Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ejs621
My response was to a reward to Mauritius. The Maldives are the same amount of miles to redeem, taxes and fuel surcharges are equivalent. Also, now that BA flies directly from Gatwick you do not have to connect in the Middle East or some other third world country to get there. Transfer between LHR and GTW is 36 pounds roundtrip. BA also allows stopovers in each direction.

Cheers!
MRU isn't all that close to the Maldives, so I have to wonder about the comparison.

In any case, both redemptions are equivalent with respect to points/fees spent and annoyance factor (while the former doesn't entail an airport transfer, the connection times are about as bad as you could imagine).

If anyone wanted to go to either place from the US using BA miles, they'd come out FAR ahead by spending 100k miles to go to HKG (in J) and using actual money to purchase onward tickets (even when ignoring the value of the extra 80k miles BA requires to get you all the way there, the fee savings alone should be sufficient to pay for revenue tickets in Y, if not C).

If mrpickles is not aware of this calculus, he will be when it comes time to redeem.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I applied for the card when it became available and received on Wednesday this week. I got the same credit line I always get with Chase and getting ready to sign up the wife. Great deal and giving me a break fromt the Citi AA thing for a while.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by grandmaster b
Called on Thursday and was asked if I would reallocate my existing Chase lines of credit. Did so, but I have yet to see the card appear in my account's home page.

Also, the automated 800 line still says two weeks for a response. Is this typical after talking to their staff and then getting approved after the reallocation?
Same here....I am going to call back on Monday. The nice lady said they needed one day for verification and they'd mail it out. So it should have been mailed Friday, but who knows. I'm guessing it isn't mailed or they need more information (I recently bought a house, but my other Chase cards come here, so they shouldn't need verification). I am sure it'll get straightened out, but I certainly never have had such a hard time getting a card.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:27 am
rje

Programs: Marriott Gold,United Silver,Delta Silver,Hhonors Diamond., SPG platinum, Priority Club Plat.
Reallocated credit lines at 888-245-0625 and was told I'd be be approved. Took 3 days for the" you are approved message at 800-945-2006". Got the two e-mails from BA with my EC # and pin.

Last edited by rje; Nov 22, 2009 at 6:30 pm
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:13 am

Another Data Point

Applied on 11/16/09, called on 11/21/09 to find out I was approved. Account now shows online with $22,500 credit limit - no card yet. I had one other Chase card that was opened just over 1 year ago. I'm a frequent Citi AA churner who was denied 8/30/09 for two Citia AA cards due to too many inquiries over the past 12 months. I've had 9 inquiries with Experian since February of this year and 3 more that were more than 1 year old as of 11/12/09.

I always pay the amount due on my cards in full on each statement, but prior to submitting my application, I paid any outstanding balance on every card prior to the the statement date arriving and continued to do so for the next few days to minimize the percentage of credit lines used whenever the credit report was to be pulled. Not sure if that made any difference.

It appears that the credit pull by Chase was made with Equifax instead of Experian on 11/18/09 (two days after the application). First USA Bank in Westerville, Ohio made the inquiry.

The fact that the pull was from Equifax rather than Experian probably helped more than anything else since I only showed 1 inquiry from Equifax in the past 12 months.

Have applied for the wife today - another frequent Citi AA churner with 8 Experian inquiries since February of this year and 2 more that exceeded 1 year as of 11/18/09. She has 2 Equifax inquiries since June. Following the same strategy of paying outstanding balances prior to the statement closing dates for the next few days.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rje
Reallocated credit lines at 888-945-0625 and was told I'd be be approved. Took 3 days for the" you are approved message at 800-245-2006". Got the two e-mails from BA with my EC # and pin.
I believe you have transposed the digit of 9 and 2 in the 2 toll free numbers.

You may want to edit it so late comers would not be misled.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
can someone please post the rules for oneworld awards using BA miles? I thought it was 16 segments/5 stopover maximum, but I cannot find that anywhere on the BA site. I couldn't find anything with a search for oneworld award on the BAEC forum either.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jsmjdjsmjd
I called 888-245-0625 and talked to a CSR and he said since I have 2 other Chase credit cards that my application was pending waiting on income verification.

But if I wanted to change one of my Chase cards to a BA Chase he could approve it now. @:-)
How long after you applied online did you wait to call & check up? I have several other Chase cc & will probably be in the same boat but will happily take a reallocation as well.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
can someone please post the rules for oneworld awards using BA miles? I thought it was 16 segments/5 stopover maximum, but I cannot find that anywhere on the BA site. I couldn't find anything with a search for oneworld award on the BAEC forum either.
I'm not sure about the rules, but I can tell you that the redemption rates are pretty poor when compared with both AA and straight-up one way awards in BA's program.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Different agent, call again?

I called 888-245-0625 and was told the card was declined due to credit history not being long enough. I do have another CC with Chase, but the agent today was not willing to talk about shifting a part of that credit line over to the British Airways CC. Does it make sense to call again, maybe even another number, and try to speak to a different agent?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not sure about the rules, but I can tell you that the redemption rates are pretty poor when compared with both AA and straight-up one way awards in BA's program.
Probably, but my trip requires 4 different carriers. I'm planning to use the 100K BA on something like the following:

JL: ORD-NRT-HKG
CX: HKG-BKK-BOM-DXB
RJ: DXB-AMM-CAI-AMM-FCO
IB: FCO-MAD-JFK

19,993 miles

It would be perfect for AA's OW130C... I wonder if BA will allow all of the stopovers, though (like AA would). If not, then I would tweak the itin again.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
I called 888-245-0625 and was told the card was declined due to credit history not being long enough. I do have another CC with Chase, but the agent today was not willing to talk about shifting a part of that credit line over to the British Airways CC. Does it make sense to call again, maybe even another number, and try to speak to a different agent?
you never know until you try, really. what do you have to lose?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: nwa spg aa ua
Delta wants to invest in JAL

Sorry if this has been covered in this thread. There is an article in WSJ about Delta wooing JAL away from Oneworld. I hope to use the miles for this card in the next few years. If JAL leaves Oneworld, it would be a huge disappointment for BA miles holders like me. CX does not offer enough convenient routes & availability to Asia.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Probably, but my trip requires 4 different carriers. I'm planning to use the 100K BA on something like the following:

JL: ORD-NRT-HKG
CX: HKG-BKK-BOM-DXB
RJ: DXB-AMM-CAI-AMM-FCO
IB: FCO-MAD-JFK

19,993 miles

It would be perfect for AA's OW130C... I wonder if BA will allow all of the stopovers, though (like AA would). If not, then I would tweak the itin again.
This brings up something I've been wondering about. If you don't fly any segments on BA how many partners can you use (not a One World itin.)? I though it was only one or two. Can I fly BOI-SEA on AS/QX and SEA-KOA on AA? Basically BOI-KOA-BOI on two diff. airlines. Possible for 35K?

Last edited by philemer; Nov 22, 2009 at 8:12 pm
Old Nov 22, 2009, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by tpeflyer
Sorry if this has been covered in this thread. There is an article in WSJ about Delta wooing JAL away from Oneworld. I hope to use the miles for this card in the next few years. If JAL leaves Oneworld, it would be a huge disappointment for BA miles holders like me. CX does not offer enough convenient routes & availability to Asia.
I'm hoping OW will fight hard to keep JL. Short of that, if a deal were to go down, I'm guessing one of the strings would a be a requirement that DL cede its Japan 5th Freedom rights to another carrier (e.g. AA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.