Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 4:01 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mrparko
Dows anyone know if the one class upgrade still applies? I could not find such condition in the fine prints and when i searched for hkg-jfk econ upgrade to business i got a result.

i hope that means we can now buy M class and upgrade to business with miles.
Still only one class upgrades:

Upgrade and Airport Upgrade Awards are valid in eligible fare classes:
J, C, D, I (Business Class) for upgrades to First Class
W, R (Premium Economy Class) for upgrades to Business Class
Y, B, H, K, M (Economy Class) for upgrades to Premium Economy Class (for flights with Premium Economy Class)
Y, B, H, K, M (Economy Class) for upgrades to Business Class (for flights without Premium Economy Class only)
Old May 24, 2018, 4:45 am

Upgrade still applies but it makes more sense to redeem economy tickets under the new system. Just match my flying pattern and every amendment has winners and losers.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
No matter how you want to slice it,you just took a 15% haircut &you should be pissed

Miles, whether earned by flying or through credit card usage are a valuable commodity. While they may have the right to change the terms doesn’t mean they should. Also to give short notice on the changes is also a real kick.

All of this, combined with he changes three years ago and the overall decline in the delivered product is what bothers me the most. If J and F were getting better (as Emirates and SW continue to improve) I could maybe live with this. But, to increase the “price” while offering a deteriorating product means I will likely move my revenue business elsewhere, most likely to QR and AA.

As someone who has accumulated lots of miles this is no different than if the govt devalued the HKD. Luckily I have significant credit card points I can move into other programs so will end up doing that.
QRC3288, conde, G-CIVC and 3 others like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Just saw this on SCMP.com

Cathay Pacific?s Asia Miles shake-up means 80 per cent of flights will earn more in loyalty programme South China Morning Post

At least 80 per cent of flights on Hong Kong’s flagship airline will earn more air miles from next month as the loyalty programme for Cathay Pacific looks to counter criticism that rewards for journeys with the carrier pale in comparison to competitors.
The shake-up to Asia Miles is set to offer a major boost to Cathay Pacific and sister airline Cathay Dragon as the loss-making airlines struggle to remain competitive amid stiff competition from budget carriers.
The programme, a profit-generating subsidiary of Cathay Pacific Group, will also let customers redeem fewer miles to book many flights and will place 20 per cent more seats up for grabs.
The changes will affect some 10 million members of the reward scheme worldwide.
Stephen Wong See-yuen, chief executive of Asia Miles, described the reforms as proof that the programme was finally listening to customers and acting on persistent complaints.

Last edited by Hottub Cowboy; May 24, 2018 at 6:06 am
Old May 24, 2018, 5:52 am

1 question, do you think the new asia miles scheme is somewhat more similar to BA Avios?
Old May 24, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Not bad for me. Mainly between SYD-HKG which for 1-way did not change in miles. Intra-asia price drop is great news even though I have plenty of BA Avios to burn anyway.

Now I would be interested in the OW award chart to see if it is getting worse.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by synthkeys
Horrible for me as I frequently use PEY->J upgrade NY-HKG. Old RT rate was 45K now bumped to 70K, 55% increase. Bumped up earn rate on W/R class doesn't match. After I make DM this year, jumping to AA.

If you jump to AA, each roundtrip would net you about 24,200 EQMs and 3200 EQDs flying CX PEY fares.

4 roundtrips and you’re almost at EXP, just toss in a midcon turnaround and you’re there 😁

I made EXP last year with essentially 3 CX long hauls trips connecting through HKG in PEY.

Plus as a partner flight in PEY, you’d earn full 100% mileage plus elite bonus, so you’re no worse off than the previous distance based system.
Hottub Cowboy likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
For partner awards looks like economy class one way will go down while business and first one way will slightly increase
Old May 24, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Cathay Pacific is finally doing the right thing - attract price-sensitive economy travellers by vastly increasing the miles earned and make it worthwhile to redeem short-haul economy ticket for frequent travel. This is what a frequent-flyer programme should be. We fly cheap tickets frequently and redeem cheap flights frequently.
QRC3288 and HarbourGent like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:59 am

I feel like this is one of the saddest Thursday to wake up with after seeing this...

Massive Devaluation in Asia Miles! 3 Things You Must Know [AwardTravel.com]

1. Changes to flight award redemptions: devaluation for redemption of CX Business Class flights and even worse devaluations for redemption of oneworld flights
  2. Massive changes in how to earn miles, in a good way!
  3. The “1+1” award chart is no more, it’s being slated to be cancelled
Old May 24, 2018, 9:08 am

Where is the quote from? I got tons of Asia Miles. I'm rekt.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:09 am

To redeem a oneworld Multi-Carrier Award, the total Mileage Credits required to determine the award zone is the sum of the sector distance (between the origin airports and destination airports) of all sectors in the itinerary. The Member or Nominee can make a maximum of five stopovers. In addition, two transfers and two open-jaws are permitted.

So one world policy still looks good except miles increase?
Old May 24, 2018, 9:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by ecgz88
To redeem a oneworld Multi-Carrier Award, the total Mileage Credits required to determine the award zone is the sum of the sector distance (between the origin airports and destination airports) of all sectors in the itinerary. The Member or Nominee can make a maximum of five stopovers. In addition, two transfers and two open-jaws are permitted.

So one world policy still looks good except miles increase?
OW MC - no change in rules, just pricing.

For other award types, turnaround in originating point is now explicitly forbidden (following the previous arbitrage about combining HK-Japan and HK-Taiwan in one trip by maximizing the openjaw allowance), but such restriction is not imposed for OWMC. It's now a stronger argument if one ever runs into issues for that in the future.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I would say the OW redemption is still relatively cheap comparing to BA. Of course more miles could be accrued by flying with BA, but the earning rate is more less the same on CX flights.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
1 question, do you think the new asia miles scheme is somewhat more similar to BA Avios?
yes, they just make the numbers different

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.