Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What qualifies as a "restaurant" for the Q2 2014 bonus?

From the Freedom website:
Merchants in the Restaurants category are merchants whose primary business is sit-down or eat-in dining, including fast food restaurants as well as fine dining establishments. Please note that some merchants that sell food and drinks located within larger merchants that sell other goods or services may not be included in this category; for example, sports stadium concessions and department store cafeterias.
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom 5% Merchant Categories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tdb27
Overall pretty good although very heavy on the gas stations which to me personally isn't that impressive since there are a lot of other cards which favor gas stations, I liked having the Freedom for other categories. Still, the Q2 restaurants and Q4 Amazon.com are going to get maxed out. Interesting no supermarkets or drugstores this quarter… maybe too much like the competition or too many Vanilla Reloads at CVS.
For me there are gas stations that sell Beans that take CC's so I'm loving it.. A easy 15,000 UR points for me...
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: BA
Q3 is like basically catering to suburbia. Useless for anyone living in cities.

I can see why a lot of people would love having gas stations twice, but I hate it.

And Kohl's is a joke lol.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
No drugstores and grocery stores make next years categories suck. No beans or Visa/MC GCs at the stores on the list. Gotta hand it to Chase though, they'll be giving out way less points this way. They're pretty smart, once they clued in to the Office Depot bonanza!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wiivile
Q3 is like basically catering to suburbia. Useless for anyone living in cities.

I can see why a lot of people would love having gas stations twice, but I hate it.

And Kohl's is a joke lol.
Because there are gas station that sell beans that take CC... BTW, Kohls is an easy way of making UR points
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Because there are gas station that sell beans that take CC... BTW, Kohls is an easy way of making UR points
I'm new to the game. What's the best way to make UR points at Kohl's?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
The bonus categories for 14 are almost as bad as Discover's.

At least I can stock up on gift cards at Lowe's.

I liked the q4 charitable category they had a few years ago. Stacked with the Delta charity MQM offer they had that same December was great.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BooG690
I'm new to the game. What's the best way to make UR points at Kohl's?
Use your chase CC and go through the UP portal and buy stuff that way, you will get 10 points per dollar.

Now, I got to ask this question, so your first point EVER on FT, and you pick this subject to post in, why? With your question you asked, had to be answered in the Chase UR forum.... Just been wondering this with first posters...
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The bonus categories for 14 are almost as bad as Discover's.

At least I can stock up on gift cards at Lowe's.

I liked the q4 charitable category they had a few years ago. Stacked with the Delta charity MQM offer they had that same December was great.
I don't think so, I'll get an easy 20K it has taken me a while to figure it all out...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Now, I got to ask this question, so your first point EVER on FT, and you pick this subject to post in, why? With your question you asked, had to be answered in the Chase UR forum.... Just been wondering this with first posters...
With you saying Kohl's is an easy way to earn UR points, I assumed you meant there was some GC or something I was missing. I've read posts and most point to buying GCs at gas stations, drug stores, sometimes Lowe's, etc. However, I've never seen a GC as Kohl's and I've never read of any easy way of churning points out at Kohl's. I assumed maybe I missed something.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:55 am

You can't MS at Kohls, unless you buy and sell merch. Frequent Miler goes into depth about buying merch for points at Kohls. check out his post here . To the earlier poster saying he could get 15% off on amazon gift cards, its been blogged but buying gc with gc is not a gaurunteed thing.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
I don't know why Chase has a love affair listing Kohl's as a "category," though they issue the Kohl's store card so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Is this the ok??

Q1: (Hope the gas station sells VGC or beans (I assume VR is a bean)
Gas stations
Movie theaters
StarbucksŪ stores

Q2: (Use Freedom Instead of CSP for restaurants, and buy VGC at lowes and load BB)
Restaurants
Lowe'sŪ home improvement stores

Q3: (Hope the gas station sells VGC or beans)

Gas stations
Kohl'sŪ

Q4: (Buy gift cards at amazon, and use them for gifts in 2015)
Amazon.com
Zappos.com
Select Department stores

I have a Safeway that has a gas station by me, does anyone know how those list? Maybe I can just grocery shop there or get VGC and hit the $1500 limit for q1 and q3.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BooG690
With you saying Kohl's is an easy way to earn UR points, I assumed you meant there was some GC or something I was missing. I've read posts and most point to buying GCs at gas stations, drug stores, sometimes Lowe's, etc. However, I've never seen a GC as Kohl's and I've never read of any easy way of churning points out at Kohl's. I assumed maybe I missed something.
It's simple, we all need clothes, one way to get double dip is buying a Kohls GC through the Chase UR Portal which will earn 10 points/dollar, once you get your GC, then go back through the UR portal to Kohls web site and get 10 points/dollar. It's very simple, we all need clothes and the GC are great for gifts.....
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ac921ol
I have a Safeway that has a gas station by me, does anyone know how those list? Maybe I can just grocery shop there or get VGC and hit the $1500 limit for q1 and q3.
they list as gas stations. No VGC at those gas station... I'll give you a HINT stop thinking small in your gas stations....... I believe most convenience stores that have gas station will code as gas stations. You need to play with this, this is all part of the game.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:27 am

chase freedom cash back ?

Is the 5% cash back for this quarter only for certain online shopping sites ? If I shop at a airline shopping portal.. like United's shopping portal mielage plus shopping . com , would I earn 5 % when i purchase from there ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.