Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What qualifies as a "restaurant" for the Q2 2014 bonus?

From the Freedom website:
Merchants in the Restaurants category are merchants whose primary business is sit-down or eat-in dining, including fast food restaurants as well as fine dining establishments. Please note that some merchants that sell food and drinks located within larger merchants that sell other goods or services may not be included in this category; for example, sports stadium concessions and department store cafeterias.
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom 5% Merchant Categories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by agb1a
... If I shop at a airline shopping portal.. like United's shopping portal mielage plus shopping . com , would I earn 5 % when i purchase from there ?
From which merchant(s) do you intend to order? The 5 points applies only to the specified categories, and only if you activate the bonus.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I think you might be mixing up extra UR points via the UR mall and the 5% bonus categories for Chase Freedom. The 5% bonus categories are earned for eligible spend during that quarter. You just have to active the 5% back once per quarter, and then any eligible spend at stores or online will receive the bonus UR points.

The UR portal is completely separate, you go to that website first, and select the merchant you want, completing the transaction through that website is the only way to get the UR portal extra points.

You can double dip by using the UR portal to access an eligible 5% category merchant. For example, this quarter Macys is a 5% bonus on Freedom, so you can go to the UR portal, sign in, then use your Freedom card and double dip. The points will post separately, you will get an email confirming your UR bonus points after a few days, and you'll see the Freedom bonus on your next billing statement.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:52 pm

i regularly go to grocery stores= supermarket to buy food and also visit drugstores. I don't visit khols or lowes & not starbucks everyday. Wish Chase knew this
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:54 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
iWish Chase knew this
They do, and they have adjusted their promotional strategy to keep their card in our wallets at minimal expense. I suspect that when the bonus "category" is a specific merchant, such as Kohls or Amazon, the merchant may bear part of the expense of the bonus points.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:23 pm

What qualifies as a gas station purchase for Chase Freedom?

We all know that the next quarter 5% bonus for Chase Freedom is going to be Gas, Starbucks. So what exactly qualifies as a gas station purchase? If I get something from 7-11 which is inside a gas station will that qualify as a gas purchase for 5%? The transaction posts as "7-ELEVEN". Is this enough for Chase to approve the 5%. Of course, I know there is a whole world of things to purchase from Gas cards, Vanilla reloads (If credit card purchases are allowed that is)...

How do you generally take advantage of the gas quarter? Any more tips?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:41 am

which online merchants activate the 5 % cash back this quarter ? I only know of Amazon . If I buy from apple.com for instance or macmall would I also get 5 % cash back this quarter ?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:48 am
mia

Originally Posted by agb1a
. If I buy from apple.com for instance or macmall would I also get 5 % cash back this quarter ?
No. It is now too late to activate the bonus for the 4th quarter of 2013, because the 2014 calendar has been posted and the first quarter activation link is here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/activate

If you have already activated the 2013 fourth quarter bonus you should have received an email confirming the categories which were Amazon.com and Department stores. Neither apple.com nor macmall.com is a department store.

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
... what exactly qualifies as a gas station purchase?
Qualification is determined by the merchant's code, not by the description which appears on the statement, nor by the specific merchandise or service purchased.

Read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-database.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...us-7-11-a.html

Last edited by mia; Dec 16, 2013 at 7:57 am
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by rampartmovie
How do you generally take advantage of the gas quarter? Any more tips?
Anecdotally, all my purchases from 7-Eleven, even at standalone stores, have coded as gas stations for me.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by bribro
Anecdotally, all my purchases from 7-Eleven, even at standalone stores, have coded as gas stations for me.
It looks that way but you will not receive 2x points on your statement. Try doing the math and look at your actual statement. Stand alone 7-11 stores do not earn 2x points. in my experiance anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by flowfaster
It looks that way but you will not receive 2x points on your statement. Try doing the math and look at your actual statement. Stand alone 7-11 stores do not earn 2x points. in my experiance anyway.
Except, I did. Like I said, all 7-Eleven purchases for me have coded as gas stations (in the Bay Area at five different locations). And yes, I checked my statements; I got the 2x points on Ink and the 5x on Freedom (when gas stations were a 5x category). And it worked on MC and Visa cards.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Chase Freedom 5% Merchant Categories

Last quarter, 7-11 purchases made in store came in as 5x, but it depends on the 7-11. If it sells gas (mine does), it's coded as a gas station. If it does not, it usually is coded as a grocery purchase.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
From the Amex promo, I found third party gift cards at Kohls. There is a display near the check outs with the usual assortment of Restaurants and home improvement stores.

JudyJFLA
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards
I've contacted 2 different Chase CSR's and both of them stated that the 5% is gas only. I've heard people combining their gas with a purchase inside the convenience store and that goes though.

Can anyone here confirm this? Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by rideride2
I've contacted 2 different Chase CSR's and both of them stated that the 5% is gas only. I've heard people combining their gas with a purchase inside the convenience store and that goes though.

Can anyone here confirm this? Thanks!
All my 7/11 purchases in the past (including 7/11s not connected to a gas station) have coded as gas purchases, but YMMV.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
All my 7/11 purchases in the past (including 7/11s not connected to a gas station) have coded as gas purchases, but YMMV.
+1

My in-store purchases worked at Hess and 7/11, and at a 7/11 without a gas pump. Besides, the promotion says "gas stations" not gas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.