Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:24 pm

Yes, frankiwa, you can redeem your BA miles with their partner airlines, and they redeem 1 for 1, with some restrictions on routes, depending on the partner. Technically, you are not transferring the miles, you are merely spending them with the partner airline.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frankiwa
Does the BA award miles transfer to their partner airlines' miles 1 for 1? Or is there some dilution when you redeem BA miles on a partner airline? (there is probably a chart somewhere that breaks this down, but i haven't found it on the BA site yet)
frinkiwa, have you read the STICKY in BA forum?

All your questions are answered numerous times not only in this long thread, but can easily be found on the STICKY in BA forum, right on FT.

The mechanism of redeeming award is explained in the Sticky.

You can also go to BA website, look under BAEC program tab, check "spending BA miles" or similar subject - and you can find all the information you need.

No, you DONT have to be a BAEC member to learn about that.

After all, people generally want to learn about the details, i.e. the benefits, before they decide if they want to enroll to a loyalty program. Therefore, program rules are open to public access without any log in required.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:18 pm

I applied for the CC on Dec. 8, but haven't received any news other than an email to wait 15-20 days for a letter response in the mail. I called the 1-800 number and it says that my application was received. Another poster on this forum also applied for the CC on the same day and already has received his approval, letter response and card in the mail within 2 weeks. I already have a Chase CC and an online account but it does not show any news of the BA CC. Does this mean I'm not qualified for the CC? What should I do?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by brighter
I applied for the CC on Dec. 8, but haven't received any news other than an email to wait 15-20 days for a letter response in the mail. I called the 1-800 number and it says that my application was received. Another poster on this forum also applied for the CC on the same day and already has received his approval, letter response and card in the mail within 2 weeks. I already have a Chase CC and an online account but it does not show any news of the BA CC. Does this mean I'm not qualified for the CC? What should I do?
I think it is hard to guess what differences in timing may mean, but as another data point, my experience (I don't have any cards/accounts with Chase and did not have a British Airways frequent flyer (BAEC) account) was:

1. Applied on-line Dec 11 (pm) and received an email from Chase almost immediately (similar content to yours)
2. Received a welcome email with new account # from BAEC on Dec 14
3. Received an email from BAEC on Dec 18 with my PIN
4. Called Chase (800-432-3117) today to check on the status of my application; I followed the prompts, entered my SSN, and was told through the automated system that my account was approved and the card/welcome package would be mailed within 7 - 10 days

Good luck!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
I called this number 888-270-2127 (from first post) 2 days after my app. I was told that I was already at my max credit limit with chase (I have MR, Hess, and WN cards). CSR offered to reallocate credit lines to get BA card approved, which of course I did. Acct showed up online a few days later and when I return home from my travels I expect the card to be waiting for me.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
As other posters stated, it varies. I applied on Nov 23 and have yet received the card.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
it appears it varies tremendously....However, we applied last Sunday, and now looking at my chase acct online, the cards show...for myself and my wife.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:55 am

Best way to get from LIT to the Far East for 2 people

Seems like the best deal (bang for your BA miles) is the "one partner airline only" to the Far East (from North America) for only 50,000 miles, shown here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_us

My question is- what single partner airline of BA flies from the U.S. to any of the Far East Zone destinations, without having to connect with a different airline. And what departure cities in the U.S. are offered though that airline if their is one available?

More specifically, would it be possible for a round trip flight to depart from somewhere near LIT (I don't mind driving to DFW or something else nearby as an alternative departure) and arrive anywhere in the Far East Zone to stay within the single partner airline rule and get the 50,000 mile deal? The idea being trying to get 2 people to the Far East Zone using around 100,000 award miles.

I don't care so much about flying first or business class, only to travel with a companion.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like the best deal (bang for your BA miles) is the "one partner airline only" to the Far East (from North America) for only 50,000 miles, shown here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_us

My question is- what single partner airline of BA flies from the U.S. to any of the Far East Zone destinations, without having to connect with a different airline. And what departure cities in the U.S. are offered though that airline if their is one available?

More specifically, would it be possible for a round trip flight to depart from somewhere near LIT (I don't mind driving to DFW or something else nearby as an alternative departure) and arrive anywhere in the Far East Zone to stay within the single partner airline rule and get the 50,000 mile deal? The idea being trying to get 2 people to the Far East Zone using around 100,000 award miles.

I don't care so much about flying first or business class, only to travel with a companion.
BA's website would give you almost all the details you need if you check the list of partners. All the One World Member Airlines are BA partners. AA, JL & CX fly to Far East from US. However, there is a possibility JL will deflect to Sky Team in near future.

