Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by whereishome?
If I use cash (instead of Ultimate Rewards points) to book a hotel room, will I earn hotel points with that stay?
If you book through the Marriott link in the Ultimate Rewards Mall you will earn bonus UR points and receive the usual credit from Marriott. To do this:

1. Login to ultimaterewards.com
2. Click: Shop and Earn Extra Points > Travel > Hotels & Accommodations > Marriott.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by whereishome?
If I use cash (instead of Ultimate Rewards points) to book a hotel room, will I earn hotel points with that stay?

Thnx in advance, for what is likely a very novice question. I have been earning many UR points, but have yet to use them. Maybe now is the time, but I am also anxious to get the MegaBonus from Marriott.
I think OP means booking using the Book Travel redemption option and pay with cash instead of points. If so, no you won't get hotel points, just 3x UR points since that is actually a 3rd party booking agent (like hotels.com etc). At least that is what SPG told me. They said I could give them my rewards # and earn hotel points on incidentals while at the hotel tho.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
Guess I wasn't very clear. I understand that you can 1) use a credit card for a stay at Marriott by booking on UR website, or 2) you can transfer points from UR to Marriott - then book a stay. I was considering option ONE. But when I started going thru the process, it appeared as though it was going thru a 3rd party.

My purpose was to take advantage of Mariotts Megabonus promo of booking two stays and getting Marriott points.

My question is - will that work or not? As I look at the responses, I am still not sure as there seems to be a conflict from the various posters. Maybe my clarification on the question will help.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There are more than two options.

1. If you follow the steps in post #181 and book through the Marriott link in the Ultimate Rewards Mall you will end up on marriott.com and you will receive both a bonus from the mall -and- your usual credit from Marriott Rewards.

2. However, if you were to go to Ultimate Rewards > Travel > Flights, Hotels, Car Rentals you would be booking through a travel agency contracted with Chase, and Marriott probably will not credit you for the stay without regard to whether your pay with points or with money.

3. Likewise, if you transfer points to Marriott Rewards and redeem you will not earn points because this would be an award stay rather than a paid stay.

Last edited by mia; Feb 20, 2014 at 8:39 am
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
Thank you everyone; truly appreciate your assistance
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by mia
There are more than two options.

1. If you follow the steps in post #181 and book through the Marriott link in the Ultimate Rewards Mall you will end up on marriott.com and you will receive both a bonus from the mall -and- your usual credit from Marriott Rewards.

2. However, if you were to go to Ultimate Rewards > Travel > Flights, Hotels, Car Rentals you would be booking through a travel agency contracted with Chase, and Marriott probably will not credit you for the stay without regard to whether your pay with points or with money.

3. Likewise, if you transfer points to Marriott Rewards and redeem you will not earn points because this would be an award stay rather than a paid stay.
@whereishome, be careful though. I just booked a Marriott stay though method #2 (via my above quote) using a credit card (AKA cash, not points). It was about $200 cheaper booking through method #2 than method #1 (for exact same location and dates).

Yes, method #1 gives you 2x more points through credit card spend from the mall and additional hotel points for elite qualifying stay but, it is no where near $200 worth of savings!

So make sure you check both first. Always YMMV.

ETA: Although if you have Marriott Gold or higher, you may want to do method #1 because that way they can honor your elite status and you may qualify for an upgrade. Is it worth more than the potential loss of cash savings? Only you can tell.

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 3, 2014 at 12:32 am Reason: ETA & a typo on my ETA
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:20 am

delete

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 3, 2014 at 12:26 am Reason: delete
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
@whereishome, be careful though. I just booked a Marriott stay though method #2 (via my above quote) using a credit card (AKA cash, not points). It was about $200 cheaper booking through method #2 than method #1 (for exact same location and dates).

Yes, method #1 gives you 2x more points through credit card spend from the mall and additional hotel points for elite qualifying stay but, it is no where near $200 worth of savings!

So make sure you check both first. Always YMMV.

ETA: Although if you have Marriott Gold or higher, you may want to do method #1 because that way they can honor your elite status and you may qualify for an upgrade. Is is worth more than the potential loss of cash savings? Only you can tell.
Can one do the Look No Further best price guarantee claim with Marriott using the rate found on Method 2?

i.e. Book under Method 1, then file LNF claim with Marriott using the website Method 2 led to, that shows a much cheaper rate.

If Marriott approves the claim, you will get a 25% discount on the rate by Method 2, and the stay earns full credit with Marriott, Status, Points and Promo - it is qualifying stay.

The key is, if the site is accessible by Marriott rep. If not, then it would not work.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Can one do the Look No Further best price guarantee claim with Marriott using the rate found on Method 2?

i.e. Book under Method 1, then file LNF claim with Marriott using the website Method 2 led to, that shows a much cheaper rate.

If Marriott approves the claim, you will get a 25% discount on the rate by Method 2, and the stay earns full credit with Marriott, Status, Points and Promo - it is qualifying stay.

The key is, if the site is accessible by Marriott rep. If not, then it would not work.
Excellent point. It is definitely worth a try to call to see. It is intriguing to know if they can access UltimateRewards.com.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:13 pm

Question about booking a Flight/Hotel through UR. Please Help

hello everyone,

i am currently wanting to book a Flight & Hotel for 2 during the days 06/06/14-06/09/14 SFO-SJD (Cabo San Lucas). I am wanting to see what the best route for me to go is? From what i have been reading is to transfer my points to the UR Partners which works out as i am wanting to use UNITED & HYATT. However when i search on their personal website the point calculations appear to be higher than what i would have paid points/$ wise through UR. I could be doing it wrong for all i know Please assist me I am a newb looking for the best deal possible

Last edited by AP16; Mar 5, 2014 at 4:36 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
Thumbs up

Nice summary mia!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Once I get to Marriott.com, can I use my Chase Marriott CC to get both the +2x additional UR points and 5x Marriott points from Marriott?

Or, do I have to use a Chase UR card (like Ink Bold) to get the +2x additional UR points?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:36 pm

I saw this over at the "non-Chase card at UR mall" thread:

Originally Posted by pbnair
Told by CSP CSR. He checked to see transactions in my CSP, I said you won't find it there because I used my United Explorer card. He said then you won't get it because UR mall earnings are only available to UR earning cards like CSP or Freedom.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:33 am

Apologies if this has been asked before (I couldn't find the answer in a search), but I just booked a US Air flight through the Chase UR mall. I wasn't able to select seats during the booking process. I assume I'll have to wait until the trip confirmation comes through and I have a ticket number in order to pick my seat, but I figured I'd check with you all in the meantime. Am I right about that?

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I love to book through Ultimate Reward Travel using my points. I think it is a great value. I booked the Palazzo for four nights for 56000 points. This is alot better than transferring the points to IHG and trying to book a room. The rooms go for 50000 points per night. I have a question that I hope someone hear can answer. What is my best strategy for an upgrade? Can I call the hotel ahead of time and tell them that I am coming in and that I am an IHG platinum member and I am looking for an upgrade or should I wait until check in. I have used this at the hotel before but not sure if it will work since UR is really a travel agency. Trip is less than a week away. Thanks for any advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.