Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Stay tuned for exciting updates to our programme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay tuned for exciting updates to our programme

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Yup - same CP for a purchased I ($6k usually in my case) and student discounted ticket ($3k).

I really don't like this segment focused revenue based system
There are $3k I class tickets US to Asia???

Sounds interesting as I am a college student in the US too.

But that's only 200 cp...for the same amount or $3-4k I can get up to almost 400 flying ex outport
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
There are $3k I class tickets US to Asia???

Sounds interesting as I am a college student in the US too.

But that's only 200 cp...for the same amount or $3-4k I can get up to almost 400 flying ex outport
Yup. Maybe targeted at some school, not sure how my friends (MBA students) got them.

Interestingly, in another post today, CAN-HKG-YVR I fare is only ~$3k on CX website - never seen such generous offer directly from CX.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:18 pm

Yup. Maybe targeted at some school, not sure how my friends (MBA students) got them.

Interestingly, in another post today, CAN-HKG-YVR I fare is only ~$3k on CX website - never seen such generous offer directly from CX.
I just picked up a YVR-HKG I fare during CHristmas for 3680 CAD. There was even a companion ticket available for that time period.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by yannerd
I just picked up a YVR-HKG I fare during CHristmas for 3680 CAD. There was even a companion ticket available for that time period.
Why is my JFK-YVR leg so expensive...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
The problem is not just points system, the new "revenue-based" system exposed Cathay's biggest weakness in competition - pricing.
We need to stop referring to the Cathay program as "revenue-based". Revenue based is where the status earning, and mileage earning is directly linked to the dollars that you spend.

In the Cathay program two people flying in the same subclass, on the same route always earn the same Asia Miles and Club Points regardless of what they paid for the ticket. It's not revenue based.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
We need to stop referring to the Cathay program as "revenue-based". Revenue based is where the status earning, and mileage earning is directly linked to the dollars that you spend.

In the Cathay program two people flying in the same subclass, on the same route always earn the same Asia Miles and Club Points regardless of what they paid for the ticket. It's not revenue based.
I think that's exactly his/her point and why s/he used " " though...
Cathay Dragon 666 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
If anything, isn't MPC the exact opposite of revenue-based, given that ex-outport cheaper fares earn better than ex-HKG expensive fares?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:25 pm

Why is my JFK-YVR leg so expensive...
That flight is priced pretty strangely. But I think the "domestic" J market pricing is a joke to and from Canada. I booked AC J from YVR to YYZ and it was 5600 CAD RT (it's a 4 hour flight). Having said that, with MPC status, it's a pretty highly op-uped flight.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:30 pm

That flight is priced pretty strangely. But I think the "domestic" J market pricing is a joke to and from Canada. I booked AC J from YVR to YYZ and it was 5600 CAD RT (it's a 4 hour flight). Having said that, with MPC status, it's a pretty highly op-uped flight.
My cabin was empty, so no op-up at all. Good thing is I basically had the entire PEY all by myself. If it were A350 it would have been like (almost) J.

I do believe it's competing against China Southern (AA ), as they have both CAN - YVR and CAN - JFK direct. Not sure why the latter on CX (CAN - HKG - JFK) is so much more expensive.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
My cabin was empty, so no op-up at all. Good thing is I basically had the entire PEY all by myself. If it were A350 it would have been like (almost) J.

I do believe it's competing against China Southern (AA ), as they have both CAN - YVR and CAN - JFK direct. Not sure why the latter on CX (CAN - HKG - JFK) is so much more expensive.
Op-up rates have dropped significantly for me since the introduction of PEY., even on busy flights. Cathay will sell mixed cabin PEY/Y tickets instead of the major overselling of Y. Of course, I'm not going to maintain any MP status now either so even the low chances will be lost...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Let's try to keep this thread on topic of the Marco Polo changes coming.

Thanks
sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by eyeballer
Op-up rates have dropped significantly for me since the introduction of PEY., even on busy flights. Cathay will sell mixed cabin PEY/Y tickets instead of the major overselling of Y. Of course, I'm not going to maintain any MP status now either so even the low chances will be lost...
Sorry sxc. Going back to MPC.

Current MPC program makes it really hard for U.S. based customers (who do not travel to Asia multiple times a year and/or go coach on AA.) I am hoping this change could lure us back.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Sorry sxc.

Current MPC program makes it really hard for U.S. based customers (who do not travel to Asia multiple times a year and/or go coach on AA.) I am hoping this change could lure us back.
Why would you want to join MPC if you don't fly to Asia often aka don't actually fly CX much?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
Why would you want to join MPC if you don't fly to Asia often aka don't actually fly CX much?
The cheaper JFK<>YVR Y fares only earn AM/MP so might as well credit them. Getting back on topic.. I am interested to see if the new changes affect this route specifically.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I personally fly CX as much as I could, just have to credit them to AA, as that's the dAArk side now

If you are U.S. based, fly to HKG couple times a year and on weekly AA coach (normal business traveler), it's hard to get above MPC GO. I am replying to his/her comments (hard to maintain status on MPC), as I do wish to credit my flights back to MPC if the changes involve more CP for HKG - NA routes.

Originally Posted by eyeballer
The cheaper JFK<>YVR Y fares only earn AM/MP so might as well credit them. Getting back on topic.. I am interested to see if the new changes affect this route specifically.
You could always book E class (cheaper than full fare Y). Hoping for more as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.