Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:28 am

Does anyone know how many miles it would cost to fly

SFO -> TPE (Probably by partner airline CX)
SFO -> LHR (Probably BA)

How hard is it to redeem BA miles?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Compfreak

SFO -> LHR (Probably BA)

I don't mean to sound rude but.......the following page has been referenced numerous times in this thread and can easily be found on the BA website:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_us

If the destination is not served directly by BA (as is the case with TPE) you need to look at the following link and then pick from the choices of different airline alternatives:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...g/public/en_us

PLEASE no more "how many miles do I need to fly from x to y" questions.

Last edited by christianj; Nov 17, 2009 at 6:46 am
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:26 am

I applied 11/6. I called the 800# today and got the "approximately 2 weeks" message. I don't recall Chase being this slow in the past. I guess I just have to be patient
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jeez, this thread is long! For good reason, of course.

A couple of unrelated (but hopefully useful) comments.

First, when I activiated my card, the agent told me I had 93 days from the time the account was created (NOT from the time of activation) to spend the $2000 to get the 50,000 bonus miles (of course, you also get 50,000 miles for your first purchase). I was also told my account was created 6 days before I got the card. So keep that deadline in mind. I know it's somewhat important to me because with my wife also getting the card, this is a significant amount of credit card usage to achieve in 3 months. At some point, I may have to decide whether to make some purchases (like gas) on this card that I would prefer to make on other "bonus" credit cards.

Second, there is confusion in this thread about whether you can fly airlines other than BA to Europe -- presumably in an effort to avoid BA's fuel surcharges. Is it yes or no?

Finally, when looking at their award chart, it seems obvious to me (assuming that trans-altlantic has surcharges) that the best coach awards for Americans are domestic (25,000), the "Far East" (I'll have to check that definition, I'm guessing China and Japan, 50,000), Hawaii (35,000) and South America (40,000). I know lots of flyertalkers love upgraded travel, but this is a classic "low incentive to upgrade" program because they require 2x mileage for biz class. Personally, I will always choose to go twice in coach than once in business.

The other award wrinkle is that awards are significantly higher if you MIX airlines -- you have to use a mileage based award chart which is less advantageous. This would eliminate the possibility of, say, taking intra-Asia or intra-South America flights on your reward unless you could start from a gateway city where the international carrier flies from.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: nwa spg aa ua
Originally Posted by Compfreak

SFO -> LHR (Probably BA)

I spent several hours researching redemption for this exact route - SFO-TPE. I found availability for April on JL SFO-NRT-TPE for 50K miles. There is even availability for SFO-KHH on CX. It is possible to do one ways as well. Ideally I wanted connections from the Midwest but they were either nonexistent or required a ton more miles.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by iahphx
Second, there is confusion in this thread about whether you can fly airlines other than BA to Europe -- presumably in an effort to avoid BA's fuel surcharges. Is it yes or no?

The other award wrinkle is that awards are significantly higher if you MIX airlines -- you have to use a mileage based award chart which is less advantageous. This would eliminate the possibility of, say, taking intra-Asia or intra-South America flights on your reward unless you could start from a gateway city where the international carrier flies from.
You should be able to avoid fuel surcharge by flying Iberia or Finnair to Europe.

For intra-asia or intra-europe travel, try the mileage-based oneworld awards. They are wonderful for that sort of thing.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by iahphx
Jeez, this thread is long! For good reason, of course.

A couple of unrelated (but hopefully useful) comments.

First, when I activiated my card, the agent told me I had 93 days from the time the account was created (NOT from the time of activation) to spend the $2000 to get the 50,000 bonus miles (of course, you also get 50,000 miles for your first purchase). I was also told my account was created 6 days before I got the card. So keep that deadline in mind. I know it's somewhat important to me because with my wife also getting the card, this is a significant amount of credit card usage to achieve in 3 months. At some point, I may have to decide whether to make some purchases (like gas) on this card that I would prefer to make on other "bonus" credit cards.[....]

