Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:09 pm

Best bang for the buck?

From reading here it seems that the best value of these miles is domestic US/North America travel, if you live there.

Isn't that the case?

If you get hit with $300-$400 in BA fees for a $600-$700 economy round trip to Europe plus the CC annual fee it makes more sense to go domestic.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by abcx
Does BA filter partner availability or is it just that the site doesn't show all availability? I am looking for some award tickets from SFO to ANC on AS.
Not sure. Maybe ask in the BA forum.

Are you getting this?

"British Airways and its partners do not fly this route. Please consider alternative destinations or call your Executive Club Service Centre."

I think you need to call the BAEC desk to book. Sorry I can't answer that one for you.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by RedSox
Not sure. Maybe ask in the BA forum.

Are you getting this?

"British Airways and its partners do not fly this route. Please consider alternative destinations or call your Executive Club Service Centre."

I think you need to call the BAEC desk to book. Sorry I can't answer that one for you.
No, I just get no availability. Apparently, there are two booking engines on BA's site. One of them gives you this. The other one, linked earlier in this thread, looks for availability, but it doesn't match the partner's own availability. I was checking for AS as mentioned.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Does BA filter partner availability or is it just that the site doesn't show all availability? I am looking for some award tickets from SFO to ANC on AS.
Which airline partners can be booked on ba.com?
All the oneworld carriers are available to book on ba.com. They are American Airlines, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, Malev, Finnair, JAL including JAL affiliates, Royal Jordanian and LAN including LAN affiliates.
For bookings on Alaskan Airlines please contact your local Executive Club Service Centre.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
No, I just get no availability. Apparently, there are two booking engines on BA's site. One of them gives you this. The other one, linked earlier in this thread, looks for availability, but it doesn't match the partner's own availability. I was checking for AS as mentioned.
You could also redeem for JFK-YVR on CX for 25K
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
I also anticipate that a lot of people that might apply for this card will actually not get it. The application and offer specifically give Chase/BA a way out by saying you may get the Plat. Card if you do not qualify for this offer. With credit as tight as it is, I think they will be pretty selective and that will upset those rejected and cause lots of complaining to follow in this thread.
Yeah, if the banks start rejecting people who have never been rejected before -- and who have always paid their bills on time and are not deep in debt -- there's going to be complaining. As there should be.

It's one thing to limit bonuses, but to arbitrarily reject perfectly good applicants is another.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles
I have closed a lot of Citi Cards, and they have not taken away the TYP>
Not to get this thread off topic, but my wife lost her unused TYP when she closed her Citi Platinum Amex card to avoid the $125 fee after the first year. It wasn't much (~ 3000) and the TYP she had earned in her account from Citi checking accounts remain (those checking accounts are still open). I figured she lost the TYP associated with the credit card because she no longer had ANY Citi card tied to TYP.

We've churned numerous AA linked Citicards over the past 18 months and have never lost any AA miles, but we've always had at least one card open with Citi that earns AA miles.

Back to my original question, is there any reason to be concerned about losing BA miles if we don't use them within the first year and close the Chase cards after ~ 11 months if we don't have ANY other Chase cards tied to BA?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond (x2), IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by teammjs
OK, for the impatient (like me), here's an auto application status to check the application status:

800-945-2006

then press #, the 1, then enter your SSN.

What's interesting, is that on two family aps done yesterday, one message says "you'll receive a letter in 7-10 days" and the other says "we will notify you in writing in 14 days". Makes me wonder if their is a preliminary bias, and one's good and the other isn't!
we will notify you in writing within 2 weeks

I have a feeling that with the deluge of applications they are receiving for this offer this may be standard answer. So far in multiple forums I haven't seen anyone so far say they got an instant approval
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by zink88
Not to get this thread off topic, but my wife lost her unused TYP when she closed her Citi Platinum Amex card to avoid the $125 fee after the first year. It wasn't much (~ 3000) and the TYP she had earned in her account from Citi checking accounts remain (those checking accounts are still open). I figured she lost the TYP associated with the credit card because she no longer had ANY Citi card tied to TYP.

We've churned numerous AA linked Citicards over the past 18 months and have never lost any AA miles, but we've always had at least one card open with Citi that earns AA miles.

Back to my original question, is there any reason to be concerned about losing BA miles if we don't use them within the first year and close the Chase cards after ~ 11 months if we don't have ANY other Chase cards tied to BA?
Once the miles are in your BAEC account they are out of Chase's control and they can't pull them out because you canceled your card. It's not like AMEX MR or Citi TYP where the controlling agent is the card issuer.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
We are in the process of buying a new house and my friends say applying for a credit card will hurt the credit score. Is that true? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
This card is very tempting though.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by jdrumm95
we will notify you in writing within 2 weeks

I have a feeling that with the deluge of applications they are receiving for this offer this may be standard answer. So far in multiple forums I haven't seen anyone so far say they got an instant approval
"in about two weeks" is what I got.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Hi, I'm new here (read about this on slickdeals )

Simple question I have (I keep reading mixed things about this). I hope someone can clarify:
If I don't have a British Airways miles account, do I have to wait until Nov.16 to apply for the card offer? Or can I just sign up now for the BA miles account (therefore, I'm now a member) and apply for the card?

I've read both ways. If I can apply now (which I actually read in this thread), then why would anyone have to wait until Nov. 16 for anything?

thanks for clarifying!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSox
Once the miles are in your BAEC account they are out of Chase's control and they can't pull them out because you canceled your card. It's not like AMEX MR or Citi TYP where the controlling agent is the card issuer.
Not always true with Chase Affinity Cards. Chase has taken UA bonus away from UA account several months after awarding it, because the UA card is cancelled before 6 months have passed.

So reading the fine prints in the T&C is a must.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:27 pm

In reading the BA site and using the miles calculator, I find reference to the term, "Prices are based on return journey". Do I assume that means, "round trip" in US vernacular? So a round trip economy is 50k points (plus fees) from US to zone 1? Does that also mean that a round trip on AA from US to Hawaii is 35K points for economy? And a round trip domestic AA is 25K points?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:34 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jack5432
Hi, I'm new here (read about this on slickdeals )

Simple question I have (I keep reading mixed things about this). I hope someone can clarify:
If I don't have a British Airways miles account, do I have to wait until Nov.16 to apply for the card offer? Or can I just sign up now for the BA miles account (therefore, I'm now a member) and apply for the card?

I've read both ways. If I can apply now (which I actually read in this thread), then why would anyone have to wait until Nov. 16 for anything?

thanks for clarifying!
After reading the terms and conditions of the offer page, there is no mention of waiting for the 16th of November. It says simply if you are not a member they will enroll you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.