Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:04 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by pointsifu
Will the reissued ticket carry a new one year expiration date after paying the change fee?
Yes
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by afmiami
I really don't understand their logic in releasing award space. For example looking this Saturday August 4, HKG-SFO CX872 shows F3A3 on expert flyer, and a search on AsiaMiles shows "flight is fully booked and not available for waitlist" . For Sunday August 5th, also F3A3, wait-listing is possible. Nothing available on BA obviously
actually nothing nefarious there. its a limitation of their IT and always been that way.
wait lists close 3 or 4 days before departure IIRC so it has closed for the 4 aug flight - what you are seeing is nothing new.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:24 pm

So, question: why would AUS-LHR on BA be 50K miles? It is under 5,000 miles so it seems like it should be 45K. And I can't find any other published chart that would seem to correspond with the 50K price.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen
actually nothing nefarious there. its a limitation of their IT and always been that way.
wait lists close 3 or 4 days before departure IIRC so it has closed for the 4 aug flight - what you are seeing is nothing new.
Not always been that way https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...d-flights.html

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 1, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by afmiami
I really don't understand their logic in releasing award space. For example looking this Saturday August 4, HKG-SFO CX872 shows F3A3 on expert flyer, and a search on AsiaMiles shows "flight is fully booked and not available for waitlist" . For Sunday August 5th, also F3A3, wait-listing is possible. Nothing available on BA obviously
Maybe lower cabins are more sold out? If they have oversold the entire flight, they won't release any seats as they need to op-up people to avoid IDB.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by focusonskills
I just booked TPE-HKG-LHR which is not available as HKG-LHR on BAEC. Called BAEC to drop the first segment. Got a very helpful agent who tried 30 minutes but failed to drop the first segment. He said dropping sectors should normally be possible but this one cannot be done. He even called CX and was told the segments are married and cannot be dropped. In the end he cancelled the booking for me.
Thank you for posting the real life data when there are still many nonbelievers that the married segments can NOT be booked by BA, AS and QF. Also if not ticketed by AA before dropping a segment, the reservation is canceled by CX citing the availability is not for the routing. Have not read about more DPs on successful dropping segments AFTER ticketing by AA, except a suggestion by the bloggers. Also CX has obviously never got back to one blogger who claimed he reached out to CX for an explanation. Obviously he has not gotten any reply because so far it has been over a few weeks now and there is not a single follow up article on the topic.

On a slightly better news, I have seen some return of EU-HKG routes, and even some HKG-ADL for travel period a few months out.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
So in hindsight, the "devaluation" was merely a cover for cutting availability massively on flights originating or ending in Hong Kong.
sxc, Nicc HK, percysmith and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Something odd I noticed with married segments. This is using Avios, but it is CX related.

On some days I searched, HKG-BKK no availability came up. But if I searched TPE-HKG-BKK, there is availability, but also the RJ HKG-BKK flight becomes available.

So the presence of the TPE CX sector makes RJ available whereas it wasn’t available on its own when only searching HKG-BKK.

This is is very strange.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Originally Posted by sxc
Something odd I noticed with married segments. This is using Avios, but it is CX related.

On some days I searched, HKG-BKK no availability came up. But if I searched TPE-HKG-BKK, there is availability, but also the RJ HKG-BKK flight becomes available.

So the presence of the TPE CX sector makes RJ available whereas it wasn’t available on its own when only searching HKG-BKK.

This is is very strange.
Yes I noticed the same thing with some MH flights too. So it may not be a CX issue after all?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Originally Posted by toplayer
Yes I noticed the same thing with some MH flights too. So it may not be a CX issue after all?
I'm not totally convinced. If this is a BAEC CX+anybody issue then attempting to search the redemption in QF FF should fix the issue.

From above reports it does not

Could @sxc please give me RJ dates and @toplayer please give me MH dates and I'll try replicating the searches in QF FF pls?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm not totally convinced. If this is a BAEC CX+anybody issue then attempting to search the redemption in QF FF should fix the issue.

From above reports it does not

Could @sxc please give me RJ dates and @toplayer please give me MH dates and I'll try replicating the searches in QF FF pls?
Quick example :

4 Jan, KUL-HKG. Only 1 J seat on each of the 3 MH flights show up.
Same day, KUL-TPE. You can see up to 5 J seats on the MH flights for KUL-HKG leg. (Plus all the CX/KA options but we are not talking about that here.)
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toplayer
Quick example :

4 Jan, KUL-HKG. Only 1 J seat on each of the 3 MH flights show up.
Same day, KUL-TPE. You can see up to 5 J seats on the MH flights for KUL-HKG leg. (Plus all the CX/KA options but we are not talking about that here.)
Qantas also only sees one J kul-Hkg-tpe
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith

Qantas also only sees one J kul-Hkg-tpe
What does this mean? As in, what does the QF search compared to the others mean?

for my example I was checking Aug 18 TPE-HKG-BKK
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
How long are waitlisted flights taking to clear?

I did a search and apologies if this has been asked before.

Under the new system does anyone know how long are waitlisted flights taking to clear?

I have managed to get a return to Manila for my maid in December in PEY but waitlisted, and am just now realising I should have asked this question here before booking! One thing I just noticed the confirmation email is taking some time to come through.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by Nicc HK; Aug 3, 2018 at 2:29 am Reason: English
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I did a search and apologies if this has been asked before.

Under the new system does anyone know how long are waitlisted flights taking to clear?

I have managed to get a return to Manila for my maid in December in PEY but waitlisted, and am just now realising I should have asked this question here before booking! One thing I just noticed the confirmation email is taking some time to come through.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Hi Nicc,

The answer is how long's a piece of string?

The waitlist could never clear, it depends on how busy the flight is now or later. If it's full in premium econ now or later, then the waitlist simply won't clear. If they are not selling many premium econ seats on that flight, then they could clear the waitlist between now and the deadline, but there's no certainty it will clear. Waitlists are a good idea, but they are also a gamble. Plus between now and the deadline, the prices for buying the ticket with cash will generally increase as the availability further decreases.

Is economy not available, or you just want to treat her to premium econ? Very nice of you if so! What date is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.