Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by RedSox
Now that folks are starting to get their cards, does anyone have a way to maximize spending and or quick spending to get to the $2K (x2 for many of us)

I've been thinking about buying AA gift certificates (I'm going to spend that money anyway an AA is donating $5 for every $50 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure®)

Maybe purchase 500 mile upgrades. (need those for companion travel).

Marriott Gift Cards- Marriott is offering 10 MR points for every dollar spent on GC's (max 25k miles) https://gifts.marriott.com/ promo ends Dec 31st.

$2500 in Marriott GC spend is good for a couple of free nights in a category 2 property.

I still have plenty of $1 Presidential coins to cash in so I'm not going that route.

Any other suggestions?

Originally Posted by IMH
Some good ideas there, RedSox. One thing I do whenever I have this 'problem' is to pay some regular bills a month or two (or three...) in advance. All of the following let me use a credit card online to pay more than I currently owe: local utilities (electricity, waste, water), cell phone provider, land line provider, internet provider, satellite TV company.

Great suggestions! However, in my typical cheapskate fashion, I'm looking for something for nothing. Bonus', extra miles etc. Advance paying utilities won't get me a discount but I'll keep it in mind in case I want to do some extra spend to end up with 105K BA miles (that a F ticket BOS-HNL on AA) for me!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSox
Great suggestions! However, in my typical cheapskate fashion, I'm looking for something for nothing. Bonus', extra miles etc. Advance paying utilities won't get me a discount but I'll keep it in mind in case I want to do some extra spend to end up with 105K BA miles (that a F ticket BOS-HNL on AA) for me!
Well, the MR GC route would also make you forfeit the potential $ saving on a Priceline winning bid, but may be a wash after getting back the bonus MR pts. The end result is about the same but the MR GC takes more record keeping and efforts to use up the GC.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bsb21
Good idea!

I did find a JAL flight in F from SFO. The flight has space in Y and F (but not J).

However, it will be a mindblowing experience to fly there in F and to return in Y! Its like getting poked the eye with a sharp stick!
FYI, AA's ORD-PVG flight has great availability in March. If you go that route, you'd be able to add XXX-ORD for free because you'd be adhering to the single airline rule.

As much as I like JL (i.e. it is leaps and bounds better than AA), I'd probably give AA a chance in this case. BTW, this flight isn't as a good an option for west coast people because we can't tack on connecting flights without violating MPM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by guv1976

(And of course, you cannot use two partner carriers on an award unless it is a oneworld award.)
I'd like to do BOI-SEA (Horizon Air), SEA-LHR (BA). Is this OK?

A BA newbie.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by philemer

A BA newbie.
It looks like the second option of the rules should work for you. Have you tried to search for this routing on ba.com?

So the three redemption options involving partner airlines include:

* One partner airline only (not British Airways)
* British Airways plus a partner airline
* Two or more oneworld...
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by moondog
FYI, AA's ORD-PVG flight has great availability in March. If you go that route, you'd be able to add XXX-ORD for free because you'd be adhering to the single airline rule.

As much as I like JL (i.e. it is leaps and bounds better than AA), I'd probably give AA a chance in this case. BTW, this flight isn't as a good an option for west coast people because we can't tack on connecting flights without violating MPM.
This is something to consider.

However, the quality of the F product is certainly not the same.

JAL's first class suites seem better and by what I have read in trip reports, provide excellent champagnes and even black caviar appetizers. Somehow, I doubt AA does either.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by philemer

A BA newbie.
I'm a BA newbie too!

As buschoi indicates, your routing should be OK. However, someone posted upthread that AS award availability cannot be checked on BA's website, so you may have to call BAEC to search/book.

One other thing to consider: If BA will permit it, you would probably save on the fuel surcharge if you were to fly AS BOI-SEA-EWR, and then BA from EWR (or even JFK if you wanted a free stopover in NYC) to LHR.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:33 pm

wife and i applied on the 6th just got approved today so for those that are still waiting there is still hope!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:40 pm

I've been reading through this thread and have seen conflicting comments regarding the impact of surcharges/fees/taxes, especially for international flights.

Does anyone know a ballpark figure range for the applicable fees/charges when booking an economy RT from the U.S. East Coast, to let's say Europe Zone 1 (France, UK, etc...) either on AA or BA with the reward points? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by loko12345
I've been reading through this thread and have seen conflicting comments regarding the impact of surcharges/fees/taxes, especially for international flights.

Does anyone know a ballpark figure range for the applicable fees/charges when booking an economy RT from the U.S. East Coast, to let's say Europe Zone 1 (France, UK, etc...) either on AA or BA with the reward points? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Go on BA.com and price an economy ticket, just as you would purchase one (not the award booking portal).

On the booking page you will see the taxes listed to the exact cent.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:15 pm

Okay, thanks! I just didn't know if the fees/charges would be more just because one was booking with rewards miles. Thanks again!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by loko12345
Okay, thanks! I just didn't know if the fees/charges would be more just because one was booking with rewards miles. Thanks again!
If you book online that is the exact amount. If you book by phone, you will have an additional $30, I believe.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
wife and I both approved today!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:22 pm

I just received the card in the mail and see nothing in the literature regarding the 50,000 miles + 50,000. Is there any way to make sure the card is good to go with that mileage? I don't want to activate and spend the $2000 unless I know I'm getting the miles.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hertz4me
2/3 for me

dad-approved
me-declined, approved if i lower one of my 2 chase cards, i figured i would maxed out $50k for NA coins
mom- looks like declined

Looks like everyone who gets 7-10 day message gets declined, 14 day approved
Interesting!

When I called yesterday, I got the "we have recieved your app,will hear within 14 days".

Today, it changed to "your app is being reviewed, will hear within 7-10 days".

I have FICO alerts and they have yet to warn me about a pull (but then again, they could have pulled from one of the two other bureaus).

Anyone experience anything similar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.