Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA GLD; UA 2P; HHonors GLD; SPG
Originally Posted by pinniped
True, BA has some different sweet spots than the typical US program, but if I'm approved I look at it like this: would I buy 100k BA for $75 + 2000 Starpoints? Heck yeah!
100k BA = $75 + 2000 SPG? How does that work? Please forgive me if I missed the instructions on a previous page.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:53 pm

First time posting, but long time reader.

If you merge your account, for example, merge 3 people's account into one and cancel 2 of them, would the 2 lose the 200,000 points, or would it remain in the account?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by x8mrxjohn8x
First time posting, but long time reader.

If you merge your account, for example, merge 3 people's account into one and cancel 2 of them, would the 2 lose the 200,000 points, or would it remain in the account?
Why would you want to cancel the 2 accounts? If you are adding your spouse or child, you may simply leave the accounts dormant until they come in handy at a future date.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Great. Now to figure out how many miles it takes to go DEL-BKK on CX. I poked around the redemption part of BA's website but it wasn't all that straightforward. Kept routing me through LHR.
40k in coach, 80k in business roundtrip IIRC -- it's not the way I would consider using them.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingToFly
100k BA = $75 + 2000 SPG? How does that work? Please forgive me if I missed the instructions on a previous page.
That was in response to an earlier question of what 100,000 BA miles is worth...somewhat suggesting that 100,000 miles on a different carrier would be worth more.

I'm basically saying that I don't know much about BA beyond what I've read on FT, but I'm happy to pay one annual fee and direct $2,000 of spending onto this card to find out.

Even if I later learn that these miles are hard to use and the taxes associated with them are high, I still didn't risk much to get them. Worst case: they get redeemed for two lousy coach tickets to Manchester in an off-peak month...
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:00 pm

I was planning on canceling so I wouldn't have to pay the $75 annual fees after the first year.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was planning on canceling so I wouldn't have to pay the $75 annual fees after the first year.
Usually, the biggest bonus offers hit you upfront with an annual fee. I know Amex hit me with $75 or $85 on Day 1 when I was starting that $10k for 75k DL run.

If this one effectively waives that until the 12-month mark, the offer is even juicier than I previously thought. @:-)
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:06 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
You can't "merge" accounts belonging to different people. You can link them to form a household account. The individual accounts continue to exist. Closing one of them with miles in it would mean forfeiting those miles. For more details:

Originally Posted by mia
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

Scroll down to Section 16, Household Accounts
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by CalvaryMike
Yup, just wait until this hits FatWallet! A matter of minutes. Yikes!
A bit off topic but since FW was mentioned I want to give my two cents worth: As a longtime user of FT I guess I got spoiled a bit as to how civil and polite this place normally is. My experience with FatWallet was the complete opposite, I generally view it as being it as being rude and vicious - basically a complete downer. I refuse to even look at FT anymore as any genuinely good deal that's posted there is almost guaranteed to also be posted on SlickDeals and I've found the people on SD to be much nicer to deal with.

Last edited by yanxfann; Nov 6, 2009 at 1:43 pm
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:07 pm

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess the first thing is getting approved. Citi is suddenly denying folks credit cards for little or no reason, so we'll see with Chase. I don't think I or my wife have applied for any type of card with them in the past year, so I'd guess we'll be OK.

Once we get the cards, it seems like a no-brainer to spend the $2k. There seem to be plenty of opportunties to earn good rewards without having to pay BA's crazy fuel surcharges.

The next question becomes whether to shoot for the 30k spend for the companion ticket. I'm currently thinking "no." First, as I understand it, the companion ticket is only good on BA metal -- which means you have to pay the nasty surcharges. So the "free" ticket is going to cost at least a couple hundred dollars, right? Also, I don't know about you guys, but 30k would be the vast majority of my household's credit card spending in a year. Other than hauling coins to the bank, is there any practical way to get this spend without, um, spending the 30k? I hear rumors that there are other strategies.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:13 pm

I was wondering if you can upgrade from a Platinum Chase Visa to the BA card? This way there might not be a pull on your credit?

I had talked to a CSR from Amex one time about going from a regular amex to the Delta gold card vs. Delta gold card to Delta Platinum, and they said neither had a hard pull on your credit, that they were considered upgrades since you would be paying a yearly fee.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
2nd posting, any comments please!

I got a Chase Sony Card on 11/5/09 & a Continental CC on 10/20/09 (along with two Continental debit cards linked to two new Continental Chase checking accounts). So, to continue my perfect cc streak, do I apply for this one now?

Will this have any effect on my regular Citibank AA cc churning? (so far so good there, but starting to get worried).
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:16 pm

If a large number of people get approved for this offer, it may be extremely difficult to snag award seats in the coming year.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingToFly
If a large number of people get approved for this offer, it may be extremely difficult to snag award seats in the coming year.
Probably true on BA, but by the time you get to the partner level, I doubt you'd be able to notice the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.