Originally Posted by RedSox
Now that folks are starting to get their cards, does anyone have a way to maximize spending and or quick spending to get to the $2K (x2 for many of us)

I've been thinking about buying AA gift certificates (I'm going to spend that money anyway an AA is donating $5 for every $50 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure®)

Maybe purchase 500 mile upgrades. (need those for companion travel).

Marriott Gift Cards- Marriott is offering 10 MR points for every dollar spent on GC's (max 25k miles) https://gifts.marriott.com/ promo ends Dec 31st.

$2500 in Marriott GC spend is good for a couple of free nights in a category 2 property.

I still have plenty of $1 Presidential coins to cash in so I'm not going that route.

Any other suggestions?
Originally Posted by IMH
Some good ideas there, RedSox. One thing I do whenever I have this 'problem' is to pay some regular bills a month or two (or three...) in advance. All of the following let me use a credit card online to pay more than I currently owe: local utilities (electricity, waste, water), cell phone provider, land line provider, internet provider, satellite TV company.
Which was why I was looking for suggestions. I'll have no problem spending the $2k x2, but, I want it done as soon as I get the card. I want the miles posting sooner rather than later. Also, I don't want to forget that I was suppose to spend $2000 and not get the second bonus.

Last edited by RedSox; Nov 17, 2009 at 12:54 pm
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I don't mean to sound rude but.......the following page has been referenced numerous times in this thread and can easily be found on the BA website:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_us

If the destination is not served directly by BA (as is the case with TPE) you need to look at the following link and then pick from the choices of different airline alternatives:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...g/public/en_us

PLEASE no more "how many miles do I need to fly from x to y" questions.
Sorry about that. I appreciate the link you provided.

Originally Posted by tpeflyer
I spent several hours researching redemption for this exact route - SFO-TPE. I found availability for April on JL SFO-NRT-TPE for 50K miles. There is even availability for SFO-KHH on CX. It is possible to do one ways as well. Ideally I wanted connections from the Midwest but they were either nonexistent or required a ton more miles.
Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:26 am

Application was pending for over a week so I called and spoke to a credit analyst. The issue seemed to be that I had too much credit with Chase. The analyst re-allocated some credit lines and after a few days the account was approved.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Yeah - Approved today so now I can get rid of my Delta Amex after just 6 months and its 75,000 bonus miles.
Missed the Delta Amex offer. Will have to read these threads more often.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:29 pm

$75 fee waived?

Originally Posted by xp0
When I called to activate my card, the lady told me they waived the first year's fee for me!
Has anyone else had the $75 fee waived? Or is the fee waived for the first year?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Dodge City
Has anyone else had the $75 fee waived? Or is the fee waived for the first year?
When I called to activate, they let me know that my first year's annual fee would be waived. Also, I was approved for the "Platinum" card, not the "Signature" version and the agent let me know (without my asking) that I would get 50,000 miles with my first purchase and 50,000 miles after $2,000 in spending within 93 days.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by tpeflyer
watch out the surcharge/fees/tax
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Also, I was approved for the "Platinum" card, not the "Signature" version
Still waiting for my card to arrive after getting the "you are approved" recording and the card showing up on my online Chase account. Since we are now hearing back from some people about actually getting the Platinum card vs. the Signature card one must post the following question:

What exactly will the difference be between the two if the annual fee remains at $75 and the bonus points are earned? If nothing....why not give everyone the Signature card anyway?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I've an existing BA Chase account, so not even trying.

Had the wife apply and she did so on the 9th or 10th. The phone message still says will be notified in 7 to 10 business days. Yesterday received a letter requesting photocopy of her SS# card and proof of residence, such as utility bill, driver's license or vehicle registration. So she sent in SS# and vehicle registration today (can't use utility bill, her name isn't on them). We'll see what happens. Would really like to combine with existing miles and burn for 2 F spots on the non-stop from PHX one way - the non-stop is worth the YQ to me. Will return one-way in AA F with my AA miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.