Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What qualifies as a "restaurant" for the Q2 2014 bonus?

From the Freedom website:
Merchants in the Restaurants category are merchants whose primary business is sit-down or eat-in dining, including fast food restaurants as well as fine dining establishments. Please note that some merchants that sell food and drinks located within larger merchants that sell other goods or services may not be included in this category; for example, sports stadium concessions and department store cafeterias.
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom 5% Merchant Categories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It was one person who had the issue, and as the blogger responded with, they haven't had problems buying GC with a CC. IF a clerk says that, ask to speak to a MOD (Manager of the day.) I'm looking forward to this as I have a nice project home to finish and Lowes is right down the street.
I've read it on several other forums on blogs, I just didn't have the time to dig up the links. Sorry. But it's not like it's just this one person who has been unable to purchase gift cards with a credit card. As I said above, I'm sure the policy varies from store-to-store, with the majority of stores allowing credit card purchases.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:39 pm

OT, but where are everyone's account # on the Freedom? The front or back (like the Sapphire's)?.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
OT, but where are everyone's account # on the Freedom? The front or back (like the Sapphire's)?.
Front. Embossed like a regular plastic credit card.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:14 am

hi guys, i haven't maxed my 1500 for q1...and i need too.
does buying a shell gas card at shell gas station considered a 5x category or does the gas have to be pumped ? was just curious, never bought gcs at gas station so need the experts on this

thanks,
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
hi guys, i haven't maxed my 1500 for q1...and i need too.
does buying a shell gas card at shell gas station considered a 5x category or does the gas have to be pumped ? was just curious, never bought gcs at gas station so need the experts on this

thanks,
Gift cards got me the bonus at Exxon.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by BooG690
Gift cards got me the bonus at Exxon.
what about actual gas cards at a gas station? any other comments?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Are points typically categorized the same between the CSP and Freedom, as far as merchant categories?

I'm getting married in 2 weeks, and I went back and checked the venue we're using from the deposit charge on my CSP ~9 months ago, and I thought it was Travel. Turns out, it's Restaurants. If I put $1500 on my Freedom and the rest on my CSP, it should (in theory) parse the same way, right? Final payment is due today, and I'd love to pull in 7500 instead of 3000 on that first $1500.

I also have a 5x Forward...so I'm tempted to rake in the points over there, but I have more TY points that I can use.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:26 am

extra 5% boost via UR

Hi all,

somewhat of a noob at MS. i just got the freedom card and had a couple questions...

1. if i go thru the UR portal to get the extra 5% bonus at Lowe's and buy physical gift cards, will i still get the total of 10% CB? can i then use those Lowes gift cards to go in store and buy other retailer gift cards (i.e. amazon)?

2. if instead of the above, can i buy merchandise via the UR portal and select "pick up in store" and then go to the store and just exchange it for Amazon gift cards, will I still get the total 10% CB? or will they actually ring it up as a return and new purchase (thus invalidating the extra UR portal 5%)

thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:11 pm

Most exchanges will ring up as Return/buy unless it truly is the same item. Gift cards requires activation, so they must ring up a purchase.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Most exchanges will ring up as Return/buy unless it truly is the same item. Gift cards requires activation, so they must ring up a purchase.
ahh thanks. i figured as much. do you know about buying amazon (or other) gift cards with lowes gift cards?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jukaks
ahh thanks. i figured as much. do you know about buying amazon (or other) gift cards with lowes gift cards?
How much in Amazon gift cards do you want to buy? If your freedom card is enrolled in the q2 bonus category, you can purchase amazon gift cards up to $1,500 a Lowe's and get the 5% back. If you have a discover card, Lowe's is also a Discover 5% cash back bonus q2 merchant and you can do the same with that card.

If you have an Am Ex card, I would check their homepage for eligible promos you can ad to your card. They had a promo of $10 off any $50 purchase at Lowe's so that's like saving 20% at Amazon if you buy a $50 amazon gift card there.

I only use this card at lowe's for gift cards. If I need to make a regular lowe's purchase their credit card always gives 5% off any size purchase.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How much in Amazon gift cards do you want to buy? If your freedom card is enrolled in the q2 bonus category, you can purchase amazon gift cards up to $1,500 a Lowe's and get the 5% back. If you have a discover card, Lowe's is also a Discover 5% cash back bonus q2 merchant and you can do the same with that card.

yes, i know. i have the freedom card in the bonus category. my question is about the EXTRA 5% that you get by going thru the ultimate rewards mall. i.e. can i do this:

1. Login to UR mall
2. click to go to the Lowes website.
3. Buy Physical Gift Cards from Lowe's and have them shipped to me.
4. Receive 10% cash back (5% from Lowes Q2 category bonus + 5% bonus from UR online mall)
5. Take those Lowe's gift cards and go to a brick and mortar store
6. purchase Amazon gift cards and pay with the Lowe's gift cards.
7. Keep the afore-mentioned 10% cash back.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Have you looked at the terms published on ultimaterewards.com?

Lowe's Terms & Conditions
Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents. Any return, exchange or other adjustment made at a physical store location for an on-line purchase may result in your purchase being deemed ineligible for reward.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jukaks
yes, i know. i have the freedom card in the bonus category. my question is about the EXTRA 5% that you get by going thru the ultimate rewards mall. i.e. can i do this:

1. Login to UR mall
2. click to go to the Lowes website.
3. Buy Physical Gift Cards from Lowe's and have them shipped to me.
4. Receive 10% cash back (5% from Lowes Q2 category bonus + 5% bonus from UR online mall)
5. Take those Lowe's gift cards and go to a brick and mortar store
6. purchase Amazon gift cards and pay with the Lowe's gift cards.
7. Keep the afore-mentioned 10% cash back.
You don't get the 5% from UR on gift card purchases.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Have you looked at the terms published on ultimaterewards.com?

yes, but searching the interwebs shows there are alot of reports that it works anyway for physical gift cards but not e-gift cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.