Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS Club, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It's widely known now NOT to call in if your app goes pending with any chase cards, it has been reported that people with high credit scores have been denied cards for calling in and asking what is up with thier apps. So just wait it out.
Update: Just saw the new account on my Chase Accounts page. :-)
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by chandu2013
Nice! ^

Thinking of taking the plunge and applying. Have not had this card before and seems like a useful card to have.

Cheers!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:44 pm

Does your account in any way show the bonus offer? (I think) I read at some places in thread that it does show up online. Wiki does not list any such tracker (like nice one we have for Citi AA card ).

Cheers!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:53 pm

Just applied with the old 50k offer link with no annual fee. Went into pending:

"Thank you for applying. Your application requires further review before making a decision."

Now just going to wait until I get a response. *fingers crossed*
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Just applied through 50K link. Was denied to due not meeting bonus 24 month requirements; the CSR said they counted from the last 25K.

Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpen1827
Just applied through 50K link. Was denied to due not meeting bonus 24 month requirements; the CSR said they counted from the last 25K.

Do you mean being denied for the card or being told CSR about not eligible for the bonus?

Absolutely not true as what the CSR told you about the 25K - those are Spend Bonus and has no bearing in the 24 months rule.

Go back a few months on this thread you will find only the 50K Welcome bonus is subj to the 24 months rule.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Do you mean being denied for the card or being told CSR about not eligible for the bonus?

Absolutely not true as what the CSR told you about the 25K - those are Spend Bonus and has no bearing in the 24 months rule.

Go back a few months on this thread you will find only the 50K Welcome bonus is subj to the 24 months rule.
I sure hope so, but she mentioned I was denied. I have read and posted in this thread before, and I'm still a bit skeptical having received a datapoint contrary to other FT members.

The 50K posted in my avios account on 2/19/14, 25K on 6/19/14, and the final 25K on 7/22/14. She mentioned that I would only be eligible for this card and attached bonus after 5/19/14.

I'll be waiting for the denial letter.

This really sucks as the BA card is the one card I really want to have again before the rumored 5/24 rules kick in.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sure hope so, but she mentioned I was denied. I have read and posted in this thread before, and I'm still a bit skeptical having received a datapoint contrary to other FT members.

The 50K posted in my avios account on 2/19/14, 25K on 6/19/14, and the final 25K on 7/22/14. She mentioned that I would only be eligible for this card and attached bonus after 5/19/14.

I'll be waiting for the denial letter.

This really sucks as the BA card is the one card I really want to have again before the rumored 5/24 rules kick in.
Chase does not deny a card if you pass the muster of creditworthy. It will still issue you a card but NOT the bonus if you are not eligible for the bonus.
She is definitely wrong to use this as a denial reason for APPROVING A CARD.

For you to be eligible for a second 50K bonus, your application has to be later than 2/19/2016 as your earned the 50K on 2/19/2014. However that does not come in play whether you could be approved for another BA card or not as long as you dont currently own a BA card, and you pass Chase criteria for creditworthiness check.

Like several precedent cases, we got our 50K bonuses without any fanfare. Our prior 50Ks were earned longer than 24 months ago despite our 1st and only 25K was earned less than 24 months ago from Dec 2015 when we applied our BA cards. The 50K posted automatically. We are on track to earn our first 25K this March.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:15 pm

Chase does not deny a card if you pass the muster of creditworthy. It will still issue you a card but NOT the bonus if you are not eligible for the bonus.
She is definitely wrong to use this as a denial reason for APPROVING A CARD.

For you to be eligible for a second 50K bonus, your application has to be later than 2/19/2016 as your earned the 50K on 2/19/2014. However that does not come in play whether you could be approved for another BA card or not as long as you dont currently own a BA card, and you pass Chase criteria for creditworthiness check.

Like several precedent cases, we got our 50K bonuses without any fanfare. Our prior 50Ks were earned longer than 24 months ago despite our 1st and only 25K was earned less than 24 months ago from Dec 2015 when we applied our BA cards. The 50K posted automatically. We are on track to earn our first 25K this March.
Thanks for the info; it's likely another case of incompetent CSRs then.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:51 pm

Save yourself the trouble & read the wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html, which links to data points on this issue.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:27 am

DP:

- Applied using the link in the Wiki, got instant approval!
- On call, confirmed with CSR about AF and bonus. Both points were favorable, so I believe I am good.

Cheers!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:52 pm

The same happened to me yesterday. I escalated the call to a supervisor and she was crystal clear to me. Chase changed recently their policy regarding this card and they ate now counting the last "premium" received irrespective of whether it is a sign-up bonus or spending bonus. So the 25,000 avios are being counted for the 24 months.
I pushed back but no way to change it. I complained not to be informed, etc. No way. The worst thing is that I'd have to wait until late May and probably be denied then due to the 5/24 rule...
Just another data point that Chase has gotten stricter on this card.
Also I used a different FFN and address but Chase systems must have been strengthened as I was automatically declined with no hard pull.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by germanpaul
The same happened to me yesterday. I escalated the call to a supervisor and she was crystal clear to me. Chase changed recently their policy regarding this card and they ate now counting the last "premium" received irrespective of whether it is a sign-up bonus or spending bonus. So the 25,000 avios are being counted for the 24 months.
I pushed back but no way to change it. I complained not to be informed, etc. No way. The worst thing is that I'd have to wait until late May and probably be denied then due to the 5/24 rule...
Just another data point that Chase has gotten stricter on this card.
Also I used a different FFN and address but Chase systems must have been strengthened as I was automatically declined with no hard pull.
Damn. Now it's real. I was also told I wasn't pulled. Still waiting on snail mail rejection.

Edit: Found mail when I got home. Photo attached.

Last edited by gpen1827; Mar 8, 2016 at 2:40 am
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:33 am

chandu2013: Congratulations!!

If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply? How long did it take? I app'd for the BA Chase on 2/17 and still pending and getting the 30 day message!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:14 am

Here's a strange (but fortuitous) thing that happened to me.

I got my Chase BA card in January 2014, I believe. Got the last 25K Avios of the 100K spend bonus on June 2014. I've been thinking about canceling the card lately since the 24 month time span from earning the bonus is getting close (I'm assuming the 24 months is from the date of earning the bonus and not closing of the account -- maybe I misunderstood).

I've been redeeming my wife's Avios lately for our flights so I haven't checked my BA account in a while. To my complete surprise, I noticed 50K Avios credited to my account in December and then another 25K in January and 25K more in February. I have no idea where these Avios came from. The transaction history shows them as "BA VISA BONUS AVIOS."

Any ideas how this happened? Should I be worried about the bonus Avios getting removed from my account? I checked my Chase statements and don't see any mention of these bonuses at all.

Last edited by JTravers; Mar 17, 2016 at 3:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.