Go to One World website to see their route map - there is an excellent interactive route map for you to learn and research. Remember, ONLY the Blue color routes can be used, as the Blue color routes are flown by One World member airlines and that is what you need to stick with.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/flight-info/where-we-fly

You need to do more legwork on your own by using these tools. Because only you would know which GATEWAY Cities would work best for you and which destination in Far East you want to go.

Also it may not be too bad if you have to pay your own way to West Coast Gateway Cities so you have more choices in choosing your itinerary / destination, rather than stick to DFW.

Finally, BA awards dont have to be claimed in a r/t manner - it can be a one-way, just half the miles of r/t. This would open up further opportunities that you can pay your own ways within Far East region to return from a different city. LCC flights in Asia are CHEAP.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 20, 2009 at 8:19 pm Reason: correct typos
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:01 pm

While true many of us are striving (spending) for the 100k goal, let's not forget that actually we'll be earning 103,000 for our efforts. 1.5 per $1 spent to get to the $2,000.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by mikensf74
While true many of us are striving (spending) for the 100k goal, let's not forget that actually we'll be earning 103,000 for our efforts. 1.5 per $1 spent to get to the $2,000.
Actually, you will have only 102,500 miles after $2,000 in spend. The earning rate for non-BA purchases is 1.25 miles per dollar.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:26 pm

Yeah, I worked hard to "spend" the $2k: bought a number of airline gift certificates in relatively small and sensible denominations as I'd want pay the remainder cost of each trip using a PPE card in order to earn flight points. It was an obsession, nevertheless.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

Go to One World website to see their route map - there is an excellent interactive route map for you to learn and research. Remember, ONLY the Blue color routes can be used, as the Blue color routes are flown by One World member airlines and that is what you need to stick with.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/flight-info/where-we-fly
The oneworld interactive map is helpful indeed, but it wouldn't work for me because it doesn't show an interactive map for any single airline within the one world partners, it only shows the oneworld grouped together and not broken down for which airline is used on any route. To get the 50,000 mile economy class deal to the Far East Zone it has to be on a single partner airline round trip.

You would only get 20,000 worth of distance travel for using the award (100,000 BA miles) on 2 or more oneworld partner airlines which wouldn't be enough to travel to the Far East Zone for 2 people with 100,000 BA miles.

It would be great to find a tool that lets you search for any single airline's metal within the oneworld partner group to get from the U.S. to Asia. Everytime I do a search at Japan airlines.com or Cathaypacific.com for flights to any Far East Zone city (from the U.S.) it groups multiple airlines in the route (which voids the great deal). I don't think there is a way to search for a CX metal only route to Hong Kong or a JL metal only flight to Hong Kong from the U.S, is there?

I plan to do more research to find out the best way (it it is even possible) to take advantage of the 50,000 mile Far East Zone for a single partner airline, since that is an incredible deal, as i could take someone with me to the Far East an back under this 100,000 BA award.

I was just curious if anyone else was planning to use this 50,000 Far East Zone economy class single partner airline deal if it is possible and what airline/route/date they are planning.

Last edited by frankiwa; Dec 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

To get the 50,000 mile economy class deal to the Far East Zone it has to be on a single partner airline round trip.
Certainly, you can get to any city that AA serves with its own metal. You may have to make a connection or two to get there from LIT, but that should not be an issue. I know that AA serves both Tokyo and Shanghai (and will be adding Beijing in a few months), so those are possibilities.

You might also want to inquire of the BAEC service center as to whether cdeshares operated by a second carrier -- but carrying an AA flight number -- count as AA flights for award redemption purposes. If codeshares are permissible for redemption purposes, and if you can leave from DFW, you should have many more destination choices, as the AA nonstops between DFW and NRT also carry JL flight numbers as codeshares.

I also find this site helpful for pulling up oneworld schedules between any two cities. It identifies codeshare flights as well:

http://www.travelsked.com/itdpda/pda...p?custcode=ONW

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 20, 2009 at 12:55 pm
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not, but I was looking at the T&C for the companion ticket and this was in there:

15. Frequent Flyers Miles may not be used for redemption or upgrades in conjunction with this offer but frequent flyer mileage may be earned on the revenue ticket.

So, does that mean that if you get one of these companion tickets you can't use your 100k miles for your ticket and the companion ticket together?

I have read through this entire thread once and I thought I read (but admittedly I didn't go back through the 100+ pages to double-check) that you could use your 100k miles to get yourself a Business Class ticket and use the companion ticket to basically get 2 "free" business class tickets to Europe? That doesn't seem to be allowed, unless I just don't understand the T&C?

Also, the original reason that I was looking at the T&C is to see if I could use the companion ticket on a partner airline, but it says that it's only good on BA flights. I hadn't seen that mentioned in this thread yet either, but I may have missed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.