Wiki Posts
Search

Help Needed on Refund

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Help Needed on Refund

Not sure if a new thread is appropriate - if not Mods please move. I purchased 2 business class tickets LAX - PEK - HKG/LAX for February 2022 with the sole purpose of
attending the Winter Olympics and spending 3 days in HK after. We had hotel reservations in Beijing ( Cancel anytime prior to 48 hours ). Our intention was to purchase event tickets once there - never a problem at previous Olympics we attended including 2008 Beijing. Prior to purchasing flights, I spoke to the Service Rep (LA I believe) who said that we would be able to get a refund with these tickets. Prior to our decision, it had been announced that spectators would be allowed to attend. Fast forward to last month and the Chinese announced that no foreigners would be allowed. I immediately applied for a full refund and was told that it would be the fare less $300 per fare rules. I attempted to discuss with Customer Service explaining that this is a direct result of Government mandate and not our fault - given same line "those are the rules" Reached out on Twitter and that was a total disaster - every direct message was answered with a request to repeat all of my details. Now totally frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions Thank you
Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
That's what travel insurance is for my pal

Unless it's a flight/entry ban, CX care less whether you're there to attend the Olympics or just to meet a friend.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:41 am

When is your flight n flight number ?

I suggest that you just wait for CX to cancel one of the sector.
patrickw likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
That's what travel insurance is for my pal

Unless it's a flight/entry ban, CX care less whether you're there to attend the Olympics or just to meet a friend.
Or be are there on a government invitation, or even maybe have a China passport.

Oh, USD 300 per ticket is significantly less, than the whole trip, including the stay would have cost.

You can always wait until the day of flight, and see, whether CX (or other airline, when applicable) does cancel at their own initiative, in which case, you get a full refund. Given the China way in handling the back to normal of the Covid-19 situation, it is quite likely, most flights into china will be canceled for the more than foreseeable future. Let alone, IF one segment of your itinerary is moved or canceled, you can apply, etc. Keep in mind, February is mid-winter in China, and it is highly likely, Covid-19 will see significant flair-ups in the Northern Hemisphere, including China, which in turn significantly increases the chances China will panic-close the country even further. This patiently "waiting" is the option, I would choose.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help I will patiently wait for them to cancel
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:09 am
Original Poster

And they finally did cancel my flights. Thank you all for your wisdom
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:41 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Now let's see how long they take to issue you a refund. I have been waiting now 9 weeks for a the refund of a CX cancelled flight.
I have called them , and they are "working on it". I know they are hurting, but their call center incompetence does not help them
I am sorry to see them in this situation, my company flew with them from the US to Manila multiple times a year and we had several diamond members,
We have decided to switch to ANA.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by traveler18
Now let's see how long they take to issue you a refund. I have been waiting now 9 weeks for a the refund of a CX cancelled flight.
I have called them , and they are "working on it". I know they are hurting, but their call center incompetence does not help them
I am sorry to see them in this situation, my company flew with them from the US to Manila multiple times a year and we had several diamond members,
TBH: Give them a break. CX has practically been about the only airline refunding cash for cash tickets. So, yeah, I think, this does deserve credit and future business. In the end, all these cancellations aren't their fault.
Sozee likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cambo
TBH: Give them a break. CX has practically been about the only airline refunding cash for cash tickets. So, yeah, I think, this does deserve credit and future business. In the end, all these cancellations aren't their fault.
Many airlines (most but not all) are giving the option of full cash refund when they cancel. QR even gives the option if you simply wish to change your travel plans although flight is not cancelled.
Airlines might offer additional options (like vouchers or vouchers plus 10%), but cash refund is a possibility.for cancelled flights.

As mentioned with QR, in covid times quite a few airlines give you flexibility or vouchers if you wish to change your booking for a non-cancelled flight. Guaranteed flexibility is a strong marketing argument for new bookings in these troubled times.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Many airlines (most but not all) are giving the option of full cash refund when they cancel. QR even gives the option if you simply wish to change your travel plans although flight is not cancelled.
Airlines might offer additional options (like vouchers or vouchers plus 10%), but cash refund is a possibility.for cancelled flights.

As mentioned with QR, in covid times quite a few airlines give you flexibility or vouchers if you wish to change your booking for a non-cancelled flight. Guaranteed flexibility is a strong marketing argument for new bookings in these troubled times.
Flexibility: Yep. Without flexibility, nobody is going to book, so the airlines did have to do so. And even then, they try to cheat on the passengers.

Refunds: See the outcries on FT, most airlines did draw those refunds out for nearly 2 years, until they did end up in court, etc.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by traveler18
What made your company switch to ANA instead of JAL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.