Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore - Hong Kong travel bubble

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by garykung
IMHO - everything is basically BS when Hong Kong can't convince Macau and/or the Mainland to open their door and Singapore is still limiting Malaysia traffic.
I thought there is no movement restriction between Mainland and Macau, by extention that if Macau allows free movement from Hong Kong, Mainland will have to restrict movement from/to Macau.

Unless Hong Kong goes extremely like Macau, free movement between Hong Kong and Mainland is not going to happen. China has a more important domestic market than Mainland-Hong Kong market.

Have you seen latest number from Malaysia? I am surpised that Singapore has not limited movement from/to Malaysia.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
most likely 2 tests per direction. beats 14-day quarantine both ways.
Expensive though, at SGD200 a pop!

Also I don't quite see the value (obsession?) of a done 24 hours prior to departure AND another test done immediately on arrival. Like the probability of being infected between the two tests is high?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice

Also I don't quite see the value (obsession?) of a done 24 hours prior to departure AND another test done immediately on arrival. Like the probability of being infected between the two tests is high?
more about that one does not trust tests from the counter-party 100%.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:35 am

IMHO - everything is basically BS when Hong Kong can't convince Macau and/or the Mainland to open their door and Singapore is still limiting Malaysia traffic.
Why would you say that? There is a LOT of pent up demand from people who crave travel between SIN and HKG. If there is a city pair that would move the needle for SIN, this would be it.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:37 am

more about that one does not trust tests from the counter-party 100%.
But the ability / agreeing to trust the administered test of the other country is why each party has agreed to the travel bubble in the first place, no?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:40 am

But the ability / agreeing to trust the administered test of the other country is why each party has agreed to the travel bubble in the first place, no?
IMO the agreement is more to trust each other's regime, not specifically about the test for pre-departure or post-arrival.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE)

Tests won't tell you that you're positive right after you're infected anyway, so the second test will be more reliable to check that you haven't been infected before your departure.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Finally one piece of good news, even if mostly symbolic.
I would not mind having my nose searched a few times just to enjoy a long week-end away from Gold Coast resort and the like.
CX share price gained 10% on the news.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...el-bubble-plan
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I thought there is no movement restriction between Mainland and Macau, by extention that if Macau allows free movement from Hong Kong, Mainland will have to restrict movement from/to Macau.
It is still a practical ban. Macau requires negative test results within 7 days from in and out from Macau. Given Mainlanders can stay in Macau 7 days maximum usually, these obstacles are making things impossible.

Why would you say that? There is a LOT of pent up demand from people who crave travel between SIN and HKG. If there is a city pair that would move the needle for SIN, this would be it.
Believe me - the demand to Macau and/or Mainland is definitely larger than Singapore. For example, in a usual non-COVID-19 month, passenger traffic at Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal was 20% of HKG. But the Terminal only serves Macau and locations within Canton, and HKG serves worldwide locations. Also - it is relatively easier to open Macau and/or Mainland, as they are all within a sovereign.

There is a reason why TurboJET and/or Cotai Water Jet used to run every 15-20 minutes.

Should this be finalized, Singapore would be in high demand if this can be finalized (as Hong Kong residents can't go elsewhere other than Singapore).

If Macau has opened to Hong Kong, Hong Kong residents would have done their staycation in Macau or Mainland instead of Hong Kong.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:14 am

Lots of questions yet unanswered:
​​​​​​https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-travel-bubble

Does one need to do one or two PCR tests per journey - meaning if SIN-HKG, does one do it once before departure at SIN and a second time shortly after arrival at HKG? Seems the obsession to test is key to not having quarantine.
Before getting to the airport (probably within 72 hours of departure), you need to take a test and get a report, and when you arrive, probably you will get one more test. The HK government hints that they may ask these travel bubble travelers to take a 15-minute rapid test, instead of the regular test which may have passengers waited for 8-12 hours.

It is previously reported that CX HKG-SIN crew would trial on this rapid test method and health officials would evaluated this method: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...rapid-covid-19
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:43 am

Believe me - the demand to Macau and/or Mainland is definitely larger than Singapore. For example, in a usual non-COVID-19 month, passenger traffic at Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal was 20% of HKG. But the Terminal only serves Macau and locations within Canton, and HKG serves worldwide locations. Also - it is relatively easier to open Macau and/or Mainland, as they are all within a sovereign.

There is a reason why TurboJET and/or Cotai Water Jet used to run every 15-20 minutes.

Should this be finalized, Singapore would be in high demand if this can be finalized (as Hong Kong residents can't go elsewhere other than Singapore).

If Macau has opened to Hong Kong, Hong Kong residents would have done their staycation in Macau or Mainland instead of Hong Kong.
you just stated the obvious reason why mainland would not open to Hong Kong. There is a larger market for Hong Kong to Mainland, but for Mainland, domestic market is much larger than Hong Kong. Will Mainland risk domestic market for Hong Kong?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
This ticket is gonna be expensive for sure since you'll have to pay for the numerous tests as well as the air ticket (which isn't the usual pricing).
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by lcpteck
This ticket is gonna be expensive for sure since you'll have to pay for the numerous tests as well as the air ticket (which isn't the usual pricing).
Noting that after a year of very limited travel most people wouldn't be very price sensitive. Whilst I probably couldn't stomach a first class ticket I am very willing to be gouged on a business class ticket from CX (sorry SQ!), typically on this route I'd happily do economy due to the combination of short flight, quality planes and on-time departures, but now it would be the equivalent of a staycation - unnecessary but fun. Bring on those increased departures!
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:47 pm

Slightly digressing. I'm SIN based and planning to get to HKG as soon as these designated flights open for booking. Not so much because I want to visit Hong Kong (albeit a rather nice change of scene having been "cooped up" in Singapore for so long) but I've some personal errands to attend to, which largely have been put on hold due to COVID.

Are there any local sites (preferably not in Cantonese) that advertise great Hong Kong staycation deals? I can go to the usual websites of the hotel chains and OTAs... but from personal experience some of the best prices aren't advertised through these channels, but rather publicised through local websites or picked up by local blogs. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Noting that after a year of very limited travel most people wouldn't be very price sensitive. Whilst I probably couldn't stomach a first class ticket I am very willing to be gouged on a business class ticket from CX (sorry SQ!)
I balked at HKD20K for HKG-SIN roundtrip, which is what CX business class is now pricing at since the announcement! I remember almost a decade back, MH was advertising that for HKG-KUL-LHR roundtrip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.