Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adelaidefc
Yep sorry I was only using the route as an example - the OW multi-carrier is still incredible value on Asia Miles IMHO, especially given the various tiers of miles available at different costs.
They can just be really tricky to pull together though especially from my home airport (Canberra). For example trying to book the very first leg once (CBR-BNE-NRT) the attendant on my phone call refused to let me book an available Y Qantas flight to BNE and then the also available BNE-NRT in J. No idea, I tried twice. Unless that whole leg was available in J from CBR they wouldn't book the connecting segments.

I really just wanted to clarify that the regular awards are now only of use in very limited circumstances for me personally. I would have to take a separate flight to/from another Australian port just to have a chance of getting anywhere except Asia and West Coast US (and availability on that route is brutal).
Given the value of the multi-carrier that's probably where I'll be spending my miles.
Can you do a cheap positioning flight to get to where the CX gateway is? That might be a small cost to pay when you look at the big scheme of things.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Can you do a cheap positioning flight to get to where the CX gateway is? That might be a small cost to pay when you look at the big scheme of things.
That's definitely an option I've looked at. Sydney is only 3hrs bus away too if I couldn't find a cheap flight. But given that most of what I'll want to do is extra long-haul (7500+ miles), and the return points requirement for that is 180k points (190k on a partner airline), it's so comparable to the 20000-25000km OW Multi-carrier (at 185k points) it makes more sense to try make the effort to pull one of those together instead.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adelaidefc
That's definitely an option I've looked at. Sydney is only 3hrs bus away too if I couldn't find a cheap flight. But given that most of what I'll want to do is extra long-haul (7500+ miles), and the return points requirement for that is 180k points (190k on a partner airline), it's so comparable to the 20000-25000km OW Multi-carrier (at 185k points) it makes more sense to try make the effort to pull one of those together instead.
True. The OW option is more appealing and would give you much more in return of the point cost, Definitely worth the effort to pull it off,
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Has anyone successfully ticketed a "false" one-way award? I.e. JFK-HKG-LAX for 85,000AM in J. Wondering if they actually allow such itineraries.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by AJ747M
Has anyone successfully ticketed a "false" one-way award? I.e. JFK-HKG-LAX for 85,000AM in J. Wondering if they actually allow such itineraries.
No, you can’t do one way back to the same country.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by pointsifu

No, you can’t do one way back to the same country.
Ok. Would HKG-LAX-NRT be possible then?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:18 am

no backtracking is allowed in award redemption typically.

if it is, it would have been chaotic.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:11 am

yes, but you would have to use AA and issue as a partner award. JAL can’t be included in a one-way award.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: JMB Sapphire, OneWorld Sapphire
Hi! First time using expertflyer. Any chance CX will release economy awards? This one looks pretty empty

Also, which class fare do you usually look for award tickets? So confused which one is for award tickets.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by abielp
Hi! First time using expertflyer. Any chance CX will release economy awards? This one looks pretty empty

Also, which class fare do you usually look for award tickets? So confused which one is for award tickets.
Far to far out to draw any conclusion from that data. Not to say, until the end of october seems to be high season and even the el--cheapo tickets seem to be sold out (I had to move my travel dates a little further out, now starting on Oct 31).
abielp likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

my experience is that if Q class is available closed in - like 3 days or less to departure, theres a very good chance of a standard award opening up. but thats the risk - you only know close in.

assume you want to go from MNL to HKG on that date? I checked on BA (because sometimes BA has more connecting availability on CX than AM!), theres a direct JL742 available in Y, PE, J and an earlier JL746 in J wide open! need to call AM to book (unsure how many pts needed though)!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: JMB Sapphire, OneWorld Sapphire
Originally Posted by ermen
my experience is that if Q class is available closed in - like 3 days or less to departure, theres a very good chance of a standard award opening up. but thats the risk - you only know close in.

assume you want to go from MNL to HKG on that date? I checked on BA (because sometimes BA has more connecting availability on CX than AM!), theres a direct JL742 available in Y, PE, J and an earlier JL746 in J wide open! need to call AM to book (unsure how many pts needed though)!
Im looking at booking one way MNL-HKG-NRT since im planning to exit via KIX-HKG-NRT so round trip partner awards is currently 2nd option. Does BA have the same data with AlaskaMiles website?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Im looking at booking one way MNL-HKG-NRT since im planning to exit via KIX-HKG-NRT so round trip partner awards is currently 2nd option. Does BA have the same data with AlaskaMiles website?
understood.

AS sees less CX inventory. Not sure about JL though.

​​​
abielp likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: CX GO, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, World of Hyatt Globalist & M life Gold
wink please
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:31 am

Is really difficult to find seats with Cathay now. I am literally throwing wait list everywhere for just 1 travel.

Is just annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.