Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
Don’t forget many GO and DM usually fly in J, at least as an outport MPC member, I’ve attained GO by flying J. But I do agree that HKM would’ve been much better than full-fare.
I'm not sure if a lot of above members would agree with you they fly in J....
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:25 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Just an observation. If you look at QF's FFP vs CX's, it's almost identical. With QF, the cheaper PEY fares earn the same points as the full fare economy. It seems CX hired the same consultants who revamped the QF FFP.

I'm ok with these changes at the moment. There's some good and some bad but that's with every program. Even AA will change and we can hear all the BMW (bi--- moan and whining) when that happens. I'm thankful CX didn't go the SQ or DL.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Daffie
Y might be a bit steep but like CrazyJ82 mention, offering V fares to every GO/DM was just too generous and CX was definitely leaving too much revenue on the table for too many years. They should made it a "devaluation" and made it into something along the lines of HKM.
Agree. Actually currently GSR in J and W are also limited to J/C and W only given there're 4 / 3 sub-fare classes there... For Y CX should consider to open up at least till K for GSR...

Originally Posted by gemini573
Just an observation. If you look at QF's FFP vs CX's, it's almost identical. With QF, the cheaper PEY fares earn the same points as the full fare economy. It seems CX hired the same consultants who revamped the QF FFP.
No need... Just based on the current pricing will yield the same results...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by d00t

I reverse engineered the program in a few hours and created my own calculator. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think: https://www.flyora.com/data/cathay-p...calculator.php
Good tool, thanks ^
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
Originally Posted by Daffie
Y might be a bit steep but like CrazyJ82 mention, offering V fares to every GO/DM was just too generous and CX was definitely leaving too much revenue on the table for too many years. They should made it a "devaluation" and made it into something along the lines of HKM.
It is hard to quantify how much revenue was left on the table for CX over the years. As an outport MPC member with (presumably) more discretion as to which airlines to fly, I see guarantee seat as a loss leader. At least for me, it is *the* benefit that has kept me loyal to CX despite the poor earn/burn rates and (arguably) deteriorating services, and has made me intentionally fly more to retain GO/DM throughout the years.

Also, given how little club points V tickets will get you under the new changes, I feel like it is already a "devaluation" of such benefit. You'd almost need to fly double the amount in V class after the changes to retain the same status! Making it along the lines of HKM sounds like a more reasonable change.

I reverse engineered the program in a few hours and created my own calculator. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think: https://www.flyora.com/data/cathay-p...calculator.php
Nice visualization on the changes - why does Q, N, S contributes towards status currently though?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
Don’t forget many GO and DM usually fly in J, at least as an outport MPC member, I’ve attained GO by flying J. But I do agree that HKM would’ve been much better than full-fare.
If V fare is too generous, why not L, M, or K fare? That would have made is less generous but still keep me flying CX. With Y, I will be looking for other airlines, even though my company is paying. Can't justify paying Y just for status.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
They have made some attempt... A portion of Silver's are being weeded out because the requirement to retain this status is now higher. Naturally the number of SL's clogging up the lounges will decrease; plus the fact that DM's are unable to use the lounge if flying another airline, this will eliminate another small portion of lounge patrons.
Don't think anyone mentioned this yet. Assuming they are starting to enforce requirement to maintain Green (used to be 4 sectors, but it hasn't been enforced for years), priority boarding lines should be shorter?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
You guys should be happy that CX did not go the way PPS went. And the new system is somewhere in between BA and QF.

Yes it is hard for Y flyers. But if you stick with CX, Y flyers are still having their benefits like lounge access. It is pity CX has not addressed the problem of the overflowing in its lounges yet. (Silver still has lounge access)

The real gain is to be able to earn miles on SQN! That is much better than before. The revamped programme is actually much better than many have anticipated. The guaranteed seats in Y is not a big issue really, especially for leisure travellers.

Overall, positive changes IMO. But I have abandoned CXMPC long time ago for QF and AA. So nothing for me really.
Don't think anyone mentioned this yet. Assuming they are starting to enforce requirement to maintain Green (used to be 4 sectors, but it hasn't been enforced for years), priority boarding lines should be shorter?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:19 pm

Nice tool. So the new program encourages flying lower Y fares (Q, N, S) as they now earn status points while devaluing those that are currently flying V or above fare. Not making much sense at all...I rather they keep the current V and above fare for status earning and not devalue them...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hermanc
yes, and its harder for some to maintain silver unless they are J flyers (which would get lounges anyway). so J lounge will be less full.

now, the question is exXXX I fares would be easier to reach diamond. some current DMs wont get DM. will we get more or less in F lounge? (I'll lose emerald coming march, so it might be coming out better for me)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
yes, and its harder for some to maintain silver unless they are J flyers (which would get lounges anyway). so J lounge will be less full.

now, the question is exXXX I fares would be easier to reach diamond. some current DMs wont get DM. will we get more or less in F lounge? (I'll lose emerald coming march, so it might be coming out better for me)
I would say there will be less "regional" DMs and more "long-haul" ones. Which in theory reduces F lounge traffic?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Almost every Economy and Premium Economy flight across the board has a devaluation in terms of status earning power. Premium economy devaluation is a surprise to many but there are a few sweet spots in the changes...

thanks! except for one small thing, the base for percentage change calcalations got mixed up (so we now have, say, from 30% to 15% of reaching silver status as a 100% change when in fact it is 50%)

and F to japan isnt in (esp tyo where there is F heehe)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: MPO DM (OWE); UA *G (*A G), HHonors Gold; KLM/AF Flying Blue
Did some calculations - my conclusion: Goodbye MPO. Welcome Finnair Plus!

I am a MPO DM at present not expiring until July 2016.

For my remaining flights for the rest of the year so far, I would be able to make Finnair Gold (OW Sapphire) comfortably, even when starting afresh by November this year.

For the same travels, I would not even make MPO Silver for the same travels, despite being on CX metal on almost all flights.

Farewell.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Almost every Economy and Premium Economy flight across the board has a devaluation in terms of status earning power. Premium economy devaluation is a surprise to many but there are a few sweet spots in the changes...

^^^

Nice work, and thanks for sharing.
Much more useful than the CX site for running comparisons.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I'm glad that I haven't been affected much. I fly ex-TPE in J for regional flights to PVG and KIX/HND (and I'm glad that PVG is in the same "distance" bracket as KIX/HND!). I redeem miles for my longhaul trips in J.

Maintaining status should not be a problem. It appears that they are almost encouraging ex-TPE fliers to continue!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.