Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What qualifies as a "restaurant" for the Q2 2014 bonus?

From the Freedom website:
Merchants in the Restaurants category are merchants whose primary business is sit-down or eat-in dining, including fast food restaurants as well as fine dining establishments. Please note that some merchants that sell food and drinks located within larger merchants that sell other goods or services may not be included in this category; for example, sports stadium concessions and department store cafeterias.
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom 5% Merchant Categories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:34 pm

Since 7-11 doesn't allow CC for VR purchases anymore, any ideas how to max out this quarter?

I hardly fill $150 gas a month and also 7-11's is too expensive. For gas, I'm better off at Costco.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by rrgg
+1

My in-store purchases worked at Hess and 7/11, and at a 7/11 without a gas pump. Besides, the promotion says "gas stations" not gas.
That's what I had figured but didn't know for sure. I thought it was weird that two different CSR's would say gas only.

I just spent $1,500 at Superamerica today on VR's if anyone is in the midwest with a Freedom. I'll confirm when I get my statement and see if they were 5%.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Just got the Freedom card with the $200 bonus (yay!), and looked, but is there a way to see how much of the $1,500 I've hit during a quarter? Once I hit $1,500 of gas I'm going to move on to my PenFed card.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Just got the Freedom card with the $200 bonus (yay!), and looked, but is there a way to see how much of the $1,500 I've hit during a quarter? Once I hit $1,500 of gas I'm going to move on to my PenFed card.
Blueprint.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Blueprint goes by statement dates though, so not exact (unless your statement date is on the 1st). You can use something like Mint.com and/or spreadsheets, or just call/SM Chase and ask.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Do a weekly check on long under "activity".
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Since 7-11 doesn't allow CC for VR purchases anymore, any ideas how to max out this quarter?

I hardly fill $150 gas a month and also 7-11's is too expensive. For gas, I'm better off at Costco.
Look at the VR web page and see what places are close to you that sell VR in gas stations. BTW, some gas stations sell Visa GC too. I believe that Travel America's and Love's are two big truck stop companies and they sell Visa GC and they should be counted as gas stations.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Does anyone know what other types of gift cards 7-11 sells? Do they typically stock Amazon or iTunes cards?

I'm just trying to find any gas station that might sell Amazon gift cards. I went to a few today around Phoenix but had no luck.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Does anyone know what other types of gift cards 7-11 sells? Do they typically stock Amazon or iTunes cards?

I'm just trying to find any gas station that might sell Amazon gift cards. I went to a few today around Phoenix but had no luck.
There are gas stations that sell VR with a CC. They start with a V. I just bought 3 VR with my freedom card.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
There are gas stations that sell VR with a CC. They start with a V. I just bought 3 VR with my freedom card.
I called 5 7-elevens in my city and only one of them said they accept a CC. When I went there, CC didn't work on VR purchase. I can say with 110% certainty that 7-eleven has coded their system such that a CC won't work on VR purchase anymore.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVP
(1)I called 5 7-elevens in my city... (2)I can say with 110% certainty that 7-eleven has coded their system such that a CC won't work on VR purchase anymore.
1. Really?

2. YMMV. Obviously some 7-11 stores/stations (which may or may not say 7-11 anywhere besides the slurpee cups) are still working for some people in some cities with either VRs or VGCs.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I called 5 7-elevens in my city and only one of them said they accept a CC. When I went there, CC didn't work on VR purchase. I can say with 110% certainty that 7-eleven has coded their system such that a CC won't work on VR purchase anymore.
First rule.

DO. NOT. CALL.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:25 pm

First rule.

DO. NOT. CALL.
2nd rule: You do not talk about Fight Club.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Sigh...... DO NOT CALL, the clerks are usually busy and will say ANYTHING to get you off the phone, and second they may not know what you are talking about.

Also it has BEEN widely known that 7-11 registers are hard wired NOT to accept CC for VR's..
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
2nd rule: You do not talk about Fight Club.
This isn't true... Since there is a lot of misconception on why people are buying VR's, educating goes a long way. I just tell the clerks I collect FF miles, and this is one way of getting them. Now I don't get into detail on how I pay off my CC... Once I have done this, I have no problems...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.