Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:33 pm

Approved at Last

I submitted my application online on November 7th, and finally got the message from the automated 800# that I was approved on November 19th. I guess they must be really backlogged with applications.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Thanks for the info! Is it safe to assume I'd still be eligible to earn the sign-up miles for the Mileage Plus Visa in the future then (if they took away my miles this time around), or would I be hosed on that front?
I'm not 100% since I don't think many would willingly risk it, but I'm pretty sure you're hosed on the Mileage Plus Visa front too. You would no longer be a first-time cardmember. UA have 3 different cards, so technically, you could still get a bonus for each "type" of card (annual fee varies)

If I were in your situation, I'd stick with the UA card for at least 6 months (so you could get your bonus there) and hope that there will be a BA promotion like this 6 months from now. That is, unless you don't care about the UA bonus and willing to risk it for the BA card (though you're not guaranteed that you'll definitely be approved when you apply either).
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:25 pm

Several persons have mentioned buying coins in order to make the required $2000 purchase amount for the additional 50,000 miles.

I would like to spend $2000 within the first three months in order to get the extra 50,000 miles, but I normally do not spend that much.

So how does this work with buying coins?

I'd appreciate any ideas you can offer. Thank you!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by muji
So how does this work with buying coins?
Coins are a currently a prohibited topic on FT (i.e. discussing here could get this thread closed), but there's lots of info both here (e.g. check out the stickies at the top of this forum) and on the rest of the web.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Thanks for the info! Is it safe to assume I'd still be eligible to earn the sign-up miles for the Mileage Plus Visa in the future then (if they took away my miles this time around), or would I be hosed on that front?
Doubt the computer is programmed to recognize that the bonus has been taken back thus means you dont receive bonus and still eligible for bonus. My guess is it is only programmed to recognize a UA FF number has been issued bonus (therefore not eligible for 2nd one).

Can you ask them to lower the UA card to its minimum line of 5K instead of closing it?

You can lose your UA miles if the card is canceled before 6 months. It actually happened.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
I'm not 100% since I don't think many would willingly risk it, but I'm pretty sure you're hosed on the Mileage Plus Visa front too. You would no longer be a first-time cardmember. UA have 3 different cards, so technically, you could still get a bonus for each "type" of card (annual fee varies)
It worked in the past, but AFAIK Chase has changed the language to make only one lifetime bonus regardless.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
It worked in the past, but AFAIK Chase has changed the language to make only one lifetime bonus regardless.
So...I was planning to apply for the BA card this month and the UA card next year. Do you mean that I won't get the 5,000 EQM bonus for the UA card if I have already signed up for this one?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
So...I was planning to apply for the BA card this month and the UA card next year. Do you mean that I won't get the 5,000 EQM bonus for the UA card if I have already signed up for this one?
No. She meant that you're not supposed to be able to churn Chase UA cards any more.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:11 am
Suspended

Assuming that the above doesn't mean you have zero credit history, and therefore probably wouldn't get the card, it shouldn't really be too hard to divert $2,000 of spend onto it. Or do you really not have any outgoings? Fuel, utilities, phone, groceries, cable/satellite, hotels, books, music... some people here on FlyerTalk have even been rumoured to buy the occasional plane ticket.
Fuel - work at home, drive to airport and groceries
Utils - paid by someone else
Groceries - Travel 20 days/month. Sadly don't get many of them
Hotels - company pays
Books - Buy an occasional one but mostly read articles
Music - I download it for free
Plane tickets - company pays

I suppose I could pay car insurance with it, but that's a lot of hassle to do for two months. I try to spend as little as possible and most things I buy I try to buy used. Why take the depreciation hit yourself. I try to live as non-material a life as possible. There are better things in life, such as friends and family, than things.

I will check out the mint suggestion someone made.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>I suppose I could pay car insurance with it, but that's a lot of hassle to do for two months.

I accidentally keep overpaying my insurance bills and my company keeps sending me paper check refunds

>>>>>>>>There are better things in life, such as friends and family, than things.

Yes, sure but miles can enhance your friends and family
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Hotels - company pays

I suppose I could pay car insurance with it, but that's a lot of hassle to do for two months. I try to spend as little as possible and most things I buy I try to buy used. Why take the depreciation hit yourself. I try to live as non-material a life as possible. There are better things in life, such as friends and family, than things.

Sounds like these are nice problems to have...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:31 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I try to live as non-material a life as possible.
There's nothing wrong with that philosophy, but if you want to combine it with chasing free airline miles then you'll need creativity to meet the hurdles set by card providers who want us to spend, spend, spend.

Good luck!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Hmm. Received my BA welcome e-mail and pin confirmation early this morning, but no sign of the account in my Chase profile. I guess I'll call the 1800 number. Fingers crossed...

Approved! For informational purposes, Fico in the low 700s, 100k+ income.

Last edited by andyandy; Nov 20, 2009 at 8:00 am Reason: Update
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I decided to call the 888-609-7805 number to check on the status of my app. and am glad I did. I spoke to a person who originally told me that the app. was denied- I forget the exact verbage- because of not having enough credit with the bank. What she meant was there was too much credit already out there on several Chase cards. She asked permission to close out one card I don't use and rearrange the credit limits on a couple of other cards. After a few minutes on hold, voila! I was approved. If I hadn't called I might have just received a denial letter.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Hotels - company pays

What do you eat during the 20 days per month you're on the road?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.