seeing someone with the 40k+5k offer getting bumped to the 50k+5k offer, since the AF is different.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:04 am

[\QUOTE]Yes, the AF is charged on a rolling 12 month basis. If you plan to keep the card forever, and pay the AF, it doesn't really matter when you apply. If you plan to either cancel or downgrade the card to avoid the AF, January is the best time to apply since the 7% annual dividend is paid on a calendar year basis on your January or February statement. If you applied right now, it might not be enough time to recoup the AF after your 7% bonus hits.[/QUOTE]

While I do agree with this, one other thing to think about is if you want to get 2 7% annual dividends. If you apply now, and can finish minimum spending before your first statement closes, there is a decent chance you would get the 7% annual dividend that includes the 50k bonus pts (i.e. 7% of 50000 = 3500 pts) in February of 2014. If you wait until Jan 2014 to apply, you wouldn't get the bonus pts until sometime in Feb 2014 at best, and then your annual dividend in 2014 wouldn't include this extra 3500 (however, you would most likely get it in Feb 2015).

That's all predicated on the 50k bonus counting in the annual dividend. Chase says it doesn't, however myself and others have seen it counted.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by MilesGator
While I do agree with this, one other thing to think about is if you want to get 2 7% annual dividends. If you apply now, and can finish minimum spending before your first statement closes, there is a decent chance you would get the 7% annual dividend that includes the 50k bonus pts (i.e. 7% of 50000 = 3500 pts) in February of 2014. If you wait until Jan 2014 to apply, you wouldn't get the bonus pts until sometime in Feb 2014 at best, and then your annual dividend in 2014 wouldn't include this extra 3500 (however, you would most likely get it in Feb 2015).

That's all predicated on the 50k bonus counting in the annual dividend. Chase says it doesn't, however myself and others have seen it counted.
I suspect that anyone who applies right now won't get their first statement until January though, although perhaps you can call a CSR and try to get a statement sooner. You'd have to apply and get approved in November to be safe and get your first statement in December. Then as a year passes you'd get your AF charged the next November, and could very well have to wait 60+ days to get your 7% dividend in February, meaning you won't be able to cancel for a full AF refund.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator
Yes, the AF is charged on a rolling 12 month basis. If you plan to keep the card forever, and pay the AF, it doesn't really matter when you apply. If you plan to either cancel or downgrade the card to avoid the AF, January is the best time to apply since the 7% annual dividend is paid on a calendar year basis on your January or February statement. If you applied right now, it might not be enough time to recoup the AF after your 7% bonus hits.

Originally Posted by bribro
I suspect that anyone who applies right now won't get their first statement until January though, although perhaps you can call a CSR and try to get a statement sooner. You'd have to apply and get approved in November to be safe and get your first statement in December. Then as a year passes you'd get your AF charged the next November, and could very well have to wait 60+ days to get your 7% dividend in February, meaning you won't be able to cancel for a full AF refund.
Thanks guys for the tip. My first statement closes on Dec 23 so I'm going to try to meet the spend by then!

Is getting 7% on the sign up bonus consistent or YMMV?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:29 am

I first applied for CSP in July 2009 ($95 annual fee/25k bonus). Cancelled it probably a year after.

I applied for this 50k/$125 annual fee CSP last month. I've met the spending requirement just a day or two before the statement closed. I didn't get the 50k signup points in that statement.

I sent Chase a secure message asking about it, and their reply confirmed that I will be getting the first use bonus on the next statement.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
Is getting 7% on the sign up bonus consistent or YMMV?
Anecdotally, it seems that more people get it than not. I got it last year. I'll report back if I get it again in a few months (I applied for the MC CSP, hence the 2nd sign-up bonus).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 pm

Not sure if this has been postulated, but maybe the higher bonus (and the fact it's now the official offer from Chase) is a response to the UA/SW/Hyatt/other devaluations?

I just reviewed the UA deval again. Ouch. It's bad even in some Y spots.

Last edited by italdesign; Dec 11, 2013 at 4:01 pm
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Not sure if this has been postulated, but maybe the higher bonus (and the fact it's now the official offer from Chase) is a response to the UA/SW/Hyatt/other devaluations?

I just reviewed the UA deval again. Ouch. It's bad even in some Y spots.
More than likely yes, otherwise we have to imaging that this new off just happened to be right after the devaluation
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:06 pm

seems like 50k offer is gone. link redirects to 40k offer
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:56 pm

Looks like this is dead, what gives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.