Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: CX AY DL
Married segment issue - standalone NRT-HKG is unavailable for economy standard but NRT-HKG-CAN is...in late August
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Surely someone knows someone at CX who can answer this? It's not like it is revealing secret information or anything? It's been over a month and still zero transparency, zero answers. CX is more and more acting like a ME3 or Mainland carrier.
10 days ago Lucky said he was going to reach out to Cathay to try and get some answers, no follow-up post yet though
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm trying to do a simple HKG-BKK-HKG r/t...the week I am looking at has married segment logic, the two weeks before do not. Beyond frustrating.

Any word yet if this is a bug or a feature?
There was a report that someone called in and the agent was able to find unmarried segments where the website only showed married. It is worth a shot.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
There was a report that someone called in and the agent was able to find unmarried segments where the website only showed married. It is worth a shot.
My problem is that I wouldn't be using AM for these...trying to replace my CX flights already booked via BA with this fun new stash of IB Avios
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
My problem is that I wouldn't be using AM for these...trying to replace my CX flights already booked via BA with this fun new stash of IB Avios
Ah, that is more challenging. There were reports on a blog that using AA miles you could hold a CX married segment award and call to drop one of the married segments before ticketing. It's a slim chance but you might try calling IB to see if they can do something similar.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
i tried to call BA to drop a married segement sector.
they couldnt do it.
but tried only once.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Ah, that is more challenging. There were reports on a blog that using AA miles you could hold a CX married segment award and call to drop one of the married segments before ticketing. It's a slim chance but you might try calling IB to see if they can do something similar.
The lone DP I saw, the poster said the reservation stuck in On Request for 3 days after he was able to drop the segment before ticketing. Then the reservation was canceled by CX, guess why? Because the availability only Read Morewas on married segment.
So one has to ticket it first, then goes thru the AA agent roulette to find an agent who know the rules and how to drop the last / first segment without having to cancel or charge a change fee.

Challenging indeed.

Plus it would be impossible with either Avios or AS miles.

It is a very effective way to prevent revenue leak to partner awards, but to prevent your own FFP members to book unless it is a married segment, esp the majority of them are HKG based? That is beyond nasty.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:54 pm

I vaguely recall hearing somewhere that the reservation system has different types of married segments. The old style can be broken at will by an agent who knows how to do it and has access to a system that allows it, and there are some newer style lifetime marriages that cannot be broken (I would guess except possibly for the airlines own senior staff). Since a competent AA agent was able to unmarry the segments it seems CX is using the breakable marriages, or at least they were.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:20 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Happy
The lone DP I saw, the poster said the reservation stuck in On Request for 3 days after he was able to drop the segment before ticketing. Then the reservation was canceled by CX, guess why? Because the availability only Read Morewas on married segment.
So one has to ticket it first, then goes thru the AA agent roulette to find an agent who know the rules and how to drop the last / first segment without having to cancel or charge a change fee.

Challenging indeed.

Plus it would be impossible with either Avios or AS miles.

It is a very effective way to prevent revenue leak to partner awards, but to prevent your own FFP members to book unless it is a married segment, esp the majority of them are HKG based? That is beyond nasty.
The thing is - married segment redemptions are probably going to favour partner programs as most of those people will be originating from outside of HK.

I still cant believe that Asia Miles would be limiting so much availability to married segments and removing so much ex-HKG availability. Maybe this is the way they have been able to declare 20% increase in availability. But I still feel there’s some system problem, but it shouldn’t take this long to sort out.
toplayer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
I am finding that CX is releasing Economy Standards awards O&D between HKG - South East Asian destinations close in (like 3-4 days in), if there is Q class availability.

Doesn't help if you need to plan far ahead... but at least managed to snag some for 10k miles
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:35 am
wkc

Originally Posted by fishball
Married segment issue - standalone NRT-HKG is unavailable for economy standard but NRT-HKG-CAN is...in late August
I am seeing this behaviour in the opposite direction for November. Except that CAN-HKG-NRT is immediately bookable with Avios, while for Asia Miles it requires waitlisting.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Just checking SYD-HKG availability in August. The award seats are available but the taxes and surcharges are around 2362HKG or $420AUD each person for return ticket, which seems very high considering that a cash Y return around those dates is about 700-800AUD, or if flying VA it is like $600AUD in cash.

Has CX recently increased taxes and surcharges significantly? Or I just haven't used CXAM to redeem miles too long?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA
Something else seems to be broken now, routes with multiple segments can't even be searched. I tried KUL-JFK, SIN-JFK, JFK-SIN, JFK-KUL. Either the option for the airline (Cathay, sometimes American) isn't even available or it gives the error "this route isn't eligible for Asia Miles redemptions"

The individual segments eg. SIN-HKG HKG-JFK work fine and gets results. I guess I'lll wait it out...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Just checking SYD-HKG availability in August. The award seats are available but the taxes and surcharges are around 2362HKG or $420AUD each person for return ticket, which seems very high considering that a cash Y return around those dates is about 700-800AUD, or if flying VA it is like $600AUD in cash.

Has CX recently increased taxes and surcharges significantly? Or I just haven't used CXAM to redeem miles too long?
yes if you start a trip from outside, but exhkg you get low taxes cuz its suppressed by hkcad
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:53 pm

the married segment is driving me mad.

in asiamiles, i can see 2 F zrh-hkg.
in BA, when I search zrh-hkg is not available, but if i search zrh-tpe, it will return zrh-hkg-tpe with the 2 available F seats!

I believe this is how asiamiles is doing now so they can claim the 20% more seats for their own members, by doing so they are eliminating the partners like alaska/airchina's redemption, since they can only get to hkg, and that direct to hkg is not visible in the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.