Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Stay tuned for exciting updates to our programme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay tuned for exciting updates to our programme

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
ironically, I have a different experience but may be a different customer.

CX and JAL offer nearly identical pricing on the morning flights I prefer, although if one is more expensive it's CX, not JAL.
My house is closer to NRT so I usually take NRT flights. JL and NH always charge more than CX for NRT-HKG, I thought HND-HKG is the same, sorry for my mistake.

Anyway, I agree that the MPC points system is quite unfair for J travelers.J charges about triple of economy but only gets double points. There are more "bugs" in the program that do not reward customers who paid more. For example JL HND-OKA discounted J costs half of CX booking class V NRT-HKG, but both of them earn 20 MPC points and it does not reward customers who actually pay money to CX.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Suddenly had a flashback from my high school days. Perhaps some of our fellow FTers were DM back in the 1990's and can verify.

According to my recollection, back in the 1990's, once you reached DM, it was valid for a period of 3 years. It was then changed to 1 year.

The MPO magazine said that the reason was that many DM stopped flying CX once they requalified for DM, but could use the DM benefits for the remainder of the 3 years. CX did not like that, so they changed DM to 1 year (in line with SL/GO).

Perhaps CX could reconsider bringing back the 3-year validity for those who, say, reach a certain number of club points in a year? Say if you're DM already and reach 3000 CP in one year, you can keep DM for 3 years? (I have no idea if 3000 CP in one year is actually feasible or humanely possible).

This can be a solution if CX is reluctant to give away lifetime status as there's a limit to how long a person can get "free" status for.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
oh my! ONE WAY?!
I fly FOC-HKG-SIN at least 5 times, round trip, I fare every year.

With CX, I got 400 CP, which even not make me get qualified for GO, or OWS.

However, if I choose QF, I could get 1200 SC, which nearly get me to QF Plat, or OWE, not including the 4 qualification segment and some short MR.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by CX30616
I fly FOC-HKG-SIN at least 5 times, round trip, I fare every year.

With CX, I got 400 CP, which even not make me get qualified for GO, or OWS.

However, if I choose QF, I could get 1200 SC, which nearly get me to QF Plat, or OWE, not including the 4 qualification segment and some short MR.
I think we had seen a number of examples on this - basically MPC rules penalize/reward certain travel patterns. Unless MPC is changed to dollar-by-dollar and miles/segments requirements like AA's (even so the partner table is still vulnerable), this will persist. The current system is like BA, and I could not imagine MPC being even easier than BAEC in terms of getting OWE.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
What will you all think if I class gets cut but J/C/(maybe D) gets rewarded more?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:10 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
What will you all think if I class gets cut but J/C/(maybe D) gets rewarded more?
then its byebye DM for me.

How about V and higher economy/PEY classes gets rewarded +5 SH and +10 LH.

35 for a 5000+ mile flight in M class just screams "screw you Y flyers".
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by mxr

I agree. As I am based in Taiwan, right now for flights within 750 miles I earn 5 TPs whether I book M, L, V, or S, N, Q class, and for intra-East Asia destinations there is a huge difference between Q and V class fare. I have little incentive to book V when Q earns the same or similar number of TPs. I only have the incentive to book V for long-haul flights.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Suddenly had a flashback from my high school days. Perhaps some of our fellow FTers were DM back in the 1990's and can verify.

According to my recollection, back in the 1990's, once you reached DM, it was valid for a period of 3 years. It was then changed to 1 year.
You are correct. DM was 3-year validity once you made it. It made sense to move it to 1-year when DM was not that hard to get if you are a frequent elite traveler (or really frequent Y traveler).

However, with the new points system, DM is that much harder to earn. I think it makes sense to bring back 2-years validity (as some airlines have for their top tier), as it's not realistic to expect most elite FFP to have travel so much to qualify for 1200 points.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by mxr

The problem with their points system is that no matter how they adjust the points, there will be losers somewhere.

The best way is still based on miles or sectors, with bonus miles/sectors offer for people buying higher fares. Cathay just need to adjust the bonus miles/sectors tables more aggressively, to entice people paying V fare instead of Q fare, K fare instead of V fare, R fare instead of E fare, D fare instead of I fare, etc.

However they adjust the points system, the nature of the 1200-diamond threshold just limits how much liberty they have to give more points to lower fares (which brings them back to the original problem, DM are too easily made by lower-fare flyers).

Finally, the best system in the world won't work if the fares aren't there. My team always complain a simple HKG-TPE it's either Q fare or K fare. For me too often the only C class fare I can buy are J or C, never D, I. Often the seats are open, but the fares are not. Cathay rather the C class be half-empty rather than selling D, I fares?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
. Cathay rather the C class be half-empty rather than selling D, I fares?
this is exactly the problem. if they priced I or D ex hkg FAIRLY for quality (or lack of quality, rather) there is more people who would pay up. instead they choose to sell N or Q fares and eventually op up bunch of people....
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Let's continue discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...c-17-cxka.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.