Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, USAIR, SPG, HYATT, IHG
We are getting three cards in our immediate family and trying to figure how to spend 2000 each on charges in 3 months. Most of my charges are automatic with other charge cards.

Christmas is approaching - can I buy gift cards at Bloomingdales, Macy's etc for 500 each or will that count as a cash advance?

Sorry if this has been answered but this thread is 55 pages and couldn't locate the question on search.

Thanks so much
GA
Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GA37
We are getting three cards in our immediate family and trying to figure how to spend 2000 each on charges in 3 months. Most of my charges are automatic with other charge cards.

Christmas is approaching - can I buy gift cards at Bloomingdales, Macy's etc for 500 each or will that count as a cash advance?

Sorry if this has been answered but this thread is 55 pages and couldn't locate the question on search.

Thanks so much
GA
Gift cards should be no problem. The credit card company has no idea what you've purchased when a retailer submits a charge.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:02 pm

Applied for this card on 11/11. Called today 888-609-7805 to check the status, it was directly connected to credit dept. They took 10K of credit line from my Southwest RR card and approved British Airways card with 10K line.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec
Applied for the cards on 11/10, got them in the mail today. Looking forward to a trip to Chile...
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ingy
....We both have too many Chase cards, and they wanted to talk about reallocation and possible account cancellation. With minor adjustments we could easily agree to, we were both approved.

The number I called was 888-609-7805
ingy aka "Frugal Travel Guy":

Thanks for posting this information and the phone #. I applied 11/12 and still no response. Called the number today, got a really nice lady agent ... I agreed to lower the credit limit on my other cards .... and I was approved.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Got card yesterday. Called to activate. Asked agent if the annual fee applies in the first year. She said yes.
I just activated my card. Agent confirmed the 50k first purchase, 50k after $2000 and NO annual fee first year. I reconfirmed with her the bonus miles and no annual fee and again stated the same. Only issue was after receipt of the card I only have a 83 day window for the $2000/second 50k miles due to a delay in mail.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Trimada
"I don't mean to be rude to a newbie but I have to say this because I am about to burst.....[B]did you read the original (first) post in this thread at all?"

Hey as far as I am concerned all is fair game for me being stupid… But I swear I tried that link and it didn’t work… but I now see it was updated… Missed that.. and after going through 20+ pages I gave up.
Thanks for the info though…. Will see if it gets approved….
BA just sent me an unsolicited email apologizing that the link wasn't working, and I could call to apply. (although I was already approved for the card anyway)
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My brother and dad both got approved with very generous credit lines, but the message on the automated system now says that mine is under "review." I guess I should call that back door number? I have quite a bit of credit through Chase on other cards, so would be happy if they could reallocate some of it.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
denied because of too many applications for credit cards since the beginning of the year (11).
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: A few
same here - denied because of 10 credit enquiries... and the nice agent said there was no way around that one understandable for sure. happens that this year i bought (and financed) two cars, also made use of a number of interest free credit offers and then started churning citi cards. can't win them all...
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:48 pm

I was also denied..too many credit applications (from any company) within the past year. I had a total of 10. Agent was unable to tell me what the exact limit was. My credit score is over 800 so they are looking at inquiries only.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Can't one just buy a refundable plane ticket (or any other item) that is over $2k and pay off the balance to get the bonus 50k in points?

You can then spend as much time as you want (a year realistically since there is an annual fee) to make the $2k in purchases. Then refund the plane ticket when you have accumulated enough.

OR, the even sleazier way is to refund the ticket when your BA points post and then cancel the card. Chase should send you a check for the positive balance. Whether or not they claw back the 50k in bonus BA points, I have no clue.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Card came today. I didn't know which card I was getting until it arrived.

It doesn't say on my online Chase account whether it's a Platinum or Signature Card.

I thought it may have been the Platinum Card because it had a stated credit line, turns out to be the Signature Card. ^

I guess that's kinda like my AMEX Platinum Card..."No Pre-set Limit", it may not be pre-set, but there's a limit!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by skit53
Can't one just buy a refundable plane ticket (or any other item) that is over $2k and pay off the balance to get the bonus 50k in points?

You can then spend as much time as you want (a year realistically since there is an annual fee) to make the $2k in purchases. Then refund the plane ticket when you have accumulated enough.

OR, the even sleazier way is to refund the ticket when your BA points post and then cancel the card. Chase should send you a check for the positive balance. Whether or not they claw back the 50k in bonus BA points, I have no clue.
Hey...security's not tight enough around here. Who's letting all the fatwallet folks in?

I think you could possibly get away with either scenario.

The only way I would try it would be to buy the refundable ticket, wait for your miles to post, use your miles, refund ticket, get refund check, close CC.

On second thought, I wouldn't try it.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
So I got a letter today saying that the application was denied, and the reason it gave was "Income not supported by credit bureau data". It was my understanding that the credit report has no info about income, only info regarding your credit lines....so how could they possibly be able to give that as a reason?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.