Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What qualifies as a "restaurant" for the Q2 2014 bonus?

From the Freedom website:
Merchants in the Restaurants category are merchants whose primary business is sit-down or eat-in dining, including fast food restaurants as well as fine dining establishments. Please note that some merchants that sell food and drinks located within larger merchants that sell other goods or services may not be included in this category; for example, sports stadium concessions and department store cafeterias.
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom 5% Merchant Categories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Just got the Freedom card with the $200 bonus (yay!), and looked, but is there a way to see how much of the $1,500 I've hit during a quarter? Once I hit $1,500 of gas I'm going to move on to my PenFed card.
Same here. New Freedom card is in the mail. I may use for the other categories but gas is a big one for me. I too have PenFed card which I will use once I hit the $1500 limit.

I spend about $600 per month on gas....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pugsley21
Same here. New Freedom card is in the mail. I may use for the other categories but gas is a big one for me. I too have PenFed card which I will use once I hit the $1500 limit.

I spend about $600 per month on gas....
Damn, you have even me beat there.....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The question that was asked by Pain was not a "basic" question, each CC has a different way of showing what and how you spend on your CC. Now on the GoBank thread I'm a novice with that product and will ask "basic" questions until I understand what I am doing. The different between asking "basic" question and being spoon feed answers.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Jan 5, 2014 at 10:19 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The question that was asked by Pain was not a "basic" question, each CC has a different way of showing what and how you spend on your CC. Now on the GoBank thread I'm a novice with that product and will ask "basic" questions until I understand what I am doing. The different between asking "basic" question and being spoon feed answers.
GB is BB run by a shady company. All set? Good. ;-)

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Jan 5, 2014 at 10:19 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by bribro
Blueprint goes by statement dates though, so not exact (unless your statement date is on the 1st). You can use something like Mint.com and/or spreadsheets, or just call/SM Chase and ask.
Mint.com's categories don't always match up with Visa's categories.

Blueprint lists transactions and their categories during the current statement period as well, not just past statements.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I have deleted or edited several posts in this thread.

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the Flyertalk Guidelines & Rules, especially the section on Personal Attacks: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q87

This thread is specifically about "Chase Freedom 5% Merchant Categories". Address your posts in this thread specifically to that topic. Discussion of the personal motivations or technical prowess of individual posters belongs no where on FlyerTalk.

Here we inform each other in good faith and, when appropriate, debate the content of the ideas offered. If that is not what you're looking for, there are plenty of other outlets on the Internet for discussion of personality or motivation.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by augustus21
Mint.com's categories don't always match up with Visa's categories.

Blueprint lists transactions and their categories during the current statement period as well, not just past statements.
Yes, but the issue (and my point) is that Blueprint spending totals go by statement period, so you still have to check things manually for "stradle" statement dates like December/January and March/April. You can do this by going into Blueprint and breaking each spending category out by date and putting it into a spreadsheet. However, in my experience, Mint.com's categories match up 99%+ of the time so that's good enough for me.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:53 pm

Amazon and the Chase Freedom 5% rewards

Was reminded on one of the reward points blog that Dec 31, 2013 was the last day for the 5% rewards.

Purchased $200 in gift cards on Amazon (not Amazon's gift cards).

The transaction didn't show up at Chase until January 4, 2014 because that was the day the order was shipped.

Screwed!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by atexit8
Was reminded on one of the reward points blog that Dec 31, 2013 was the last day for the 5% rewards.

The transaction didn't show up at Chase until January 4, 2014 because that was the day the order was shipped.

Screwed!
Yeah, Amazon is never good for a time/deadline sensitive purchase. They adhere very strictly to the policy of not charging until it ships. They'll even charge you in several transactions if your large order ships in multiple stages.

In-store is the only 100% reliable way I've found yet. The charge hit that moment. Might show as pending in your online banking, but eventually it posts based on the transaction date.

Bummer! But you can make up that 1000 pts VERY easily. ;-)
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atexit8

Screwed!
I did the same thing, but received a e-mail from AMEX saying that I used their card on 12-31.. I fought them and won... I got my $25 statement credit.. Of course they tried the "shipment" date BS, but since I got the email that means my account was charged for those items.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:48 pm

Chase Freedom 2014 Categories: Q2 - Restaurants

This question might need to be moved to another thread, but I couldn't locate it... apologies for posting in the wrong place.

Had a question about the 5X restaurants bonus in Q2 for the Chase Freedom. Is their definition of "restaurants" more specific than the "dining" category used for Chase Sapphire? e.g. I get 2x when I go to a fast food restaurant or deli and use my Sapphire. Would I get 5x for those kinds of venues, or only restaurants?

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:55 am
Suspended

I saw something on their website that seemed to make it out to be as broad, even mentioning that fast food should qualify. Pretty much the primary purpose has to be prepared food, and nothing taken home to be prepped, which if I remember was pretty much the same as the CSP dining categories.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:08 am

Fast food absolutely counts (Freedom and CSP). Has for many years now...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:42 am

Good to know -- thanks for the information guys.

Any good ideas to generate MS on dining over the course of 3 months? I know some basics, but curious about some other ideas:
  • Going out to dinners with friends and take the bill while you take their cash/PayPal/Venmo
  • Restaurant/fast food gift cards

Any other ideas are appreciated!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Most bars and clubs I go to code as dining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.