Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New MPC club points chart effective 8 Dec 17 for CXKA

Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...club-news.html

*Basically, CX gives you more points for short-haul flights across the board. This is probably where CX faces the most competition from budget airlines. For long-haul, only Y and PEY will earn more points, no change for J/F which is disappointing.

Our core philosophy at the Marco Polo Club is to offer a premium travel experience and personal recognition to our valued members.

We continue to improve our offerings to ensure that the club evolves to meet members’ travel needs. In response to recent feedback, we are announcing greater rewards with the following adjustments to our programme.

More club points everywhere we fly
For flights departing from 8 December 2017 onward, you'll earn more club points on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon flights across all distance zones in selected fare classes.* Whatever your next milestone – renewal, upgrade or mid-tier benefit – it will be easier to reach, so you can continue to enjoy a range of privileges and benefits.

What does this mean for you?
• If you fly regional within Asia, there will be an additional 5 to 10 club points per sector across most fare classes in all cabins – Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First. This includes ultra-short and short-haul flights from Hong Kong to such popular destinations as Taipei, Shanghai and Tokyo.

• If you fly long-haul and ultra-long-haul routes in Economy and Premium Economy, you'll earn an additional 10 to 15 club points per sector. That includes flights from Hong Kong to London, Los Angeles and New York – plus our newest destinations to begin next year, including Dublin, Copenhagen and Brussels.

• If you fly Economy low-fare classes (S, N, Q), you'll earn an additional 5 to 20 club points per sector on most routes.
The way you earn club points and your tier privileges will stay the same – except you'll earn more. To view the new club points earning grid, and to calculate how many more club points you'll earn after the changes, please visit our website.

Last edited by leungti1; Nov 2, 2017 at 7:27 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_..._TERM=CONTENT1

Gotta admit that I am quite disappointed as the 'hosed' ports remain hosed (TLV, LAX...etc)

and there will just be swelling of elites again given GR renewal reduced to 20 from 100 and easier and easier ex-China I-fare accrual (china-HKG-sin gets 120 cp under new system, for fares around 600 USD up!)

As for long haul banding, CX continues to refuse to award more CP to E class over YBHK, but lower fare buckets SNQ now get increasing CP according to distance rather than just 5 or 10 only under old system.

Looks like no devaluation for partner flying like MH or QR
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I love the new changes! I do a lot of intra-Asia flights so it works well for me. I used to do sectors which normally takes a 11-12 months to hit the 80 Sector mark. With the current I could normally do it in 10-11 months. Now it looks like I can finish in under 10.

Im still not sure if I will do the mid tier bonuses though.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
is AMEX CX card devalued if the threshold for green is now so low hmm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Yes, I am not impressed much. Keeping band 2 at a wide range of 750-2750 is still just beyond me. Since ex-China I fare to SIN can be bought for 600 usd up, essentially it will now take only 6000 (or less than 50k HKD) to renew DM for those determined.

R fare going up is not bad for the 2 long haul bands, however. Although its true E and YBHK remain the same, they both get upped. east coast based students flying expensive Y may have a shot at SL again, I guess this makes them happy (same logic applies for leisure flyer).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
More club points everywhere we fly
For flights departing from 8 December 2017 onward, you'll earn more club points on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon flights across all distance zones in selected fare classes.*
More club points everywhere! But only for some of you. Corporate speak craftmanship at its best.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by fishball
is AMEX CX card devalued if the threshold for green is now so low hmm
green is Mr. nobody to start. the way i see AMEX CX card is offering the mr nobody status in first place so it's not devaluing, it's not offering anything in first place.

after all the "stay tuned" .. THIS is all they came up with? I mean seriously
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
GR should not have any benefits IMO.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:47 pm

Hmm...if we purchase and fly on an S/N/Q fare now, but retroactively claim for the flight only after 08.Dec, I wonder if we will get the higher Club Points.

After all, crediting to the MPC program has always been based on credit date instead of actual flight date.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Hmm...if we purchase and fly on an S/N/Q fare now, but retroactively claim for the flight only after 08.Dec, I wonder if we will get the higher Club Points.

After all, crediting to the MPC program has always been based on credit date instead of actual flight date.
Good thinking
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:03 pm

So my 5 round trips CHINA-HKG-SIN in I fare give me 500 CP vs 1200 SC in QF now (instead of 400 CP before)? Huh, that's 'great' improvement. And the threshold of GR decreased to 20 CP, hmmmm that's great as I will not waste 100 usd I paid few years ago until MPC changed its mind

Last edited by CX30616; Nov 2, 2017 at 8:09 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by ermen
GR should not have any benefits IMO.
People paid 100 usd to enroll so it must be some benefit for them to choose MPC to start.

Last edited by CX30616; Nov 2, 2017 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_..._TERM=CONTENT1

Gotta admit that I am quite disappointed as the 'hosed' ports remain hosed (TLV, LAX...etc)

and there will just be swelling of elites again given GR renewal reduced to 20 from 100 and easier and easier ex-China I-fare accrual (china-HKG-sin gets 120 cp under new system, for fares around 600 USD up!)

As for long haul banding, CX continues to refuse to award more CP to E class over YBHK, but lower fare buckets SNQ now get increasing CP according to distance rather than just 5 or 10 only under old system.

Looks like no devaluation for partner flying like MH or QR
Unfortunately, I fare only gets 5 CP increase for 0-2500 miles, so it's 100 CP instead of 120 CP.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CX30616
Unfortunately, I fare only gets 5 CP increase for 0-2500 miles, so it's 100 CP instead of 120 CP.
I mean Chinese ports over 750mi in distance. You can get I fare out of these ports to Singa for a rate of US$6/cp (now, US$5. KMG, although at lower band, could be even lower than that it seems)

Make your pick everyone. Do we want more PRC based flyers in the Pier F, or grAAbbers and grASbbers? Well, at least the former is contributing to revenue...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Looks like CX is taking card of its Y and PE flyers.

Good move - and as i said before - it was a mistake they butchered earn for Y and PE

They form the base load - and without them the plane can't fly profitably

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.