Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by londonexpert
I wondered whether they will
extend ticket validity? Or the change must be within the original validity?
For any CX/KA flights with 160- ticket number, travel before June 30, 2020, and ticket issued before March 23, 2020, it can be rebooked up to June 30, 2021.
I just did it yesterday and there was no issue at all. The original validity of my AM reward ticket expires in Aug 2020. The flight is supposed to depart next month and now rebooked to March 2021.
However, I have heard some people get denied by MPC agents to rebook their reward tickets over the original validity. Mayber I was lucky yesterday???

If your ticket is revenue one, cash refund is better option.
Old May 28, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Hong Kong will re-open for transit on June 1 in a limited scale.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by email2markt
This link has a summary of the initial changes:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/04/29/...until-june-30/

I’m pretty sure they released some July details too but maybe I was mistaken as I can’t find anything online although a few flights can now be found on Google flights etc
Thanks for the link. As of 6/22 it seems to be planned to 4x/week, e.g. MO, TH, FR, SU for the LAX-HGK operated by the A350 per current flight schedules.
email2markt likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific
Originally Posted by midlevels
Was looking at CX806/CX807 to/from ORD.

They've been zeroed out in all classes including Y/W/J.
My flight to YVR on Jul 13 has become unavailable for new redemption or purchase, but it is still registered as confirmed on my e-ticket, and a CX agent also confirmed that it is still in operation. I cannot imagine it being entirely sold out by now. So what does it mean then?
Old May 29, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bsshung
My flight to YVR on Jul 13 has become unavailable for new redemption or purchase, but it is still registered as confirmed on my e-ticket, and a CX agent also confirmed that it is still in operation. I cannot imagine it being entirely sold out by now. So what does it mean then?
Agent does not always have the most updated info.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by bsshung
Zero in all buckets is usually the first step towards cancellation.
CX stops selling tickets on some of their YVR flights and see if there is additional demand on the other flights in the coming days. This is still 1.5 months from now, but it is likely that CX will contact you and propose flights on another day.
If there is some unexpected huge demand for flights to/from YVR, they might reopen your flight to new booking, but unlikely.
Most airlines currently operate this way..
Old May 29, 2020, 5:21 am

I just noticed that CX 841 (JFK-HKG) arrived yesterday (May 28th). And flightaware shows the flight operating throughout May (or at least for the last two weeks). Are these passenger flights (or are these basically cargo flights)? I thought CX had cancelled service to New York through the end of June.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
It looks a good portion of London flights in early July have been zeroed out too - perhaps they are adjusting the schedule to the new demand
Old May 29, 2020, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by wyskevin
For any CX/KA flights with 160- ticket number, travel before June 30, 2020, and ticket issued before March 23, 2020, it can be rebooked up to June 30, 2021.
I just did it yesterday and there was no issue at all. The original validity of my AM reward ticket expires in Aug 2020. The flight is supposed to depart next month and now rebooked to March 2021.
However, I have heard some people get denied by MPC agents to rebook their reward tickets over the original validity. Mayber I was lucky yesterday???

If your ticket is revenue one, cash refund is better option.
unfortunately it is a revenue one and it is partly used as well. I already paid to upfare it back in March before all the shut down. I still have till end of this year to use it. Prob will wait and see ad refund now will mean pretty much a total loss as the cost of using a the return segment will be a bit if I buy it from scratch.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I just noticed that CX 841 (JFK-HKG) arrived yesterday (May 28th). And flightaware shows the flight operating throughout May (or at least for the last two weeks). Are these passenger flights (or are these basically cargo flights)? I thought CX had cancelled service to New York through the end of June.
cargo flight. Can’t book at CX website at all.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:20 am

Not sure what's happening with CX's cargo flights on pax a/c but lots of them appear to have just... stopped. A week ago there were daily flights to Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Chicago, and New York. Twice daily flights to Melbourne and Heathrow. Three daily flights to Sydney and Los Angeles. It's like someone flicked a switch when it got to June and they don't fly anymore.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
My HKG-ZRH flight in July was cancelled today. Next available flight is on Aug. 1st...
Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by hermanc
My HKG-ZRH flight in July was cancelled today. Next available flight is on Aug. 1st...
Same with my HKG - BNE. This potentially means no airlines will be offering itineraries from Europe to BNE/CNS for the whole month of July (QR flights end June 30th).
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:32 am

Danny from SCMP:

Hong Kong’s Cathay Dragon set for new CEO but flights may be limited to China: sources- Cathay Pacific will bring back a top-tier director role for cargo, the airline’s most valuable income stream amid the collapse in air travel

- Personnel announcements expected as early as next week

- CEO role at Cathay Dragon, however, would be downgraded from director level, giving it less prominence, sources said
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3087760/cathay-pacific-group-hong-kongs-cathay-dragon-set-new-ceo
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:13 am

CEO Augustus Tang said that CX has been losing $2.5 – $3B a month since February, which doesn't seem to add up considering they already lost $2B in February. Based on the fact that January–April loss was only $4.5B, the profit in January had to be $2.5B, which doesn't make sense... that's higher than the profit in 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.